Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Engine out, 40 hours of labour?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by blkclk550
I got the same quote from the dealer and spoke to my friend who works for them, he said that dropping engine is a lie and all dealers replace the lines with out engine drop. He's doing mine right now with out droping the engine about 5 hours of work and no where near 10k.
Are you certain that you are referencing the vacuum leak above the transmission? When I removed the driver's side pre-cat, I had a very careful look into the issue and could not see any way to access the junction without removing the engine. I even explored coming in from the top under the shifter assembly (i.e. cutting through the floor). Ultimately, we all concluded this would be even more work than removing the engine/transmission. If your guy has a way to do this without the engine coming out, all of us would VERY much like to know the procedure.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM
2010supersports is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PMS
Are you certain that you are referencing the vacuum leak above the transmission? When I removed the driver's side pre-cat, I had a very careful look into the issue and could not see any way to access the junction without removing the engine. I even explored coming in from the top under the shifter assembly (i.e. cutting through the floor). Ultimately, we all concluded this would be even more work than removing the engine/transmission. If your guy has a way to do this without the engine coming out, all of us would VERY much like to know the procedure.
He is replacing the vacuum lines that crack and do not allow the waste gates to open and throw the engine code. My car would lose power randomly. I went to Bentley and was quotes 10k for this job. Here is my car on a lift, he said all you need to do is take down the plastic above the tires to get in there. He said Bentley then charges for engine drop that never happens.

here is a picture of my car getting the lines changed i will have more soon.

Last edited by 2010supersports; 04-13-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe they changed the location of the hose from the older 2004 to 20?? design with the newer models?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:01 PM
2010supersports is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Maybe they changed the location of the hose from the older 2004 to 20?? design?
Mine is a 2009-2010 model the lines warp around the engine, it was melted not even cracked, i will ask him more info on years.

forgot to add dealer also told me i need new turbos 17k, tech said that's a lie all i need is that line.

Last edited by 2010supersports; 04-13-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:54 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2010supersports
forgot to add dealer also told me i need new turbos 17k, tech said that's a lie all i need is that line.
Holy !!!!! Am glad there are some great independent service guys near me. So tell us, who is the dealer that said this as we should all know to keep things in mind in the future.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
I understood from my Indy that as from the 2008 MY they changed the design and that you don't need to take the engine out to replace the line that goes above the transmission.

if he is right, and knowing him I believe he is, it is another proof that the original design was flawed.

having said that, Bentley Mc still insists in taking the engine out in case of a leak above the transmission....
who is right???

Old 04-14-2016, 03:24 PM
blkclk550 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
I understood from my Indy that as from the 2008 MY they changed the design and that you don't need to take the engine out to replace the line that goes above the transmission.

if he is right, and knowing him I believe he is, it is another proof that the original design was flawed.

having said that, Bentley Mc still insists in taking the engine out in case of a leak above the transmission....
who is right???
Spoke to my guy he said they are the same on all bentley continental I'm getting them replaced with out engine drop. Lines alone $1500 that's with discount from dealer. 10-12 hours worth of work?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM
New lines now come with heat shields around them. This means they recognize the issue of them melting from heat.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:38 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Will your guy provide insight into his procedure? I am very curious to see how he gets to the junction at the top of the transmission. Pictures would be of huge benefit.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Will your guy provide insight into his procedure? I am very curious to see how he gets to the junction at the top of the transmission. Pictures would be of huge benefit.
You have to take out the steering rack.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
You have to take out the steering rack.
No, taking out the steering rack doesn't allow you to replace the line above the transmission.
by taking out the steering rack you can replace one of the, various, vacuum line but by no means you can reach the connection above the transmission.

I don't remember the price of the lines but I don't think is even close to $1500, they are cheaper than that. you should check with Flying Spares.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
No, taking out the steering rack doesn't allow you to replace the line above the transmission.
by taking out the steering rack you can replace one of the, various, vacuum line but by no means you can reach the connection above the transmission.

I don't remember the price of the lines but I don't think is even close to $1500, they are cheaper than that. you should check with Flying Spares.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 PM

New lines are in

hehe

Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 AM
PMS
Thank you for the pics. When you originally discovered the vacuum leak (I am assuming a smoke test), where was the leak? Did you replace the vacuum line over the transmission?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Am not home to give exact part#, yet the vacuum leak above the tranny on the 07 GTC was a single hose that was $300 (probably a $75 hose they overcharge you for at 'Bentley pricing' of course).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine out, 40 hours of labour?