Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

bentley continental gt starting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 12:49 PM
crusher is an unknown quantity at this point
bentley continental gt starting problems

hi all, the gt has been going pretty good for the last few months with out a hitch, but, lol shes giving me a headache now.

came back from a 80 mile run yesterday and she went like a dream, stopped for coffee near home and she played dead when i tried to start her.

slight click and that was it , turned the key to left and right again to try emergency start vand she fired up and threw up a running gear fault , which went out
and drove her home.
checked both batteries 13 v plus , trickle charged over night to be on safe side and same this morning only starts on joining both batteries.
i have power coming from small battery up thick cables to joint relay, and earth is fine too, when i turn the key as normal i can feel the starter relay click but no turnover.
main battery is fine and runs all the inhouse stuff no problems, so a bit baffled as it will always start on emergency start mode but not normally and button will not start her either, any suggestions, cannot get vcds on her as i left the laptop at work and will not be back up ther until tues/weds, so trying to nail it before i go back to work.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by crusher
hi all, the gt has been going pretty good for the last few months with out a hitch, but, lol shes giving me a headache now.

came back from a 80 mile run yesterday and she went like a dream, stopped for coffee near home and she played dead when i tried to start her.

slight click and that was it , turned the key to left and right again to try emergency start vand she fired up and threw up a running gear fault , which went out
and drove her home.
checked both batteries 13 v plus , trickle charged over night to be on safe side and same this morning only starts on joining both batteries.
i have power coming from small battery up thick cables to joint relay, and earth is fine too, when i turn the key as normal i can feel the starter relay click but no turnover.
main battery is fine and runs all the inhouse stuff no problems, so a bit baffled as it will always start on emergency start mode but not normally and button will not start her either, any suggestions, cannot get vcds on her as i left the laptop at work and will not be back up ther until tues/weds, so trying to nail it before i go back to work.
Hello Crusher ... Have you checked the battery terminals to see if they all tight ...

Old 06-02-2019, 05:02 PM
hi rico, i have checked all battery connections and they are fine , its like the right hand battery or shall we call it the starter battery is just not connecting when we try to start it, but when it links up to the other battery on emergency start it fires right up.
i can feel the battery relay that joins up the two batteries operate fine when i use the emergency start proceedure so to me it seems to be power loss on the starter battery somewhere , could do with a circuit diagram for the gt so i can try and trace the power along and see whats happening,

Old 06-02-2019, 05:08 PM
hi rico, i have checked all battery connections and they are fine , its like the right hand battery or shall we call it the starter battery is just not connecting when we try to start it, but when it links up to the other battery on emergency start it fires right up.
i can feel the battery relay that joins up the two batteries operate fine when i use the emergency start proceedure so to me it seems to be power loss on the starter battery somewhere , could do with a circuit diagram for the gt so i can try and trace the power along and see whats happening,
Yes sure I'll sort it, Its strange that its shows full power but no start, but when you crank it off the other battery its starts fine, which it should ... I had the same problem and even went a bought a new starter battery only to go into the boot to fit it and the + terminal clap came off in my hand, I loosened it gave it a tap and tightened it up, the car fired up no problem ...

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of

and drove her home.
At least the car starts. Good idea as suggested to check your terminals. Sometimes batteries will show 12 volts and charge as normal but not produce amperage sufficient to start the car. Next time after attempting to start the car with only a click go and check the battery and see if it's discharged with a voltage tester. The other option is have someone do a load test on the battery which is simple. Usually the vendors selling batteries will do load test for free.

Please be careful while working on this particular battery. There are posts already on the subject. On the starter battery one can deploy an electronic pyro discharge by mishandling the battery terminals. Should this discharge occur major electronic problems will ensue.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 AM
,well i have just fitted a new starter battery , i took the old battery in and did a load test, even though it showed over 13 v on my meter as soon a s a load went on it dropped to 9.3 v..so applebaum you hit it on the head, could of told me yesterday and saved me lots of distress .
i collected my vcds this morning and tested it all, the battery threw up faults all over inc parallel battery relay , implausable signal, terminal 30 starter battery and of course running trail light on dash...
seems to have sorted it for now fingers crossed, i couldnt get vw or bosch so got a yuasa silver 5 year guarantee for 98 quid which seems all good so will keep posted watch this space and thanks to all for assisting you have been great

Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
,well i have just fitted a new starter battery , i took the old battery in and did a load test, even though it showed over 13 v on my meter as soon a s a load went on it dropped to 9.3 v..so applebaum you hit it on the head, could of told me yesterday and saved me lots of distress .
i collected my vcds this morning and tested it all, the battery threw up faults all over inc parallel battery relay , implausable signal, terminal 30 starter battery and of course running trail light on dash...
seems to have sorted it for now fingers crossed, i couldnt get vw or bosch so got a yuasa silver 5 year guarantee for 98 quid which seems all good so will keep posted watch this space and thanks to all for assisting you have been great
Glad you got it sorted ...

Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 AM
joc44 will become famous soon enoughjoc44 will become famous soon enough
Crusher, Keep your receipt you may well need it, I got the yuasa silver (Halfords £132.00 HSB019) back in jan 2017 (both of my battery's are the Yuasa 100ah 900a) had it replaced
may 2017, march 2018 and april 2019 all under warranty.
so three/four battery's in two years and it's not the car doing this, all tested as faulty product.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
There should be a disclaimer on the sides that’s covers both batteries stating “If manufacturing date of battery is beyond 3 months of installation, DO NOT USE!!!”
🤣
These cars will tell if the batteries are golden within a few weeks after install.
I use Ctek tenders on mines everyday and I swear after driving all day the light on my adapter plug on the left side battery will flash orange till I plug the tender in and it’s been doing that since the day I changed them. Both are Interstates.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 06-04-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point

and drove her home.
Question...I am a new owner of a 2007 GTC...What is the emergency start procedure? I was told to put my key in the ignition, turn to the right 1/4 turn and push the start button???

Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Turn it to the left hold it there for a moment and then turn it to the right and see if car will start.😉

Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, I guess turning it to the left turns the power to the car to the left battery, which I am told is the "house" battery?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by joc44
Crusher, Keep your receipt you may well need it, I got the yuasa silver (Halfords £132.00 HSB019) back in jan 2017 (both of my battery's are the Yuasa 100ah 900a) had it replaced
may 2017, march 2018 and april 2019 all under warranty.
so three/four battery's in two years and it's not the car doing this, all tested as faulty product.
Hi Jo I'm looking at changing the battery in mine and the battery guys from 2 different shops said you need to replace it with an AGM battery type , apparently they have a deeper cycle and longer lasting for cars with large electrical loads.aparently even if the ah and the cranking amps are the same the discharge is different .what a surprise they're almost twice the price

Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 AM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Model year?

Old 10-26-2023, 02:45 AM
V8 Choppa is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys got similar issues V8 turbo 2013