Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

More drain maintenance ( part 2)

 
  #1  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:26 AM
John Fiammetta's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 5
John Fiammetta will become famous soon enough
More drain maintenance ( part 2)

Following on from maintaining the loom killer scuttle drain there a few more to attend to .

Fuel filler - Bentley could not make a smaller more block able one .
I have seen mine blocked a few times with just dust , forms a kinda mud .Thankfully the surrounding rubber can be plunged with your finger tip .
Accidental water ingress into the filler neck while refuelling is not funny .

Rear spoiler
discreetly packs away and blends into the rear glass base .Its actually attached to the front edge of the boot / trunk lid .
Two drains are located just behind the hinge mechanism.They run via tubing through the lid and exit water at the lower edge .This water just then runs down the bumper from water under the lid .
If blocked or the internal pipage comes apart the trunk can fill up as well as soak the contents of the boot / trunk liner .
The liner has the spoiler control and motor wires in , to be at best corroded ,worst destroyed, the bottom of the trunk has many water sensitive components like your air suspension air pump waiting to be destroyed.
Theres obviously your batteries a bit higher in the lateral compartment s + crucially many ECU ,s not particularly partial to damp seeping up from the lake in the spare wheel well you are carrying around .

Air Con evap pan .
Humidity drips onto this pan situated unde the cabin side of the HVAC unit .The water should drain out into the trans tunnel via two rubber elbows .
If these block or the orifices ( one each side ) the water level can rise and spill over the pan wetting the carpet and water runs as well as air through the ducting to the rear passenger compartment.
Damp carpets no real biggie apart from misting up and foolish odours .
The biggie is wetting any sensitive stuff in the centre console = corrosion.
But and it’s a big BUT in the passenger foot well there’s another fuse box , actually a relay box with a poorly fitting lid .
In there lives the Keyless Entry Exit Starting System , ( KESSY ) relays - Get that baby wet is serious hassle .
Apart from the obvious starting hassle , if the starter motor won’t shut off it and burns out this necessitates the engine out to replace .

Its an easy job to pull the elbow vertically and rod out the drain hole .





Two arguably THE most important tools for a GT Continental Strimmer cord and a pipe cleaner .



The worlds smallest fuel drain hole , right in the bottom corner .Use the cord or compressed air to clear .



1970,s Ferrari with a nice size fuel filler drain highlighted in blue .Never clogged




Two exits , one each side under the boot / trunk lid edge . Water should run out and flow over the bumper .




The drains are at the rear of the hinge mechanism.Raise it to access.




Spoiler drains from the top .




Your aircon evaporate drain pan runs out through two rubber elbows into the trans tunnel .




Pull back the carpet to expose them .




Pull off the vertical part off and insert the pipe cleaner to rod out . The AC condensate fills a pan under the HVAC unit .




Full none draining AC pan eventually end up with water sloshing sound and spitting out of theses rear sea vents .



Sensitive switches and pcb,s to corrode from spillages if the AC drain pan can’t drain ,
 

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 04-27-2019 at 10:32 AM.
  #2  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Rico.Adams's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: England
Age: 54
Posts: 475
Rep Power: 21
Rico.Adams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta View Post
Following on from maintaining the loom killer scuttle drain there a few more to attend to .

Fuel filler - Bentley could not make a smaller more block able one .
I have seen mine blocked a few times with just dust , forms a kinda mud .Thankfully the surrounding rubber can be plunged with your finger tip .
Accidental water ingress into the filler neck while refuelling is not funny .

Rear spoiler
discreetly packs away and blends into the rear glass base .Its actually attached to the front edge of the boot / trunk lid .
Two drains are located just behind the hinge mechanism.They run via tubing through the lid and exit water at the lower edge .This water just then runs down the bumper from water under the lid .
If blocked or the internal pipage comes apart the trunk can fill up as well as soak the contents of the boot / trunk liner .
The liner has the spoiler control and motor wires in , to be at best corroded ,worst destroyed, the bottom of the trunk has many water sensitive components like your air suspension air pump waiting to be destroyed.
Theres obviously your batteries a bit higher in the lateral compartment s + crucially many ECU ,s not particularly partial to damp seeping up from the lake in the spare wheel well you are carrying around .

Air Con evap pan .
Humidity drips onto this pan situated unde the cabin side of the HVAC unit .The water should drain out into the trans tunnel via two rubber elbows .
If these block or the orifices ( one each side ) the water level can rise and spill over the pan wetting the carpet and water runs as well as air through the ducting to the rear passenger compartment.
Damp carpets no real biggie apart from misting up and foolish odours .
The biggie is wetting any sensitive stuff in the centre console = corrosion.
But and itís a big BUT in the passenger foot well thereís another fuse box , actually a relay box with a poorly fitting lid .
In there lives the Keyless Entry Exit Starting System , ( KESSY ) relays - Get that baby wet is serious hassle .
Apart from the obvious starting hassle , if the starter motor wonít shut off it and burns out this necessitates the engine out to replace .

Its an easy job to pull the elbow vertically and rod out the drain hole .





Two arguably THE most important tools for a GT Continental Strimmer cord and a pipe cleaner .



The worlds smallest fuel drain hole , right in the bottom corner .Use the cord or compressed air to clear .



1970,s Ferrari with a nice size fuel filler drain highlighted in blue .Never clogged




Two exits , one each side under the boot / trunk lid edge . Water should run out and flow over the bumper .




The drains are at the rear of the hinge mechanism.Raise it to access.




Spoiler drains from the top .




Your aircon evaporate drain pan runs out through two rubber elbows into the trans tunnel .




Pull back the carpet to expose them .




Pull off the vertical part off and insert the pipe cleaner to rod out . The AC condensate fills a pan under the HVAC unit .




Full none draining AC pan eventually end up with water sloshing sound and spitting out of theses rear sea vents .



Sensitive switches and pcb,s to corrode from spillages if the AC drain pan canít drain ,
That looks like a lot of work, I use a compressor with a long alloy tube I made up, just did all mine the other day now we coming into summer even though its +8 raining cold thunder & lightening ...
 
  #3  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MI
Age: 49
Posts: 110
Rep Power: 0
British is an unknown quantity at this point
Where did you get the plastic piece that's stiff enough to do the spoiler drain?

Miine must be blocked, my installer told me there was a couple of inches of water in the spare wheel well that they drained out. Is that from the spoiler?
 
  #4  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 AM
BWings's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 332
Rep Power: 16
BWings will become famous soon enoughBWings will become famous soon enough
Good writeup again John.

On the aircon tubes, were the elbows clogged? Both directions? Or did you just need to rod on the vertical as the tube enters the trans tunnel?

I've already done the others early (and still do often), but this one is on my "new" list.

Thanks

Steve
 
  #5  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:00 PM
John Fiammetta's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 5
John Fiammetta will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by British View Post
Where did you get the plastic piece that's stiff enough to do the spoiler drain?

Miine must be blocked, my installer told me there was a couple of inches of water in the spare wheel well that they drained out. Is that from the spoiler?
The plastic is just strimmer cord or bush wacker line .
The trim from the inside of the trunk lid is removed easily .A few screws and then pull the clips .
Sometimes the pipes / tubes can disconnect as well so well worth a look to eliminate.
 
  #6  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM
John Fiammetta's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 5
John Fiammetta will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BWings View Post
Good writeup again John.

On the aircon tubes, were the elbows clogged? Both directions? Or did you just need to rod on the vertical as the tube enters the trans tunnel?

I've already done the others early (and still do often), but this one is on my "new" list.

Thanks

Steve
You just shove a pipe cleaner vertical to clear any blockage after pulling the elbow down .
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
03EvoIII
996 Turbo / GT2
2
03-17-2015 10:41 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More drain maintenance ( part 2)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.