Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

3rd brake light problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:02 AM
yanacha is on a distinguished road
3rd brake light problem

hello friends I have a problem on the 3rd brake light.
I have an indicator light that appears by intermitance dash about the third brake light.
After having a closer look at this one, there in the water inside.
Do you know where she comes from?
And how to disassemble this part?

thank you very much for your help

Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
There are several posts on this forum related to this subject. Bentley refers to this part as the HIGH MOUNTED STOP LAMP. To replace the part, the service manual says the rear window must be removed. If, after searching the forum, you don't find what you are looking for, PM me and I'll send you specific instructions. This is not a serviceable part and I don't recommend it as a DIY project.

Last edited by PMS; 06-30-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM
yanacha is on a distinguished road
But there is a procedure for disassembly without disassemble the rear window?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
The wiring connections for the HMSL require not only the removal of the rear window but also the package shelf in the rear. In short, I am not aware of any workaround for this. Please search the forum as I know this is a common problem and there has been a lot of discussion about repair.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
there is way to repair without removing rear window. i believe it is done through c pillar on drivers side( U S model). i had done about 1 year ago. cost $1100.00

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM
PMS
It helps if you tell us what year and model Bentley your are attempting to repair.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
bentley now sell a kit that means the rear window can stay in, you have to cut the lip off that sits below the window thenyou have to get a slide hammer, drill 3 small holes across the led light and insert a screw style slide hammer, with precise hits you can lift the unit out,on the left hand side using a hot knife cut a hole through the window sealant,thread a piece of wire through and find the original connector, with the new led light de-pin the connector and feed through hole. it takes about a while first time, before inserting new light there is a black tape in kit you lay down,remember you need a good silicone and rust proof primer for exposed metal.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
My 3rd brake light also sometimes randomly goes off. Haha now every time I start my car, I pray no random beeps