Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

12V adapter not live in GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Wyo
Wyo is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my 2007 Bentley Continental GT and everywhere I have read, both online and the manual, say the 12 V adapter in the boot is always live. It seems like mine is the only one that isn’t so I cannot use a battery tender to charge both batteries at once. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. I have searched the threads and found nothing.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:00 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Wyo.

It could be a blown fuse. The fuse info is in the service book normally.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:39 AM
Wyo

Hello ExSF. I apologize for my omission. When the car is running or has power it has power like all the other lighters.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Ah! That has stumped me, sorry. There should be another socket with a special adapter for charging. It isn't like the Cigar lighter sockets. It's normally on the left half way up the carpet, ahead of the battery cover as you look into the boot.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Wyo
Nothing found in the boot unless there is something in the spare tire location. I looked in the area where the spare tire is and there are two connects and I am wondering what they are for or where to find out what they are for. Any ideas would be very helpful!

Last edited by Wyo; 01-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Registered PM
Time2Go is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings, I also spent time finding that the 12V socket on the left side of the trunk is controlled by the ignition. I enquired at the dealer, and they quoted $395 to install the Bentley retrofit connection so got to thinking of alternatives. In the end I removed the battery cover, pushed the 12V outlet out from behind (it's held into the board with spring tabs which are easily pushed in) thus exposing the wires. I clipped the wires, leaving about two inches on the socket, and insulated the remainder with tape as it will be live when the ignition's on. With this done, I crimped extra wires on the socket and ran them through the socket hole in the trunk wall to the battery terminals. The socket then fitted back where it came from and is now live all the time, and ready to take the cigar lighter connection from the CTEK device. Upon switching on, the CTEK worked fine, and indicated that the battery was a tad low. After a couple of hours the indicator showed a better result so I'm rather pleased with the investment of an hours tinkering and some spare wire. I hope this is a good fix, but if anyone sees something I've missed, please let me know.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds fine, just make sure you DO HAVE the fuse still on the CTEK female (battery side) wire. In other words, short adapter wires attached to battery/chassis/whereever, then that wire has a fuse, which then has on the opposite end of the battery connection end of the FEMALE CTEK connection.

Just the short wire bit
Car Battery
CTEK short wire
IMPORTANT fuse in wire adapter
This short wire assembly has female end connection.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Registered PM
Time2Go is an unknown quantity at this point
Many thanks Steven, sound advice indeed.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:39 AM
Wyo
Thank you Time2Go and Steven. I never really thought about wiring differently, thinking of keeping everything original. I did look into it and saw that you could tap into the fuze box and make it look very clean. Just shows how long it has been since I have done car wiring. I like the idea!! On another note if anyone needs some information on replacing the boot motor I found out mine was not set in the plate correctly. It was at an angle which wore off the first 3mm or so of the gear. With it set correctly it fits on the male gear like it should. I may not have need to buy a used motor.....

Old 03-01-2018, 03:32 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
So that I'm understanding this right, the lighter looking plug on the left in the trunk/boot is not wired so that a charger could just be plugged in and ready to go? I just bought the CTEK 7002 with the lighter adaptor. And I'm still going to have to modify some stuff?

Old 03-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Wyo
Too many customizations

Hey TeamJones,
Everywhere I have read says the plug is live all the time but mine wasn’t. I have never seen two Bentley’s configured the same. One reason I really love my Bentley.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Oh ok. After getting a few mins, I finally connected my tender and it's working as it should. With the cig adapter, I like how it flash red, yellow or green. I think I need new batteries because mines always flash red when I first hook it up. I was pricing some Odessey batteries from some online company. Really want to get the best for these cars.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Wyo
Using a fuse tap

I am thinking about using a fuse tap. Question I have is where/ how to use. Do you have to use it on the same voltage: tap into a 15A fuse and use a 15A fuse or tap into a 20A and be able to use 15A fuse?

Good to hear your plug is live TeamJ.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Just checked my 2009 GT and the trunk plug IS live. Are both batteries topped off with a battery tender plugged in?

Old 03-17-2018, 05:32 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wyo
I am thinking about using a fuse tap. Question I have is where/ how to use. Do you have to use it on the same voltage: tap into a 15A fuse and use a 15A fuse or tap into a 20A and be able to use 15A fuse?

Good to hear your plug is live TeamJ.
On the fuse taps I've used, you don't need to match amperages as the tap itself seats into the original slot, feeds 12v to the second fuse and pigtail yet keeps the pass through amps on the original fuse for that circuit. Just make sure you have the original amp fuse in the correct slot in the tap. Might be nice to try and find a matching amperage with ign on all the time, but not likely you'll get that lucky. Most circuits will be switched.

Last edited by BWings; 03-18-2018 at 06:52 AM.