Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Rear Window Stuck Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
Rear Window Stuck Down

Hello

Why is owning my Continental GT like owning an old TVR?

Is it me or are the electrics on these cars fragile? So after my headlights failing, and then miraculously started working again 3 days later, my windscreen wipers failing, and then miraculously started working again 3 days later, a 'Battery Low' warning, which miraculously went away 3 days later (I see a pattern here!) I now have a passenger rear window which went down and shows no interest in returning.

Of course it waited until the weather turned all wet and Autumn like. A touch annoyed? Just a bit.

It looks to me as quite a task to get to the rear window mechanism. Any suggestions or advice (or comments on the above).

Thanks

Chris

Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
before you go jumping ahead and switching window mechanisms ,re-initialize the windows, i think you have a dud main battery which is giving you electrical problems. replacing the rear window reg is not for the faint hearted and i am only a short drive away ,i am mobile as well. to reinitialise sit in car with all doors closed,start engine and drivers window first take it all the way to the bottom with finger on switch ,release finger after you hear relay click out and do that 3 times ,then take window all the way to top using your finger and hold at top for about 3 secs ,release then pull switch up,do this 3 times and then passenger frt window ,then passenger rear and then drivers rear.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi BentleyTech

I always appreciate your posts.

I take your point about it looking like a battery causing the window to stay down. If this was the case why do all the other windows operate normally?

When the window first stuck down (9:00pm last night dark and drizzling) I tried to raise it and it sounded as if the mechanism wasn't engaging though the motors were trying. Now I get no sound at all.

I will try to re-initialising the windows following your advice. Are the control systems independent? I wondered if I only need to try the faulty rear passenger window.

Many thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
for some unknown reason it is always the left rear window that stays down,it won't work correctly if not initialised ,you have to initialise all four windows.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM
How interesting. Do you know if the windows have to be initialised in any particular order? I wondered if the passenger rear should be done last.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 AM
didnt you read my previous post,its left frt,rt ft then rt rear and then left rear. now sometimes the left rear is a nuisance so when i used to PDI the cars on road test i would continuously lift the left rear window switch to make sure it was done,symptons of uninitialised windows are the rear windows sit down about an inch or drop when you lock car. actually in my previous post i treated the car as left hand drive because that what they are in the States.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the clarification (and patience!). It does look like a new battery has to be the starting point. Do I need to buy an OEM battery from a Bentley dealer or can I purchase a specific battery elsewhere which may be considerably less money for just as good a battery?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM
just has to meet specs ,bentley batteries are expensive and i have a contact that may get it cheaper if you want me to try him ,once installed you need to clear codes and set everything up. call bentley and ask how much they charge to install a battery or how much one of their batteries is so you know what price you have to beat.... i am off out to do an MOT . let me know what you want to do,if you want me to come and help i will, i don't break anybodies bank !!!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
WES77Y will become famous soon enoughWES77Y will become famous soon enough
The beauty of buying one of the fancy Ctek battery conditioners is that you can change the battery without losing any settings or bringing up any codes. Probably cheaper to purchase than a trip to Bentley too! A freebie let say!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Update

Hello All, here's an update.

I discussed my situation with Bentley Kent in Sevenoaks. They couldn't have been more helpful. I visited them this morning and we discussed again the options. Having ascertained that the battery was 7 years old and despite driving for 1.5 hrs to get there it had virtually no charge. The charging system is all good so I said not to look into it any further just replace it, which they did.

After a quick look the technician reckoned that the steel cable which raises and lowers the rear window had broken. I asked them to take it apart and have a look and sure enough it was a broken cable so a new drive mechanism has been ordered. Below is a picture of the rear which may be of interest to some:

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Tintin; 09-13-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Photo not displaying
Old 09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Do you know what I recon Bentleytech's rep isn't high enough for what he does on this forum. I'm giving him a rep point as he is by far the best contributor of help.
So come on help get his rep up and give him a point too.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:29 PM
dtbh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Do you know what I recon Bentleytech's rep isn't high enough for what he does on this forum. I'm giving him a rep point as he is by far the best contributor of help.
So come on help get his rep up and give him a point too.
I agree and have already done it.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 PM
thank you ,i am not sure what to say,it is a pleasure to help you guys if i can !

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 AM
I've done the same.

Always great to hear from you BentleyTech.

Does anyone know why my photo doesn't appear to display.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tintin
I've done the same.

Always great to hear from you BentleyTech.

Does anyone know why my photo doesn't appear to display.
Have you set your Avatar up correctly? you have to check click the use custom picture.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Stuck Down