Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2007 Running Rich - low lumpy idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 AM
neiloakley is on a distinguished road
2007 Running Rich - low lumpy idle

i’ve noticed the car doesn’t seem to be running right since the service last month.

At first, it seemed the idle was a little slow and sometimes it was around 450-500rpm. It didn’t make much difference if in N, D or Park. It drove absolutely fine so didn’t think much of it. Then after about 800 miles whilst in Portugal the amber engine light came on but the car continued to drive fine. Got it checked out and the fault code was P0172 (System Too Rich - Bank 1).

The fault light was cleared, and has not come back on since (another 800 miles) but i have noticed a few isolated mis-fires both while driving at low revs (say cruising at 40mph) and also when i started the car at idle there were several misfire and a bit of a lumpy idle again.

I thought initially that it may be cheap fuel from Spanish and Portuguese petrol stations out in the sticks, but even now back on a tank of UK 98 fuel its still not behaving right.

The engine light came back on again yesterday, but not yet checked the codes again but I suspect it’s fuel trim to rich again.

Any ideas? They did a vacuum test as part of the service which didn’t show anything untoward.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:00 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
There are several possibilities for a P0172. Probably the most common is one or more stuck/dirty fuel injectors on bank 1. If you have or can get Chevron Techron on your side, try a little heavier concentration in the next fuel fillup. A couple of Techron treatments might clean up injectors. And, yes, bad fuel somewhere could contribute. Don't go crazy with an overdose though. maybe a full tank bottle on 3/4 tank of fuel a couple of times.

There are other reasons for P0172
An air leak past the MAF on Bank 1.
Bad fuel pressure regulator
Even something as simple as a poor seal at the oil dipstick. On a personal note, I've replaced the O-ring on the dipstick and I have added a larger O-Ring to fit right under the shoulder below the handle. Finally, I use a simple tie wrap to keep the dipstick solidly seated on the added O-Ring. Overkill without a doubt, but makes me feel better.

All the Best, and luck solving it.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. Wouldn’t an air leak post MAF cause the sustem to run lean? As the engine will be fueled for the amount of air going through the MAF, but in fact there is more air going through (given that post MAF, pre turbo is still under vacuum)?

I assume the measurement for this code code is by the ore-cat O2 sensor when operating in closed loop?

In in any case, i’ll Try some injector cleaner on the next few tanks.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by neiloakley
Thanks for the advice. Wouldn’t an air leak post MAF cause the sustem to run lean? As the engine will be fueled for the amount of air going through the MAF, but in fact there is more air going through (given that post MAF, pre turbo is still under vacuum)?

I assume the measurement for this code code is by the ore-cat O2 sensor when operating in closed loop?

In in any case, i’ll Try some injector cleaner on the next few tanks.

If the MAF measures a certain volume of air that the ECU is using to properly fuel, but air is lost from a leak past the maf, that would cause an overfueling. This is especially true with turbo or SC setups as, at a certain point, vacuum crosses over to past one atmosphere and pressure exists, not vacuum. You're assuming that an air leak past the MAF is creating a low pressure situation and drawing in air, but can also be the other way.

In closed loop the ECU uses MAF Frequencies (in Hz), to fuel from a table, then an adder (or a subtract) based on the pre-cat O2 FB from the previous combustion cycle. Normal O2 cycles are equal continuous lean/rich. LTFTs continue to adjust over time to compensate for small normal changes to maintain a Stoich AFR, changes such as air filters getting dirty over time, etc. But, in the case of an air leak or vacuum leak (such as a P0171/74) certain normal changes are exceeded (LTFT adjustments made too fast and large), P017Xs will be set. Lean is the worse condition and can be damaging to the engine so most engine management programs I've seen are limited to a 25% lean correction before a P0171/74 are set. On the rich side the 25% rule doesn't apply.

Sorry for getting too wordy.

Last edited by BWings; 10-30-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:17 AM
Sorry, what I meant was that a leak between MAF and turbo would always result in running lean, as that part of the system is always under vacuum. So if it is an air leak, it must be between turbo and cylinder as that is the only part that experience positive pressure.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 AM
Sorry, what I meant was that a leak between MAF and turbo would always result in running lean, as that part of the system is always under vacuum. So if it is an air leak, it must be between turbo and cylinder as that is the only part that experience positive pressure.

I don't particularly care for the MAF placement on the W12. I've built some FI engines on US V8 cars and I've always located the MAF right before the TB and after all piping to and from the boost and air inlet. That way, even with a leak somewhere in the inlet, I have more accurate air intake. The only issue is turbulence around the MAF in case of a leak, or where it is placed in proximity to bends.

This is a good discussion, but I think a reasonable approach for you to take is simplest first. I also think you're on the right track to try the injector cleaner. If after a couple of tries, clearing the code, seeing if it resets, then move onto more complex possibles. At least running rich, you're not in danger of engine damage. However, if you're dumping large amounts of fuel into the exhaust, the Cats won't like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BWings
I also think you're on the right track to try the injector cleaner. If after a couple of tries, clearing the code, seeing if it resets, then move onto more complex possibles
3 bottles of Chevron ordered

Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 AM
This:

Old 10-30-2018, 11:52 AM
This:

That's it. Just don't overdo it. OK to go stronger, but probably want to stay away from double dose.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:10 AM
So I put the first bottle in, and at the same time cleared codes. This time, using VAGCOM i got a bit more detail than I did with the generic reader.

I also used measuring block 32 to see current fuel trim. The first value is the additive value, so what's happening at idle. -ve means its running rich and the system is trying to lean it out. RossTech Wiki says this indicates a vacuum leak, but then a video by RossTech on Youtube says that a vacuum leak (dipstick not seated) causes a lean condition. So i'm confused.

Wiki: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info
Video (skip to 2:10):

Address 01: Engine (07C 906 018 DD)

09:10:41 Group 032
-3.6 % Lambda
0.0 % Lambda

The fault codes point to potential MAF problem, as it was the dodgy MAF signal that turned on the MIL light this time.

008584 - Bank 1; System too Rich at Idle
P2188 - 002 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 56292 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 536 /min
Load: 24.3 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 93.0°C
Temperature: 53.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 12.573 V

000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0101 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 8
Mileage: 56301 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1420 /min
Load: 44.3 %
Speed: 75.0 km/h
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 21.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.208 V

Last edited by neiloakley; 11-03-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 PM
adnanm3 can only hope to improve
Hi, any luck diagnosing this? I have the same issue with my 991 and the same code coming up