Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Engine out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Found this excellent video of the GT clearing showing the hissing from a smoke test and after video with replacement metal vac lines.

Indy in this video commented vac lines are a common problem from 2004 to early 2006 but some of our 2007 members also have this problem. Did Bentley ever resolve this problem before the new model came out?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 8.57.55 pm.png
Views:	780
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	402146  

Last edited by jc_333; 09-18-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Interesting videos...

After viewing both, I found the Part 1 video segment, which shows the vacuum pump location.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Have not heard of an 08 or newer having the problem.... yet time will tell.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Well, I hope that none of you have this problem.
The price at the main dealer to fix it was £3,554. Although that did include a new exhaust gas sensor, new auxiliary pulley belt and a new paddle shift control unit.
That was on top of the £1,895 I paid the week previously for an 8 year service which included two new cam sensors, a new door mirror and a new boot release button plus MOT test.

All in all, a costly few days. Unfortunately, the paddle shift still has the same fault, so I guess I didn't need a new £354 control unit. The main dealer now reckons it may be a wiring problem. I had already told them that it was intermittent so am surprised they didn't check the wiring first. He said the original control unit was faulty anyway so I have no comeback. As I needed the car for a trip away I had to take it as it is.

It's a pity that the Indy was too busy to repair my car at the time, it would have saved me a lot of cash. I think he will get my full patronage from now on though.

Les.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Tbh the charge for dealer repair isn't too bad! Considering how many parts have to be removed they could charge you 5G easily.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM
arbuckle44 is on a distinguished road
Indication(s) of problem

As I own an '07 GTC - this plastic vac line issue concerns me. Would you please state your initial observation(s) that a problem existed which would
require a repair. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Loss of power... Engine stumbles... engine light turns on. I noticed a loss in power when first getting the GTC and seems it took a bit longer for the light/problem to truly rear their ugly head. If I had not had a previous GT, one would probably not notice the loss of power before things get too bad and thus stumble/engine light.

Have a smoke test done on the car.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Bentley Tech NC has a spectacular aura aboutBentley Tech NC has a spectacular aura aboutBentley Tech NC has a spectacular aura about
Hello People,
I am glad that the videos I posted have helped people see the issues these cars have had.
The vacuum line configuration has changed in mid 2006 and up. There are other areas on newer models that have leaked from the plastic connectors cracking, I will post pictures soon. A good way to perform a quick check is to start the engine and open the drivers door,( so you can hear the vacuum pump ) count how many times you pump the brake pedal until the pump kicks on. It should be at least 3-5 pumps to kick the pump on. If you can hear the pump run all the time and never kick off, you might have a vacuum leak.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
And for us Brits, it's the passenger door. The pump is behind the left front wing/fender.

I only became aware of the problem when the Indy doing the service found it.
I'm glad Bentley seem to have addressed the problem on later cars.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 AM
syavik is on a distinguished road
Parts to be replaced?

Does anyone have part numbers that needs to be replaced?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 AM
3W1612041S Vacuum Pipe $355.55

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 AM
So only 1 line not 2 or 3? I have 06 GT. Just spoke to dealer in the area, he said that 3W1612041S fits 08+ GT's and he hasn't sold any this year, however the one that fits my car is 3W1612041M and list is $505.33 and he has sold 3 this year. Any idea if there is any aftermarket hoses?

Last edited by syavik; 10-20-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM
No idea, yet what I posted is the hose they changed on my receipt for an 07 GTC.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 PM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
i think it is recommended to change the starter while the engine is out

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine out.