Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12V sockets ignition dependent or not?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM
vigoureux is on a distinguished road
12V sockets ignition dependent or not?

Hello everyone, I was trying the 12V sockets in the car the other night and I found out that the cigarette lighter in the center console and the 12v socket in the arm rest do NOT turn off when the car is locked. I waited a good 15 mins and they were still powered.

Anybody know any 12v sockets in the car that would turn off when I lock the car?

P.S. the iPod charger (USB in the arm rest) turns off with ignition.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
This is identical in all Porsches and well just stupid. If I forget my car camera on, it drains the battery.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
(ZO) is on a distinguished road
Wait a little longer, it will turn itself off.
Try half an hour.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Originally Posted by vigoureux
Hello everyone, I was trying the 12V sockets in the car the other night and I found out that the cigarette lighter in the center console and the 12v socket in the arm rest do NOT turn off when the car is locked. I waited a good 15 mins and they were still powered.

Anybody know any 12v sockets in the car that would turn off when I lock the car?

P.S. the iPod charger (USB in the arm rest) turns off with ignition.
Nothing in my car turns off with ignition; stays on at least 15 minutes (or until the door opens). Cigarette lighter does not need the ignition activated, but is available for about a half hour without starting the car. iPod is always in the armrest, always charged, with no issues draining the battery for almost 3 years...

Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The matter that you have had no problem is just luck and has nothing to do with the fact that the car doesnt cut battery supply, even when the car is locked. Just plugged the car camera in the 12v socket in the glove box, as I havent tested that yet. Am pretty sure the result is the same. Its all good if you start the car in Miami, but try to start a drained battery in -30c.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM
kip
Ok, it seems the 12v socket in the center box shuts itself of after about 2hours if you lock the car. Dont understand why so long.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
vigoureux is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
Ok, it seems the 12v socket in the center box shuts itself of after about 2hours if you lock the car. Dont understand why so long.
kip, thanks for having the nervs to actually wait that long, lol

I would have quit after 30 minutes and never find out. Thank you very much for the info. I was planning to get a USB hub to the USB port and charge everything thru that since it shuts off with ignition. But I didn't wanna draw too much power and blow a fuse etc.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Mine lasts 10-15 minutes...

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
kip
Wierd, I just changed to a new camera today, and the time seems to be shorter. It has an auto idle off function, which shouldnt matter in this case. It was actually off after 15mins vs above comments with my old car camera. Cant explain this...

Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
I timed mine. The center console compartment power turns off exactly in 6mins. (2010 Pan S)