Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Thinking of buying a 2004 Bentley GT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM
steppe2223 is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying a 2004 Bentley GT.

I am thinking of buying a 2004 Bentley GT with 45k miles for $58k. The dealer stated he did an oil change, replaced the TPS on all 4 tires, and changed the 3rd break light. I know the dealer gets the cars from auction. I checked the car fax and it's a two owner car. Not too much info on the services done though. It does look like the gear shift **** was changed a few times?? What else if any should I check on the car. I know there is a 40k mile service. I would be using this as a daily driver. Is this year a reliable car and do you think the local Bentley Dealer here in Charlotte, NC would provide me a derive history? Thanks Jon-

Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM
JJV104 is on a distinguished road
Hi Jon,

Is this car being sold by the Bentley dealer or an independent dealer? Oil changes are important but The Bentley recommended service, 10 year for this car, would be about $2500. Things like replacing the TPMS sensors would be additional. The Carfax should list the dealer that did the services. Call them and ask them what services were done. The 2004 was the first year for the GT and there might be issues. Every car is unique. Probably depends more on how the car was taken care of. I've heard of several that needed the 3rd brake light. Expensive repair.

I have a 2005 and use it as a daily driver for 3 seasons. Stored winters. Some minor quirks in the electrical system but the car is so great I can live with those. I've had mine for two years. I know this is shameful but mine is for sale. Here's the link to the Auto Trader ad. Feedback would be appreciated. In return I'll try to answer your questions without bias.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...83507834&Log=0

John

Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi John, thanks for the reply and your car looks nice too. If I may ask, what are you thinking of going to and why are you selling yours? I have a BMW 750Li and a Maserati QP. I decided to sale both and get something a little more sporty. I am 36 years old and I think the Bentley would be a good fit for me. I need the option of a back seat, since I have a 10 year old. The dealer has the price at $63,995 and since I am a return customer said he would give it to me for 58k. They have a high end service centre and I may be able to work the 10 year service into the deal. I hate I have to drop down several years from the vehicles I have now but due to the price of the Bentley's I would have to. I thought about the 2006-2007 DB9 and the 2008-2009 Maser GT but I keep going back to the Bentley.

Here is a link to the car. Let me know what you think.

http://www.metrolinaautogroup.com/20..._241422285.veh

Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 AM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
i'm so luck to bought 2004 CGT for daily drive.the car don't have any big problem.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
another expense to be aware of is that the front struts wear out at about 8-10 years. any bentley dealer can provide recommended factory 10 year service. be sure that has been done or you do. i too bought a 2004 a few years ago with 45000 miles. great car. buy and enjoy!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the compliment. It's in great condition. I searched a long time to find the right one. Flew to Palm Springs and Charleston to look at GTs at Bentley dealers. Both had accident damage that they denied knowing about. CarFax doesn't show all accidents so a thorough inspection is in order. A good body shop can find issues if you don't have the experience. Ended up buying mine in Detroit.

The Bentley is a great car. Love the power. It turns more heads and gets more thumbs up than any car I've ever owned, including Porsches, M3s and Audis. I've had it for two years and its just time for a change. I'm thinking about a 2012-13 BMW 650ix. 2012 is the first year of the 6 series without the Bangle butt.

The car you are looking at looks very nice. Definitely get the dealer to work the 10 year service into the deal. Just to be clear, make sure Metrolina has the service done by the Bentley dealer. There are some codes that only the dealer can access and their techs are probably more familiar with the car and potential issues. Also make sure you get a copy of the service order.

I'm going to give the buyer of my car the option of a discount or having the 9 year service done by the Bentley dealer.

Good luck with the negotiations.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Bought the 2004 today after having a PPI done. On the way home several people pulled up beside me to take a picture. Even though it's a 2004 I don't think anyone would ever know. Already a lot more attention then my Maserati QP. Thanks for everyones impute.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
steppe good luck with it. I got a 2004 last month in Charlotte NC traded my 911 Turbo for it not one regret.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Congratulations on becoming a Bentley owner. I hope you have many trouble free years of ownership and see lots of thumbs up.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Now Just put some 26's on it and be Baller hehehehehehehe

Congrats buddy, can't wait to get my hands on it for a paint correction and glassing. Look forward to it.

Glad you got what you really wanted, now time for me to get my AM

Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi, I think the 19's are large enough SheriffDep..Hahaha. Handles a lot better then my BMW 750 or Maserati QP.. After a few about 10m leaving the dealership the parking, engine, and stability control dash lights came on. Not too worried since I know the dealer will fix any issues I have, but not a good feeling. I head that I may need to get a new battery, since a week one may cause the lights to show. The entire vehicle is in mint condition and could pass as a 2012-2013 as clean as it is. There is not the normal paint or entire issues that I notched on even some of the newer ones, 2008-20011's that I have noticed. Other then the dash lights everything is AWSOME!!. Thanks for everyone helping me out on my decision.

I passed up on a 2009 Maserati GT, 2005 Porch 911, 2005 Aston DB9, and the 2005 Aston V8 Vantage for this one. I traded in my 750 and Maser QP for this one. I am almost 36 and wanted something a little more sporty/sexy. Though the Bentley is only a 2004 it does not feel like a used car. There is no bluetooth and iPod adapter (which can be added) or pouch bottom start, but other then that it's good to go.

I already can tell the Bentley gets more looks then my Maserati. It's a real head turner. It's a nice feeling when you pull up to valet and people are taking pics of the car. Getting a lot of wows and thumbs up...

Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Steppe,

I've had similar issues with my 2005. I get a TPMS Fault every so often. If I hit recalibrate it goes away. I also get parking brake and ABS faults occasionally. Once the car is shut off, key removed and restarted everything is fine. Less of an issue when the car is driven daily.

You may need a new left battery (the one that runs all the electronics except for the starter) but it might just need charging. You can check the date stamp on the battery but if the battery has been allowed to go dead a few times it will permanently ruin the battery.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks JJV104, I will get the battery checked today. I hope this does the trick.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Welcome to Bentley ownership. They are fine cars and do have a nice road presence. They are mechanical/electrical things and will give some aggravation so be, it that is life, and we have to take the whole package.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone, good news. I took the GT back to the dealer for them to check out the dash warring lights. The stability control, engine and parking lights were all on. The lights were an easy fix. One of the valves under the front of the car had come loose, causing the engine to misfire. The dealer put on a new clamp on the valve and no more lights. This car is AWSOME to say the least.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2004 Bentley GT.