Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Newbie Battery Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
To add - the pyro isolator is not a module on the canbus, instead it is a component in the air bag module which is a canbus module. In the case of an accident, it is the airbag sensors that signal both airbag deployment as well as the isolator. Again, bypassing the isolator, there could be a missing start signal that needed to be sent to kessey

Last edited by BWings; 04-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Great information Mr. BWwings !

What a frustrating situation. One thought is check the driver's side right hand side electrical terminal under the right hand side airbox. Not sure if this will help but if it has 12 volts wouldn't that indicate that the pyrotechnic disconnect is still operational ? Not sure if the key has to be turned while checking or if this terminal is full time live.

My 2cents.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Great information Mr. BWwings !

What a frustrating situation. One thought is check the driver's side right hand side electrical terminal under the right hand side airbox. Not sure if this will help but if it has 12 volts wouldn't that indicate that the pyrotechnic disconnect is still operational ? Not sure if the key has to be turned while checking or if this terminal is full time live.

My 2cents.
Good thought on it Eric. I think the terminal in the engine compartment is main battery only. This is is good terminal to use to supply 12v if you have a completely flat main battery and cannot open the trunk. Supplying 12v here would allow the accessories of the entire car to be powered up, but to my knowledge, the RS starter battery would be isolated from that engine compartment terminal.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM
DAV3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Sorry guys and girls, but this is probably going to be a bit underwhelming!

Got home after work, checked the fuses, found 1x 20A (Rear-hand rear right auxiliary connector) what ever that is? Car didn't start still, so did the VCDS scan but got "function not supported by gateway" - not sure what that means but won't do an Auto scan.

So I went into each module that BWings mentioned earlier and did a copy of the DTC's manually module by module.

Thought i'd risk it for a chocolate biscuit and clear down each of the modules manually and clear engine DTC's via the OBD2 function.

Disconnected my laptop / dongle and put the key in, and turned and hey presto, it started haha - Properly happy was literally dancing in the car haha

So unfortunately no great mystery, just needed a clear down due to the fault codes generated by changing the batteries / battery drain.

Now just need to follow the full procedure as posted by BWings for windows, steering, etc...

Thanks all for your help though, it got me to a working car today and so very much appreciated!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by DAV3
Sorry guys and girls, but this is probably going to be a bit underwhelming!

Got home after work, checked the fuses, found 1x 20A (Rear-hand rear right auxiliary connector) what ever that is? Car didn't start still, so did the VCDS scan but got "function not supported by gateway" - not sure what that means but won't do an Auto scan.

So I went into each module that BWings mentioned earlier and did a copy of the DTC's manually module by module.

Thought i'd risk it for a chocolate biscuit and clear down each of the modules manually and clear engine DTC's via the OBD2 function.

Disconnected my laptop / dongle and put the key in, and turned and hey presto, it started haha - Properly happy was literally dancing in the car haha

So unfortunately no great mystery, just needed a clear down due to the fault codes generated by changing the batteries / battery drain.

Now just need to follow the full procedure as posted by BWings for windows, steering, etc...

Thanks all for your help though, it got me to a working car today and so very much appreciated!
Well done! Glad you're running again...feels good, yeah?

Best,
Steve

Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Great ending to an interesting story. I'm glad you didn't blow up your positive cable with a pyrotechnic charge.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 AM
DAV3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm glad too, i'll follow the correct procedure from now on anyway, just in case.

But feels great, I had the car off the road during winter and so am itching to get it back on the road again . . . withdrawal symptoms.

'appy as Larry - as the British say