Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Newbie hoping for some help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Newbie hoping for some help?

Hi all

I'm new to this section of 6speed having just sold my Cayenne Turbo for a 2005 CGT.

About the car, its covered 55k miles with Bentley plus 1 Bentley Indy history (they are ex Bentley techs who set up business 15 years ago). Its in black with cream and has the 20" Mulliner rims.

I bought it from a dealer I bought my 996 C4S from a few years ago and mistakenly didn't take as long as I should have inspecting it cosmetically and since getting it home have noticed a few niggly things that I will go back to them with but in the first instance Id like some help understanding the issues please?

1. The passenger door doesn't have a flush fit where it meets the rear quarter, its slight but being black its noticeable. Can the hinges be tweaked to refine the fit and is this probable indication of accident damage? The trim around the door opening doesn't look out of place but door fit up would be outside the norm, wouldn't it?

2. The drivers side rear side window has nipped the seal at the top when closing, don't know how long for but I can hear rattling from that area when driving suggesting the seal is stopping the glass from fully closing? Has anyone had this, if so, what's the fix please?

Thank you in advance

Carl

Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
you probably need a new division bar seal, thats whats it called.
i posted this long time ago, search thru my threads. mine was torn , 2 bentley dealers told me i had to buy a new quarter glass, i finally found 1 dealer that had a part number for me.

also my door has the same problem on the passenger side. it sticks out a little bit. no accidents

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
U could try adjusting the door lock hit plate but make sure u mark original position clearly.

I wouldn't go crazy so small adjustments to see if it helps with alignment.

Keep us posted

Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I also found a few marks and niggles after purchasing my 07 but I to accept that i did by a used car. I think your issues are fixable and wish you luck. As much as I love the Bentley I had to admit it was still a mechanical device and therefore subject to issues.

I was told years ago that " if it has wheels or **** it will give you problems".

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the comments and help, the seal i am talking about is the one along the top of the windows, its the area where the rear window curves around and down the C pillar along the roof line. It seems to be trapped by the window whereas the other side sits on the outside of the glass.

The door only appears to be proud around the middle section, as if too much curve for the rear quarter? The bottom is nice and flush with the sill and the top lines up well with the window trims along the length of the car, any ideas?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
can you load pictures of your problems ,that will give us a better clue to what is going on.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Here's some pics showing the side where the seal is being trapped, the other side for comparison and the door alignment. I have looked at the door today and the closer that fixed to the body of the car isnt positioned quite the same as the other side so I plan to make some adjustment, anyone know what size Torx is takes please and any tips on how to make such adjustments so i dont mess it up big time

Attached Images      
Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
to adjust the door i think it is a t30 or t25,loosen those off and just nip them up so with a little pressure the latch will move,then hold the door handle open and close the door to where you want it,carefully open making sure you have not let go of handle and tighten latch,close door and see progress. with that window seal,call bentley and order one,you will then see how far it goes and what needs removing to install.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks bentleytech I will have a look at the door myself but was concerned its the window that needs adjustment to prevent it nipping a new seal too, is that possible?

On a similar fault finding topic, is the boot / trunk supposed to pop open to its fullest open position when pulling the release button or pressing unlock on the fob? Mine unlocks but stays firmly closed and is very heavy to lift, sounds like the dampers have gone, right?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM
yeah the boot/trunk should pop up and be easy to lit,replace boot struts like you said ,window can be adjusted but you have to remove rear panel and you will see some adjustment bolts,pretty easy job. have you got the workshop cd for the car ?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM
No I haven't, yet, LOL

Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Hi

I don't have auto boot option so when I release it just unlocks n requires me to "lift" it open.

Do u mean it should pop fully open like the do on Mercs?

Thanks
J

Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
no it should not fully open,just pop off the latch.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 AM
I saw a video on YouTube (think it was an SS or Speed)where the lid opens on its own, is that an option or standard?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 AM
that was on the 06MY onwards,can't be fitted to earlier models as far as i know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie hoping for some help?