Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

19" Mulliner two piece wheel noise?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:45 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
19" Mulliner two piece wheel noise?

Hi guys,

One of my 19" mulliner two piece wheel is making some noise when the car is moving. I had it temporarily repaired before where the guy said something was loose and he had to glue it. That was two years ago. Now the problem is back.

Two questions:

1. Is this a common problem?
2. How to fix it?

Old 12-03-2015, 06:10 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I had the 19" two-piece Mulliners and we discovered there might be a structural integrity problem so to be safe we threw them out. You can get a set of 19" single-piece rims for around $900 on eBay. If the rims separate during a drive the outcome could be troublesome. If you choose to fix them again, please be sure the repair facility is insured against catastrophic damage.

Are you seeing rub marks at the end tips of the center rim insert as it meets with the outer rim section? That was the tell-tale sign and I'm never one to chance it.

PS: Think I do have ONE good Mulliner rim here and all four centers and inserts. If you choose to replace that rim and looking to buy another one in good condition let me know. Personally, while I LOVE the look of those rims I feel it may be best to get single-piece or the newer designed 20"/21" versions.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-03-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I had a similar noise on my 20" Mulliners. After a lot of investigation, it turned out to be the center cap (which is itself two-piece). By "center cap", I am referring to the chrome/plastic ring that hides the lug bolts, not the "B" logo dust cap. Some strong epoxy fixed the problem. This is not to say that you shouldn't check your wheel integrity, just check the center caps first.

Last edited by PMS; 12-03-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Steven and Peter.

I will do some check on the wheel to see if there is anything loose like Peter suggested. The noise has gotten louder now and the car vibrates while travelling at high speed.

I will get it taken care of ASAP because it doesn't seem too safe.

Last edited by lilo1980; 12-10-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:36 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, I know that feeling well. Check near the outer lip for metal-to-metal rubbing at the 'points'. That's why I dumped the 19" Mulliner set that came with the car. BTW, found the spare one in case you want to keep those rims. Frankly, it may simply be a matter of time until... so get single piece 19" or the newer design 20" / 21" multi-piece.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Thanks Steven.

Do you drive your car in the snow with snow tires?

My 19" mulliners are my winter beater wheels. Is there any convention for winter tires that we should not go above 19" for winter tires?

Lastly, my winter tires have about 4mm treads left. They are Pirelli SottoZero Series II. I couldn't find any information about Pirelli's recommendation replacement tread depth.

Any tips?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by lilo1980
Do you drive your car in the snow with snow tires?

I did for years using 19" one-piece chromed Bentley rims with Blizzak tires. Multi-piece are a big no-no in my book with sand/salt.

My 19" mulliners are my winter beater wheels. Is there any convention for winter tires that we should not go above 19" for winter tires?

Well, I feel the higher sidewall helps to keep the rims away from the sand/salt to some degree. Small, yes, but some. Personally would not use multi-piece for winter snow.

Lastly, my winter tires have about 4mm treads left. They are Pirelli SottoZero Series II. I couldn't find any information about Pirelli's recommendation replacement tread depth.

Not a clue, so best call Pirelli and ask them.

A bit more info...... 19" rims can be had fairly inexpensively on eBay as no one appears to want them (preferring around 21" seems to be the fashion). The multi-piece Mulliners in the snow.... I'd never do it. Those rims look great, they really do and do miss their visuals for the summer. Bentley offers a larger rim with virtually the same look. My best guess is that as we both suffered the same problems with the 19", thus there might be some long-term flaw with them. As am residing in FL now, may investigate 21" same Mulliner style rims once I burn through this set of 19" Mich PSS tires. FL weather allows for more 'bling', far smoother roadways and all that

Frankly, the Bentley Mulliner 19" were deemed so unsafe imho that they were thrown in garbage other than keeping the single best rim of the set of four as a 'just in case' backup rim. Even told the trash guys, who know I can throw out some good items from time to time, to NOT save the rims or pay to have them refurbed. In fact I DID send the 19" multi-piece Mulliner rims to a refurb company to check them out and they agreed with my assessment and thus were unwilling to rebuild them unless a form was signed completely alleviating them of any liability. We spoke about them at length and agreed it was time to trash them.

Apologies for harping on this yet again, though multi-piece for winter snow with sands/salt is not something I'd dare do. Single piece for winter imho should be your goal at this point in time. Just checked eBay and there are a few single-piece factory rim options from Bentley there for well under $1000. If it was me, I'd quickly change rims. It is not the value of the rims you have, or even the car quite frankly, it is your safety and those on the roadways around you if something in the rims fail.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM
mewyn will become famous soon enoughmewyn will become famous soon enough
Wheel defect

Hi : How about a picture of the offending wheel. Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Giat is an unknown quantity at this point
19" bentley mulliner 2 piece rims question

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
I had the 19" two-piece Mulliners and we discovered there might be a structural integrity problem so to be safe we threw them out. You can get a set of 19" single-piece rims for around $900 on eBay. If the rims separate during a drive the outcome could be troublesome. If you choose to fix them again, please be sure the repair facility is insured against catastrophic damage.

Are you seeing rub marks at the end tips of the center rim insert as it meets with the outer rim section? That was the tell-tale sign and I'm never one to chance it.

PS: Think I do have ONE good Mulliner rim here and all four centers and inserts. If you choose to replace that rim and looking to buy another one in good condition let me know. Personally, while I LOVE the look of those rims I feel it may be best to get single-piece or the newer designed 20"/21" versions.
Could you elaborate on the bentley mulliner 19" wheel issue. I am looking for a 19" mulliner 2 piece wheel for a bentley continental gt 2005. I need it for a spare. I have never had any problems with the wheels on this car, i would like like to know more.
Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Giat is an unknown quantity at this point
I am looking for a good 19" mulliner 2 piece silver with polished rim,

Originally Posted by Giat
Could you elaborate on the bentley mulliner 19" wheel issue. I am looking for a 19" mulliner 2 piece wheel for a bentley continental gt 2005. I need it for a spare. I have never had any problems with the wheels on this car, i would like like to know more.
Thanks
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic

Do you know where i can get a good 19" mulliner 2 piece wheel 19" x 9" for a 2005 bentley?