Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

After 6 Years, Moving On...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
After 6 Years, Moving On...

I bought my first Bentley Continental GTC in 2008 and have owned two more since. I'll never stop loving the GTC but it doesn't fit my current needs and preferences so this fall I'm going to order a Mercedes CLS63 AMG S Model. It's very luxurious although nowhere near as luxurious as the Bentley, is actually more comfortable, and is a lot sportier. It's in super car territory in terms of acceleration (best test so far on the 2014 - which has a little less HP - is 0-60 in 3.2 seconds & 1/4-mile in 11.6 seconds) from 585 HP and AWD. It has roomier rear seats than the GTC and easier ingress and egress for the occasional rear seat passenger. It has very advanced technology that my GTCs have lacked such as lane change assist, automatic braking, LED headlights that self-dim and actively follow the road, active cruise control, etc. And, it costs half the price of a GT.

I want matte silver paint and that's a $3,950 option; on the Bentley it's a $36,500 option.

I'm sure that every time I'll see a GTC in the future I'll feel a little nostalgic but I'll be comforted by putting my right foot down and getting pinned back in my seat!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-mercedes-benz-cls63-amg-cockpit.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	394300   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-mercedes-cls-63-amg-gets-more-power-4matic-photo-gallery_11.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	394301   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_mercedes-benz_cls63_amg_39_1920x1080.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	394302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes-E63-AMG_S-DV-13-DAS-i08.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	394303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes-Benz-CLS63_AMG_2015_1600x1200_wallpaper_23.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	394304  

Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM
CHAOS236 will become famous soon enoughCHAOS236 will become famous soon enough
Nice,
have considered a ed GT bit the non sporty aspect caused me to pass.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
The CL(S) is so much more advanced than the B in terms of tech. The CL(S) is a great performance car too!

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-07-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:53 PM
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Pictured above is the CLS, not the CL. The CLS has 4 doors and is slightly larger than the CL although a few hundred pounds lighter. The CL will be called the S Coupe in 2015 and is very attractive, but not what I'm going to get. They both have a lot of advanced technology not offered in the Bentley and both look great, IMO, though I prefer the CLS and that's what I'm going to order. Below is the CLS63 for 2015. Next to it in white is the 2015 S63 Coupe.

Name:	Mercedes-Benz-CLS63_AMG_2015_1600x1200_wallpaper_1a.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	394383   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-4matic-coupe-side-view.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	394385  

Last edited by SanibelSpeed; 07-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:57 PM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
will you compare the drive of each car from miami to sanibel for us?

Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by larryr
will you compare the drive of each car from miami to sanibel for us?
Absolutely, but it won't be until October/November the earliest before I'll get the CLS63.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 PM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
I bought my first Bentley Continental GTC in 2008 and have owned two more since. I'll never stop loving the GTC but it doesn't fit my current needs and preferences so this fall I'm going to order a Mercedes CLS63 AMG S Model. It's very luxurious although nowhere near as luxurious as the Bentley, is actually more comfortable, and is a lot sportier. It's in super car territory in terms of acceleration (best test so far on the 2014 - which has a little less HP - is 0-60 in 3.2 seconds & 1/4-mile in 11.6 seconds) from 585 HP and AWD. It has roomier rear seats than the GTC and easier ingress and egress for the occasional rear seat passenger. It has very advanced technology that my GTCs have lacked such as lane change assist, automatic braking, LED headlights that self-dim and actively follow the road, active cruise control, etc. And, it costs half the price of a GT.

I'm sure that every time I'll see a GTC in the future I'll feel a little nostalgic but I'll be comforted by putting my right foot down and getting pinned back in my seat!
This reminds me of the time when a good friend, many moons ago in a simpler time, bought a Lincoln. He was anxious to show his dad the car and get his approval. After careful consideration his father said "Well son, that's a mighty fine automobile, but it ain't no Cadillac!"

I have owned 7 Mercedes in my life including a V12 and I still own 2 of the 7. I might be wrong, but I think you, like General Douglas MacArthur, shall return.

Last edited by MerryMicrobe; 07-06-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
i just came back from a drive in my 04 GT. 10 years and i still smell the leather when i get in. will a mercedes do that?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
First, i meant CLS not CL in my above post. Fyi was going to get a CL65 and looked for about 16 months solid for a proper deal/car when the triple black B GT came up for sale and glad i grabbed her. The new CLS Mercedes is far and away more modern technical, yet after all the 600+ miles driving this weekend from long highway stretches, some bumper-to-bumper traffic, great mountain twistiest by MT. Washington Resort.... For myself the B GTC was the way to go. Each car model has a unique purpose and we all have preferences. The CLS is an amazing car in its own right and am sure you'll love the advanced wizardy plus pooooooower (as Jeremy C says).

Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Enjoythemusic, did you go to the top of Mt. Washington? I've never made the drive but have taken the cog train several times. NH is lovely country. Enjoy!

Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by larryr
i just came back from a drive in my 04 GT. 10 years and i still smell the leather when i get in. will a mercedes do that?
Doubtful that it will. That's one thing I'll definitely miss. My car smells soooo wonderful!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks for asking. Wife and I had a great time at Mt. Washington Resort! Was debating Four Seasons in Boston for fireworks, yet am glad I chose the resort instead. Alas, we never drove to the top or did the cog train. We did do the tree-top zip line tour (9 zip lines from tree to tree, two rope descents, two rope/wood bridges). Also took the romantic horse-drawn carriage. They had fireworks Friday and Saturday too! Love NH/VT area for many reasons.

Side Bar: One afternoon when we were there, a family was sitting on the couches in the main entry. Their two 12-ish year old boys were passing around a smartphone and noticed they were looking at pics of the car(!). [The Resort kept the GTC parked up front our entire stay.] So, I walked up to the parents and asked if they wanted their kids to get a closer look at the car including the inside.... I let each of them sit in the driver's seat and yes they were so very excited and took many pics.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	394680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	394681   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	394682  

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM
The Bretton Woods Resort is wonderful. We've stayed there and have made several day trips and had lunch there when we went to the top of Mt. Washington.

Up here in VT/NH even my wife's '06 Jaguar XKR convertible is exotic! Back in FL it would never get a second look but up here in Woodstock we'd get thumbs up all the time. I drive my '63 Austin-Healey up here and it gets shout outs and compliments every time I drive into town.

We love it up here!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Wonderful! Nice with that '63 Austin-Healey I bet too!

Just stole these two pics from my wife's smartphone.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	394693   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	394694  

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-06-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Sanibel I hope you enjoy your car and remember cars change out easier than wives so you ain't never married to no car. (triple negative intended for emphasis).

I am puzzled by the fact that as you age you need more speed? Whats next a Lambo?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 07-07-2014 at 07:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: After 6 Years, Moving On...