Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 continental gt o2 sensor removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:17 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
05 continental gt o2 sensor removal?

Hey i got a check engine light on and the codes are p0160 which is bank 2 sensor 2 o2 sensor and code p2279 which is intake system leak. How hard is it to replace the o2 sensor?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
using "search this thread" find my post:
Bank 2 o2 sensor workaround

Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PMS
using "search this thread" find my post: Bank 2 o2 sensor workaround
Yea i found it. Do u think i can remove the rear sensor without even taking anything off? Of is the rear one still hard to get to? Also before i mess with the o2 sensor i will see if i can find any intake air leaks because ive been told many times that a intake air system leak could cause the o2 sensor to go on.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:25 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I don't think the config has changed much over time. Mine is an 05. IMHO The "post-cat" sensor (i.e. below the pre-cat) is virtually impossible to change without removing the pre-cat. The best way to check for air leaks is with a smoke test. Note: there is a specific protocol for doing the smoke test in order to isolate any leaks.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
I don't think the config has changed much over time. Mine is an 05. IMHO The "post-cat" sensor (i.e. below the pre-cat) is virtually impossible to change without removing the pre-cat. The best way to check for air leaks is with a smoke test. Note: there is a specific protocol for doing the smoke test in order to isolate any leaks.
Oh i see. I was going to do the leak test with either propane or starting fluid like i have done on most other cars. Is that fine if i do that on the bentley?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
PMS
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Oh i see. I was going to do the leak test with either propane or starting fluid like i have done on most other cars. Is that fine if i do that on the bentley?
Sorry I don't know the answer re propane or starting fluid. The easiest air leak to find is at the center top of the firewall with the two hoses going into the intake manifold. The most problematic air leak is in the T junction of the air line
over the transmission. This one requires an engine out procedure!

Beside the CEL, do you have any other symptoms?

For your possible interest there are several youtube videos showing smoke testing on a Bentley. I don't have the specific URL but I'm sure you can find them.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
Sorry I don't know the answer re propane or starting fluid. The easiest air leak to find is at the center top of the firewall with the two hoses going into the intake manifold. The most problematic air leak is in the T junction of the air line over the transmission. This one requires an engine out procedure! Beside the CEL, do you have any other symptoms? For your possible interest there are several youtube videos showing smoke testing on a Bentley. I don't have the specific URL but I'm sure you can find them.
I will be sure to check those spots. So the idle is rough, sometimes stalls, and it smokes a little. Im guessing it smokes because of the bad fuel/air ratio

Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM
PMS
I will be sure to check those spots. So the idle is rough, sometimes stalls, and it smokes a little. Im guessing it smokes because of the bad fuel/air ratio
When you step on the brake, do you hear a pump running on the left side just behind the wheel arch? Does the pump keep running when you lift your foot off the brake?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
When you step on the brake, do you hear a pump running on the left side just behind the wheel arch? Does the pump keep running when you lift your foot off the brake?
I havnt checked. But if it does then what does that mean? As soon as i get home i will check.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 PM
PMS
I havnt checked. But if it does then what does that mean? As soon as i get home i will check.
It is extremely difficult to do a remote diagnostic. If the pump keeps running, it generally indicates and confirms that you have a vacuum leak. Where it is is the next question. Do you have the ability to do a
"deep level" system scan? I.E..
Vas5054A?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
It is extremely difficult to do a remote diagnostic. If the pump keeps running, it generally indicates and confirms that you have a vacuum leak. Where it is is the next question. Do you have the ability to do a "deep level" system scan? I.E.. Vas5054A?
When i pressed on the brakes i didnt hear anything turn on. I checked the fuses inside the car under the steering wheel and the 15 amp vacuum pump fuse which is number 7 is blown. I replaced it and it keeps going out. What could be causing the fuse to go? And where exactly is that pump? Thanks for all your help by the way!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 PM
There is a local shop that can scan the car and do the vacuum test but they are pretty busy so i want to see if i can figure it out.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
And where exactly is that pump?
It's shown in the second video that I posted, below the blue 3 chamber vacuum reservoir in the drivers side wheel well.

Johnny J J

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum pump.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	436552  

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-06-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:09 AM
PMS
When i pressed on the brakes i didnt hear anything turn on. I checked the fuses inside the car under the steering wheel and the 15 amp vacuum pump fuse which is number 7 is blown. I replaced it and it keeps going out. What could be causing the fuse to go? And where exactly is that pump? Thanks for all your help by the way!
Here is a diagram of all the fuses in the driver's compartment (see attachment: "driver's panel.pdf").

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
driver's panel.pdf (257.9 KB, 121 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 continental gt o2 sensor removal?