Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2007 Bentley Continental gt Vacuum line leak help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:15 AM
temi is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Bentley Continental gt Vacuum line leak help

I took my 2007 Bentley Continental gt that I just purchased about a month ago to a specialized Bentley Mechanic shop today in Houston TX and they said they performed something called a smoke test on it because I had complained about the humming and hissing sound that I suspected was from the vacuum line. Anyways they are now telling me it would cost me $13700 to do the job because it’s an Engine and transmission out job. And I just purchased the car less than a month ago. They also said that it’s the reason why the check Engine light is on and until it’s fixed the light would stay on. Any help or suggestions PLEASE?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:22 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
QIt was a common and almost inevitable problem a few years after launch .
its a plastic pipe that runs across the tranny the heat over a period of time makes it brittle and it cracks .
only access is as your Mechanic describes.
how ever the fix is a metal ( more suitable to heat cycles ) pipe .I,am of the understanding the factory started to fit the metal pipe from approx 2007 MY onwards - happy to stand corrected on this .
most early 2003/4/5 etc being over 10 years old have probably had the mod done .
Theres loads of stuff on the net about this issue on various Bentley Forums inc this one .

So I would perhaps using the VIN contact Bentley (dealer or factory) and find out if yours has already the metal pipes factory fitted .

It could be a leak from another joint easy to get to j,or just a knackered vac pump and the mech is trying it on .

Does anybody know the exact change over date for the Vac pipe mod ?

You could buy a code reader to check your self why the CEL is on .
There’s plenty of stuff on here about which is the best modal - sort of 2 nd opinion ?Just seen your other post - we need to know if there is a code for a Vac pressure failure ? / leak One for PMS I think

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 01-07-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: seen other post by temi
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by temi
I took my 2007 Bentley Continental gt that I just purchased about a month ago to a specialized Bentley Mechanic shop today in Houston TX and they said they performed something called a smoke test on it because I had complained about the humming and hissing sound that I suspected was from the vacuum line. Anyways they are now telling me it would cost me $13700 to do the job because it’s an Engine and transmission out job. And I just purchased the car less than a month ago. They also said that it’s the reason why the check Engine light is on and until it’s fixed the light would stay on. Any help or suggestions PLEASE?
lf your Indy did this smoke test:
and got the same results, it probably is the dreaded vacuum hose over transmission problem so many have encountered.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by temi
Hello Temi,
First off, your Bentley Mechanic is off his rocker by about $10,000.00, BUT on top of that as you have a 2007 GT you should have no vacuum lines on top of the transmission, therefore no need to pull the complete engine/trans package, see link below and check out my posts #'s 9, 10, and 11 to confirm you have the gray solenoids at the rear of the intake by removing the black plastic trim cover with the "B" logo, also Jason Giannetti on long Island does the job for $3.5k - $4K with fabricated metal lines, that is Jason's video that PMS posted in post #3.

This job can be done without removing the engine/trans package for some 2006 and all 2007 on, but instead by removing the steering rack as also shown in the link.

Also a note as others have stated (not just John F.) in the past that the factory went to metal lines, that is not correct, they just rerouted the plastic lines, and also to note is that if you took your B to the dealer today to have the lines replaced either over the trans or along the firewall along rack steering unit, they would still replace them with the original plastic lines, as in if you called the parts dept for and ordered said lines, you would get plastic....

Link https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...any-input.html

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:34 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Johnney - Thx for the “ correction “
Hats off to you - I,ve just read your rebuilding of the wetted 05 -

Old 01-08-2018, 11:12 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Price too high to fix, and the early 2007 GTC also suffered that 'false air' hose problem so it did extend into 2007 models

i'd guess $5k to fix max from independent. Generally, engine does need to come out. i think there's a different work-around via removing steering rack, yet frankly take it out and have all new hard metal pipes made to solve the problem once and for all. JMHO

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 01-09-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:54 AM
mikeydee is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Vacume line leak

Thank you for the information.
I am new to the Forum, I have a similar sound coming from the driver-side.
This was very helpful.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Normally, when the Vac line splits, the Vac pump works overtime and can burn out. At least the Vac pump is a fairly easy fix and is an Audi A8 part.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 AM
mikeydee is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the info, it's been very helpful, I'm looking for someone in North NJ to help with the work.
Cheers

Old 10-13-2019, 09:10 AM
cubbyno9 is an unknown quantity at this point
What year was the vacuum design change

Hi folks, I know its probably been covered but please forgive me.

I am in the market for a used Continental GT and been reading up on the vacuum leak issues involving engine and gearbox out fix.

Regards "
This job can be done without removing the engine/trans package for some 2006 and all 2007 on, but instead by removing the steering rack as also shown in the link".

Could someone possibly confirm when the design change was made and how I would confirm that I was buying a car with the change, thus if it did fail it would be steering rack out fix rather than engine& trans.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Thanks Rico. Great, My budget will prob be a 2008, possibly 2009 at a stretch.

Just waiting on my RRS lease to come to an end then pick one up, many thanks for reply.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Yes I will do.

Yip the RRS has been great but fancy something just that bit extra. It will used so need to make sure I get a good one, service history etc. Other than the vacuum issue, any other main concerns that I should look for?

Old 10-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
If you know anyone or have a Ross Tech scanner then scan the car if any codes pull up.that way you will know a lot about the car ...
Morning, there is an independent garage in Glasgow, Scotland that I have spoken to that offer a 'car inspection service' so will be using them when viewing cars. They seem a great garage and very welcoming, I suppose they are bound to be if I will be bringing my car to them lol but seem decent bunch.

Yes the lights was something that I had seen on some posts along with the suspension.

Tbh the main concern that I had was the vacuum pipe issue.

Will be looking for a black GT, possibly GTC, with black leather and dash. Seen this one but got another 6 weeks until lease is done.

Thanks for your advice

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-23-2023 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Dead link
Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by cubbyno9
Morning, there is an independent garage in Glasgow, Scotland that I have spoken to that offer a 'car inspection service' so will be using them when viewing cars. They seem a great garage and very welcoming, I suppose they are bound to be if I will be bringing my car to them lol but seem decent bunch.

Yes the lights was something that I had seen on some posts along with the suspension.

Tbh the main concern that I had was the vacuum pipe issue.

Will be looking for a black GT, possibly GTC, with black leather and dash. Seen this one but got another 6 weeks until lease is done;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-B...53.m1438.l2649

Thanks for your advice
Research hood issues if it’s aGTC .
My UK Indy is always fixing them , micro switch failures and the dreaded hood lining metal frame misalignment.
They are a £25 K replacement cost . + water leaks and other electrical gremlins triggered off un related to hood woes .
So a bigger ticking time bomb than a pre 08 engine out vac line job .

Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 AM
Hi John, thanks for post. yes I have literally just finished reading about horror stories with the roof. The GTC was my wife's choice but going to stick with the coupe. After all it is Scotland we live in and its rather wet!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Bentley Continental gt Vacuum line leak help