Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Is the "Speed" upgrade worth the price.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Is the "Speed" upgrade worth the price.

Been looking at Bentleys forever, got distracted and bought two R8's and a Ferrari and a few classics since I started looking last. Both were great cars but completely inadequate for doing 25 miles a hour through LA in traffic or for the litteral 1 hour commute that I have for the 10 miles home. I need to be able to leave La Jolla and be in LA and be supremely comfortable.

Been looking at a 08-09 CGT, all are under 20K miles. Really just interested in a good color, and light interior with the stereo. I keep seeing "SPEED" CGT's popping up in good colors. I like the wheels but is the bigger brake kit and extra power needed. I definitely do not want one with Carbon brakes.

Most are dealer cars with 20K service on them, looking at 6-7K miles a year. Is the speed premium worth it, is it more saught after if and when I sell the car.

Parts and service for the car are decidedly lower then the F car.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Have you driven both?

The characteristics of the speed is definitely worth it. A bit tighter suspension, more sensitive throttle inputs, bigger brakes really make the already great CGT that much better. I wouldn't say there is a night and day difference to them but if you are picky, extremely detailed and want a tad more athletic feeling car with the luxuries, the speed is it.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:46 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Oh man, I KNOW those roads. Frankly, get the regular as you don't need the tighter/firm suspension as the std GT has four settings and that should be fine. Brakes work well for normal driving and if for some reason you think you need more engine power an ECU flash will solve that (and add a bit more response to the loud pedal). From what you said it seems you want a cruiser (GT) and not a bruiser (GTC).

As for service and parts costs, still very high and why you should seek out a good Cali indie or the VW dealership. Not much in the world is Maranello high, been there.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 02-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Think I typed out the service thing while still without coffee. Its a VW under the skin in some ways I can do the service here at home with the VAGCOM. At least parts are shared a bit with other platforms. Brakes, starters, sensors that sort of stuff is easy. I have seen these things with like 280K miles with minimal issues on the mechanics as long as they are maintained and you keep a eye on the suspension and ball joint.

What I want i the car is my 57 Cadillac with modern bits and pieces. Basically a smoking jacket for me to sit in while I wait for the light to change or the freeway to open-up while listening to music so I am not blown out after the commute.

Going fast and making noise, I have those sorts of cars already. I thought the speed was just wheels and ECU tune with the carbon brakes as a option. Did not know the suspension and steering was tightened up as well. Guess I could just buy the wheels.

Thanks for the heads up guys. If you see a 08 or 09 in a light blue or saint james red with the linen or saddle interior in a CGT give me a quick PM.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
The speed also has a nicer interior.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Thanks for the heads up guys. If you see a 08 or 09 in a light blue or saint james red with the linen or saddle interior in a CGT give me a quick PM.
Good hearing from you WearyMicrobe. This is the rebranded Grwisher speaking. Hope you don't mind my borrowing the Microbe part.

As for as the 1 hour 10 mile commute consider getting a Ghost. It is the perfect PMC for not giving a rats *** about anything, traffic included.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by MerryMicrobe
Good hearing from you WearyMicrobe. This is the rebranded Grwisher speaking. Hope you don't mind my borrowing the Microbe part.

As for as the 1 hour 10 mile commute consider getting a Ghost. It is the perfect PMC for not giving a rats *** about anything, traffic included.
Always need more microbes around here.

FYI I am 34 and look like I just crawled out of the surf. Jeans and T**** everyday. I can barely pull off the Bentley without looking like someone assistant. The Ghost would be a car to far IMO, though I LOVE them.

Now a Silver cloud, that would be fun.

I can get away looking scrubby in the R8 or the classics.

On the fence right now between the Bentley and getting another R8. Both are comfortable enough to get by, the Bentley would be cheaper though and better on road trips to Vegas. I could almost get a 2012-13 for the cost of the r8.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:30 AM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough

FYI I am 34 and look like I just crawled out of the surf. Jeans and T**** everyday. I can barely pull off the Bentley without looking like someone assistant.
Like I said "you won't give a rats *** about anything, the traffic, how you appear to others, etc."

Microbes rule!

Old 02-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Drove a 2011 GTC Speed today, been on the lot for like 2 years in storage. Amazingly started right up, drove fine even with horrible old gas in it.

The speed interior especially the steering wheel is much much nicer. I might be able to steal this one around 80K or so. Needs tires, rotors, pads and serious detailing plus batteries when I can do really cheap myself. Has a small key mark on the passenger door though.

The car had a bit of Turbo lag that I did not expect. Plut your foot down and like 1/2-1 second later it bloody takes off.