Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2005 continental-trunk opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 AM
tarnow1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 continental-trunk opening

When neither the key fob or the switch in the car open the trunk is the likely problem the trunk motor? (I can get in through the ski hole or left rear lens if I need to). Thanks guys,first question on this forum. I am on the Ferrari forum so if you have any QUESTIONS ABOUT A 456,i CAN HELP. ANDY.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
2 ways!

1. Use a toilet plunger. Suck it up to the rear brake light and yank it out. Then you have access to manually open trunk.

2. behind the right side not sure? passenger seat back cushion, there is a manual trunk release

Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM
tHANKS zAOS,I KNEW THE PLUNGER TRICK. bUT I WAS LOOKING FOR THE CAUSE. iS IT COMMON FOR THE TRUNK MOTOR TO fAIL?

Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Just a heads up,
The method of pulling out the tail light or going through the "Ski hole" to gain access to the emergency trunk release lever located on the trunk lid itself will NOT open the trunk lid if the trunk latch itself has failed, as the emergency lever is NOT a direct cable connected lever, it IS a electronic micro switch activated by the EM lever, whereas the lever located behind the right rear passenger seat IS a direct cable to the trunk latch mechanism with no electric power required, at least on the 2005-2007 models I have torn down and am in the process of rebuilding.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks, your a lifesaver

Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....is it possible that Bentley has finally addressed the crazy trunk lock out situation....
one of our forum members JimBT in South Africa bought a new 2016 Bentley GT-V8...
He posted a picture of the rear of his car. Very clearly there is something new on the rear trunk lid, right in the middle. I asked JimBT what this was, he said he did not know. I asked again and he replied he still did not know but it is now covered by the license plate.
I'll bet this is a new mechanical way to access trunk...at least I hope it is...I would post picture but do not know the procedure, just went to Apple and found out how to Screen Shot...JimB

Old 10-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Realdeal12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I have been using the form for references in reference to my 2005 Bentley Continental GT. I am also a lucky one who’s trunk will not open. I ordered a new emblem for the outside to see if that was the problem and that did not work. I also ordered a whole new latch and motor system and as well that did not work. All of the fuses have been replaced and still I cannot figure out why the trunk will not open. does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if it is a GTC thing or on a Hard Top Continental...If you pull down teh rear centre armrest on the right side if you are looking rear wards...there is a hole in the trim and you can put an 11mm deep socket in there and you turn clockwise(?) and it will open the trunk. I tried it and it worked for me.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the reply, I looked and my car doesn’t seem to have a hole to open the trunk. I did discover the cable that goes to the manual release behind the rear seat is broken. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with the pier trunk not opening.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM
All right, after a little more digging I found that the latch actually works, however, I am getting a short to ground fault. Also in the number 46 Central convenience my third brake light is not functioning as well. For the third brake light it is also a short to ground. Does anyone know where the grounds are for these? I did pull down the boot lid and found all of the modules. I also looked at all of the wires and everything appears to be intact.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:02 PM
Linescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud of
If it's truly a short to ground, that means the wire that is supplying the power is grounding or a switch or something else on the circuit is bad. I would first fix the brake light then look for pinched wires or bad connections. This assumes the electric truck release switch is also good.