Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Gear shift issue and P2138

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
NO NO NO MR.BWings, it was MY misuse of the correct terminology, that is on me...

Hope all is well with YOU !

Johnny J J

Originally Posted by BWings
Hello Johnny,

Hope all is well.

Sorry, my mistake if you were talking about adaptations and not relearns. I am not spending the time here as before and only skim read this thread. I think I caught post 24 about relearn and that became part of my reply......my bad.....

All the Best,

Old 11-08-2019, 05:22 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
3-4 is common problem with Bushing and Clutch E issue..

other than that u can replace the solenoid first.. it cheap.. replace it as a set..
I won't touch the valvebody unless I know what to do..

Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Dav1992 is infamous around these parts
Hi all

quick update got the car back yesterday after just changing the accelerator pedal sensor. Still an issue from going from gear 3 to 2 but far less than was before. Drove it this morning and a little bit better again. Hopefully will get better over time.

emissions light came on this morning. In garage getting a diagnostic so will let everyone knows what comes out of it. My guess would be one of the solenoids only the gearbox caused it and probs need replacing. Will let everyone know once I found out

thanks everyone

Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Interesting Johnny also get a small shift issue in 6 too. So assuming your attached diagram correlated to solenoids I think clutch C could be the one that’s gone.

thanks

Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
@Johny: can u share the ATSG book.. it look so interesting..
Thank you

Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
@Johny: can u share the ATSG book.. it look so interesting..
Thank you
The file is too large, so here is a link for the PDF.

http://maybeme.com/Storage/JagTech/M...6%E2%80%9D.pdf

Johnny

Old 11-10-2019, 12:03 PM
So figured out there was leaky pipe too. Not sure whether gearbox or fuel pipe. Was on the left hand side of the car if you were standing in front of it. Pipe easily fixed but any idea whether transmission or fuel pipe?

had to remove MAF to access it

thanks

Old 11-10-2019, 06:06 PM
sorry markup missed on previous photo!

Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Administrator
You should with out any doubt be able to tell if it is gasoline, just smell it.

If those 2 hoses are connected to the 2 metal tubes that run up over the valve cover and to the back of the intake area, then they are 100% fuel lines, you are lucky you did not have a fire, and those clamps are not oem.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:03 AM
Yep those are the ones Johnny. Yep definitely smelt like gasoline but then I was also told that gearbox fluid smells the same.

worst thing is that it has been giving off a smell like this for the time I’ve had it so at least 5 weeks. Really lucky no fire.

well everything seems to be fine now and gear shifts are improving day by day too. So all positive

thanks for all your help Johnny

Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 AM
Yoghurtshotgun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello BWings,
I may have used the wrong terminology in my comments, I am sorry I was not clear, what I am talking about is the mandatory adaption reset aka calibration of the clutches after any fluid change and or hard parts being replaced, this calibration changes the pressures on all clutches and TC as over time and mileage they have drifted and have increased to too high of a pressure to give proper shifts, so as the complete valve body has been swapped out, a mandatory gearbox adaption run should have been performed, it's a sequence of bringing the vehicle up to certain speeds over and over, like 4 to 6 times depending on where you get the info.

One main concern I have read and yet can not confirm is, that according to some writings the 2004 6HP did not have the capability to do any adaption/calibration until a software update was installed onto the 04 trans control module by the dealer which then would allow for such re-adaption and calibration of the trans.

To Dav,
As you posted in the other thread a picture of the readings which appear to be on a VAS 5052-54 with ODIS, I do not understand your comment that your INDY does not have the computer to reset the adaption, it is in the "Guided Functions", If your 2004 allows for such action he should do it, also as we do not know the year of the mechatronics and SW version on said mechatronics its worth a read of the unit with his tool.

Below are some of the steps to follow for doing the adaption calibration, one is for the Audi A8 with the W12, others are for JAG, and BMW, even Rover, they all use this trans and you can find some info, but I at the moment can not find one for Bentley, and I do not have my VAS 5054 with me to see the guided functions, I will attach what I have found online.

Johnny

Next is some of the other versions of adaption copy and pasted below.

Re-Learning the Adaptations

The most important part of resetting transmission adaptations is the re-learn process. Refer to the process

below to see the re-learn procedure your vehicle needs after its transmission adaptations have been

reset.

Before starting this procedure, ensure the following conditions have been satisfied;

1) The adaptation values have been cleared

2) The error memory codes, if any, have been read, recorded and cleared

3) ATF temperature is 122F or above (adaptations will not learn if not)

1. Step 1 Adaptation Re-Learn Procedure (D-Mode)

1) From a standstill, accelerate the vehicle in D Mode with very light throttle (15-25% if

monitoring pedal angle with MHD) to 4th gear

2) Continue to accelerate with light throttle (20-40%) to 6th gear

3) Let the vehicle coast to ~25mph, then slow the vehicle to a standstill with light brake

application

4) With the brakes applied and the vehicle at a standstill, wait for 10 seconds

5) Repeat steps 1-4 for 9 cycles, then proceed to Step 2 below (M-Mode)

Page 4

2. Step 2 Adaptation Re-Learn Procedure (M-Mode)

1) With the shifter in M Mode, accelerate the vehicle to ~30mph and select 3rd gear

2) Continue driving for 2 miles

3) Accelerate the vehicle to ~45mph and select 5th gear

4) Using light throttle, accelerate to 50mph and then coast to ~40mph without applying the

brakes, repeat for 4 cycles, then

5) Accelerate to 55mph and select 6th gear

6) With light throttle, accelerate to 65mph then coast to 50mph without applying the brakes,

repeat for 4 cycles, then

7) Select 3rd gear and repeat steps 1-6 for 5 cycles, then coast to a standstill and proceed to

Step 3 below

3. Step 3 (Shift Confirmation)

1. With the vehicle at a standstill, shift from “N” to “D”, wait 5 seconds then shift back into “N”

2. Repeat this for 4 cycles, then

3. Shift from “N” to “R”, wait 5 seconds then shift back into “N”

4. Repeat this for 4 cycles, then

5. Check error memory to ensure there are no codes

This concludes the basic procedure for re-learning the transmission adaptations. Please keep in

mind that the transmission will continue to learn over the next few days to completely learn itself

into the new parameters and shift quality will continue to improve. Drive the vehicle as normal.

One More...

No sport mode, accelerate from rest up all the gears, keeping the revs below 2000, and below 1500 if possible.
Once it reaches top gear, let it coast down to a stop, without using the brakes, so it downchanges into each gear. Repeat this as many times as possible. 2 times minimum.
then advise the customer to drive gently and keeping rpm low for the next 200 miles.

Johnny

Wow I've just read this thinking I'd try a re learn on mine but where the hell do they think your gonna do this I'd need to rent a drag strip or runway lol and that's not to guarantee you get it right fist time 🙈, Johnny would you happen to know the correct shift solanoids I have a 2004 with 5th gear shift issues and ut looks like a lazy solanoid but figured I'd change them all whilst I have it apart. Thanks for the post

Old 08-09-2021, 07:26 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonnax-6R60...-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-325i-xi...-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF6HP19-ZF6...-127632-2357-0

These are the three essentials for the valve body rebuild. The solenoid kit for the BMW is the same for the Bentley. The reference is for the part numbers since this is referencing eBay USA.

Some of the harsh downshifts are because the accumulators, which are in the zip kit are flattened, due to age and sometimes bad solenoids. The zip kit accumulators are an improved version and do make a difference. Normally when rebuilding the valve body there is a process for checking vacuum on each of the passages. The rebuild sometimes fix some problems like delayed reverse and harsh downshifting. However it is not a cure-all. Regrettably 2004 and 5 do not support and adaptive reset via vcds, as touched upon. Apparently a certified ZF transmission shop can implement an Adaptive reset using ZF software.