Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Key Fobs rendered useless and now using vw key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Key Fobs rendered useless and now using vw key?

Sent car to get some work done and got my car back with both my fobs completely useless and some knock off VW look like key that turns my ignition. I can only start my car with that key.
How can I program my keys back to my car?
Lots to say about the shop I know but that isn't making my keys better.

Thank you

D

Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
In my experience, you can only re-programme your keys with a Bentley Dealer. They will require both keys and it generally costs about $150.00 (Cdn.) I have the VAS 5054A computer and I can programme ALMOST everything. I can't do keys, because I have to have a Bentley dealer code and access to the Crewe system.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear your dilemma.

What year is your CGT?

They inevitably took your FlipKey and moved it over to an alternate key unit. On later key fobs you could take the RFDI chip and move it to a donor key fob (up to 2005 the RFDI chip and mini board were integrated). However, the integrated key mini board unit which they passed to you to control your doors locks etc. is not compatible with your vehicle. There are two aspects to the key fob. The RFDI immobilizer chip and the circuit board. The chip controls the ignition the circuit board controls your doors. This explains why your car will start but the doors will not function with your remote. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me knows how to synchronize a non original remote to your car.

2005 and earlier the key could be programmed if you have the right equipment and know your secret key code. Starting in 2006 and onward the factory implemented rolling secret key codes only accessible through factory protocol ie. dealer.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Jeninesque is an unknown quantity at this point
Key Fob

Originally Posted by PMS
In my experience, you can only re-programme your keys with a Bentley Dealer. They will require both keys and it generally costs about $150.00 (Cdn.) I have the VAS 5054A computer and I can programme ALMOST everything. I can't do keys, because I have to have a Bentley dealer code and access to the Crewe system.
I would be interested in purchasing if you could assist

Old 07-27-2022, 01:42 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I purchased my VAS 5054A complete diagnostic computer and software from the UK. Dealer-level Diagnostics and Programming for Bentley, Bugatti, Lamboghini vehicles (ruggedcomputing.co.uk).

Old 08-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Mr8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know an independent shop in NY that can program blank bentley keys you can buy online. They programmed me a fulling working spare for a few hundred.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:01 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Did they need the car, or just your other key?

Old 08-03-2022, 08:29 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mr8888
I know an independent shop in NY that can program blank bentley keys you can buy online. They programmed me a fulling working spare for a few hundred.

Hello Mr.8888,

Interesting.... could you please reference the eBay key that they adapted to your B. I've seen some "cloned virgin chipped" keys on ebay.

TIA

Eric

Old 08-04-2022, 11:49 AM
Mr8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
They did it with my car and blank key. This is the one I got. My main key was all beat up so i just swapped the blade to the new key instead of getting a new one cut. Has been working great, past year or so.

The seller doesnt sell them anymore but I assume the others forsale on ebay might be the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18415573244...mis&media=COPY

Old 09-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Golf Addict is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mr8888
Do they have experience working on vacuum line issue

Old 09-13-2022, 10:59 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been told that the car needs to be there for the programming of a new key. In fact, all of the existing key-FOBs need to be there as well, because they reprogram all of them together. Does anyone know if this is true?

What are the odds of some fault happening during this process and all of the keys becoming useless? If so, what happens then?

I am right now referring to a key-cutting place not related to a Bentley dealership. Well-respected in the region nonetheless, but I am still a bit hesitant as I only have one working FOB for my GT at this time. And they are not used to working on Bentleys.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:31 AM
CarFreaks is on a distinguished road
I have a key guy that has been able to program every car I have ever had at my dealership except my Bentley I'm going to do exactly what you did. Good call!

Old 09-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @xclens ,
My thoughts in red .

Originally Posted by xclens
I have been told that the car needs to be there for the programming of a new key. In fact, all of the existing key-FOBs need to be there as well, because they reprogram all of them together. Does anyone know if this is true?
Yes, it is true, all keyfobs need to be present during the programming of the fobs / KESSY module, as if any previously programed fob is not present, it is removed from the authorized list in the KESSY, this is for the purpose of if one has lost their keyfob/s, or had one stolen, and you get a replacement/s, the lost or stolen keyfob is now useless to enter the vehicle and start the engine after programming, now the key-blade of course will still unlock the door, but the fob will not kill the alarm.
If the lost keyfob is ever found, it can be added back into the list of authorized fobs in the KESSY, as it is an original, or a prior replacement, and it's information is always stored in the KESSY module as a previously authorized fob.

What are the odds of some fault happening during this process and all of the keys becoming useless? If so, what happens then?
I programmed my new keyfobs that I ordered through Bentley by VIN, I used my Ross-Tech VCDS to program, BUT, I had my secret key code from reading the 93C86 eeprom in the KESSY with carprog, SKC is needed, I had no issues with programming, not sure what could happen to make all fobs useless, just need to do the procedure properly, and have all fobs present on the passenger side, and do one fob at a time in the ignition, and do all work in the allotted time as per Ross-Tech.

right now referring to a key-cutting place not related to a Bentley dealership. Well-respected in the region nonetheless, but I am still a bit hesitant as I only have one working FOB for my GT at this time. And they are not used to working on Bentleys.
I would seriously ask them to detail exactly which tools they are using to perform the job.

Johnny

Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, King Johnny!

So is the copying of a keyfob for a Bentley different from for example an Audi or a VW? Does the key-cutting place need a unique software for just Bentley? They told me they had never worked on a Bentley before, but I also heard them typing on a keyboard as we spoke and they then told me that they thought they could do it.

(It's not a matter of cost to me, it's that my closest official Bentley dealership is 2+ hours away from where I live.)

Old 09-14-2022, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xclens
Thank you, King Johnny!

So is the copying of a keyfob for a Bentley different from for example an Audi or a VW? Does the key-cutting place need a unique software for just Bentley? They told me they had never worked on a Bentley before, but I also heard them typing on a keyboard as we spoke and they then told me that they thought they could do it.

(It's not a matter of cost to me, it's that my closest official Bentley dealership is 2+ hours away from where I live.)
​​​​​​Hello @xclens ,
Just so we can all be clear on one issue, as your comment of "copying a keyfob" is confusing, there is no copying, or cloning of the Bentley fob for full functionality, so that leads me to ask, did you order new keyfobs through Bentley, if so, then the blades will already be cut by Bentley as to the VIN number you supplied at time of ordering, then the vehicle as we discussed needs to be at the Bentley dealership with all fobs available for programming.

Now, of course if you or the locksmith has the correct equipment to perform the process, then all should be fine, BUT and it is a big but, as I stated before, the SKC is needed, so how is the locksmith going to retrieve this code, as the KESSY with the 93C86 eeprom is under the carpet, or the ecu's under the hood that would need the 95040 or 95160 depending on year would need to be read, either way this requires either KESSY or ecu to be disassembled to read the chip with a certain tool, I used carprog for the KESSY 93C86, and iirc Ponyprog to read the bin file of the 95160 or 95040 of the engine ecu, then with the bin file I followed a conversion of line code to decipher the skc, BUT, there have been some whom say that the skc can be read through the obd port, but Ross-Tech does not give the skc, and the other tools I tried through obd did not work either, such as Super-Vag 4.8, or Vag Commander, or Vag tacho, etc, that doesn't mean that someone else can't do it, I just haven't needed to try any other tools as I retrieved my SKC the way I did back then, your locksmith may have the newer proper equipment, so as I stated before, I would ask them to explain how they would get the code, or if infact the code is even required as with their method of programming, do they have a dealership level access to the Mothership like Bentley, Audi, VW, and all the other VAG brands, if so, no code is needed, it would be just a if you were at the Bentley dealership.

Also, just to touch on what @1eapplebaum stated, I programmed a pair of new 2007 style fobs to the 2006 KESSY module with the SKC and Ross-Tech, so not sure on the rolling code implementation time frame.

And lastly, depending on the response from your locksmith, it may be worth the drive and turn around time for piece of mind, make a day of it, find a nice restaurant while you wait.. 😉

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 09-14-2022 at 10:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fobs rendered useless and now using vw key?