Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

08 Bentley GTC top Operation intermitten failure

Old 01-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Martin Perri is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Bentley GTC top Operation intermitten failure

posting deleted as problem was different

Last edited by Martin Perri; 07-03-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: problem resolved not the issue
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sold my 07, the top is a nightmare. Be happy the rear glass hasn't fallen out yet. Good luck and hope you find a reasonable solution.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
I’m trying to picture in my head where the top is in its cycle. From your description I imagine you hit the button the header unlatched the rear “c” flaps open , the back half of the top raises (where the rear glass is) and then it stops the tonneau cover never opens. If this is the case usually two issues cause this. 1. Frame position sensor is reading incorrectly so the module thinks the rear half is not up all the way so it doesn’t activate the tonneau cover. 2. Tonneau cover striker is out of adjustment or needs lubed causing it to stick in the latch. Do you have access to a scan tool? Couple things you could try. Have an assistant operate the top When it freezes push the back half up further to see if it continues through its cycle if not then pull up on the tonneau cover see if it pops open. Also battery voltage is very important for anything electronic in these cars. I would operate the top with the car running.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Hagop.oun is an unknown quantity at this point
Any solution on this issue?

Originally Posted by Martin Perri
Anyone have any current or updated information on the Bentley soft top operation? I know these are prone to mechanical problems but am wondering if anyone has the correct starting point to diagnose the issue? Top opens half way to the point where the back deck lid is to open, the rear flaps open to the point of when the rear deck lid is supposed to do its thing but will not open which occures intermittently What effect does battery voltage impact this if any? I keep it on trickle charge and I never attempt to operate the Roof with the car running anyway. Is this a sensor problem? Micro switch? Main console switch defective? I assume it’s not the switch since I can hear the motor trying to open the back lid. When this happens I just cycle back to closed position and either try again later or it often will work after running the car for awhile may work the next time.

BTW there are no exterior tears or signs of snags or anything showing a top sagging issue or bent mechanism. It appears to be intermittent and not all the time. I have also made sure the windows are set to their upper and lower limits by resetting those

Thanks for helping knowledge is power with a dealership for these cars!
hi martin
i have the same issue on a 2007 gtc but only upon closing the lid doesn’t open intermittent.
thx much

Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
If the top is completely stowed and the lid will not open to allow the top to come out. Most likely cause are linkage flap motors are starting to fail ( little flaps that open sideways) or the top module thinks the trunk lid is open. Those cars have an overload switch that sometimes needs adjusted. Do you have a roof fault displaying in your cluster? Or does your boot lid show open in the cluster when it is latched?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Swflbt23
If the top is completely stowed and the lid will not open to allow the top to come out. Most likely cause are linkage flap motors are starting to fail ( little flaps that open sideways) or the top module thinks the trunk lid is open. Those cars have an overload switch that sometimes needs adjusted. Do you have a roof fault displaying in your cluster? Or does your boot lid show open in the cluster when it is latched?
upon closing the roof the lid in the back lift half an inch but won’t pop open. After multiple tries it finally does.
When i come to open it I never get an issue with lid it pops open normally only open closing it has hard time raising.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 09-08-2021 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Fix QUOTE
Old 04-16-2020, 08:50 AM
dmadyjr is on a distinguished road
I have a 2007 GTC and when closing the top it stops just as the rear lid starts to raise. I now found that after the rear lid raises almost an inch and stops, it will ALWAYS finish the cycle and work if I either lower the rear left window all the way or shake that window with a downward pressure. Does anyone know what may bee wrong? I don't want to go spend a fortune at the dealer for a new Window regulator and/or motor.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:02 PM
the frame position sensor is most likely not reaching the preset mark allowing the tonneau cover to raise. if the cover lifts only an inch it is unlatching but not being hydraulically lifted. there are a combination of things that cause this. such as headliner catching the sensor and pulling on it, small straps inside the top have broke, and a few others. usually if its the headliner when it stalls if the customer releases the button allows the rear bow to start to fall the headliner will slip off. then reapplying the button allows the top to operate without issue. if you are in the states direct message me i can probably talk you though most of it over the phone.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:01 PM
the frame position sensor is most likely not reaching the preset mark allowing the tonneau cover to raise. if the cover lifts only an inch it is unlatching but not being hydraulically lifted. there are a combination of things that cause this. such as headliner catching the sensor and pulling on it, small straps inside the top have broke, and a few others. usually if its the headliner when it stalls if the customer releases the button allows the rear bow to start to fall the headliner will slip off. then reapplying the button allows the top to operate without issue. if you are in the states direct message me i can probably talk you though most of it over the phone.
Tha is for the response. This was doing it then I had the entire top replaced because it got torn. The dealer replaced the frame, sensors, motor, everything and it is behaving the exact same as before so I know it isn’t the frame position sensor, headliner is not catching, if I put the left rear window down all the way or shake it while holding the top button, it I,,existent starts to finish the cycle normally every time. It’s something directly related to the window. How do I direct message you?

Old 04-16-2020, 06:09 PM
AJ1
AJ1 will become famous soon enough
How long ago did the dealer work on it, he must guarantee his work, at least ask him for advice at this stage .

Old 04-16-2020, 06:11 PM
The dealer worked on it over a year ago but this condition was the same before and after the new top and the dealer’s so,union was to cha he the window regulator at a cost of $3000. There has to be a tab or micro switch on the window bottom or in the wi Dow motor at the rear driver’s side.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:16 PM
AJ1
dmadyjr, if folks are trying to assist you, please go over your post and read it back to yourself before hitting the reply button.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Sorry for that. I will re-post the last reply here:

The dealer worked on it over a year ago but this condition was the same before and after the new top and the dealer’s solution was to change the rear left window regulator at a cost of $3000. There has to be a tab or micro switch on the window bottom or in the window motor at the rear driver’s side but I am not sure where to look or exactly what to look for.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:36 PM
AJ1
Was the dealer absolutely guaranteeing that was the solution, or was he just guessing on that diagnosis? If the former, could you not source the part and fit yourself (saving on dealer prices). Alternatively, Im sure someone on here can advise further. Good luck

Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Thx bud

ill take your offer to help me over phone bud.
i have same issue.
please let me know 5142170947 jack

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 Bentley GTC top Operation intermitten failure