Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:17 PM
H-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bentley GT key

Dear All, our GT 2006, both keys have stopped working apart from kessy. We can still open the doors keyless and start car. We changed key batteries but still not joy. I have sent one key to a reputable repair company last Saturday, they tell me one of the capacitor has broken off, and they have asked me if I can get hold of another secondhand key so they can transfer some of the little chips, Has anyone had this issue befor3?

Thanks in advace

Old 11-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I just dealt with an amazing key fiasco.

Quick answer (Johnny will have better details): you need a new "key kit" from Bentley, which is ordered from Crewe via the Bentley dealership. They do it off your VIN and will require a title to do the work. I just paid $823 for two keys.

Then the dealer much program them, usually they charge 1.5 hours or $350 or so.

I don't think there is any other answer, the Kessy must be programmed at the dealer itself.

Now, there is one guy that advertises being able to program if you send both your Kessy and keys to him, but that seems like even more of a hassle than just going to the dealer.

I imagine that if it is a simple capacitor change, you might be able to fix your old key, I find that a bit hard to believe since the circuit board is so small it doesn't seem repairable but maybe I'm wrong and you can just buy a used key and change out a capacitor

But if you're trying to change out the chip that has identifying info, I suspect your'e stuck with buying two new keys.

The good news is that the new keys are extremely high quality.

Last edited by British; 11-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:01 AM
ulflei is an unknown quantity at this point
I just jump here on the bandwagon with my question .
I get the message key not found or key battery low ,so I changed the battery in the fab and still the same message.
I can lock the car as a keyless go but no open it without physically using the key .
Any ideas, it's a 2008 GT ?

Old 11-26-2022, 03:55 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Since nobody's answered, I'll take a stab, not that I'm a key expert. The module that recognizes the key is in the footwell, so there should be no problem with it recognizing the key if it's in the ignition. I suspect you changed a battery with an old battery, or something is bad with your key itself. I imagine it could also be the Kessy unit.

@Johnnyhotspur knows far more than I do, so maybe he can help. There is a service that will match keys with your Kessy if you mail them both off (they're on Ebay). My cynical assumption is that either the Kessy is going bad or your key is going bad, assuming it isn't something dumb like replacing a dead battery with an almost dead battery.

Sounds like a visit to the dealer is in order and I'd get ready for $1,000 and ten or 20 day's wait for a new "key set". If it's your Kessy module, it's going to be a ton of money unless you do it yourself. If it's the Kessy, I'd buy a used one, buy a new key set from Bentley and have the Ebay guy matching them together.

The new keys from Bentley are really nice, BTW, they are worthy of the Bentley label. My original was pretty cheap looking.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by H-M3
Dear All, our GT 2006, both keys have stopped working apart from kessy. We can still open the doors keyless and start car. We changed key batteries but still not joy. I have sent one key to a reputable repair company last Saturday, they tell me one of the capacitor has broken off, and they have asked me if I can get hold of another secondhand key so they can transfer some of the little chips, Has anyone had this issue befor3?

Thanks in advace
Hello @H-M3 ,
I swore that I responded to this the day you posted it, odd..

Anyway, do you have any updates ?

As you say the key fobs stopped working apart from the KESSY, I take that to mean in your 2006 that all keyless entry and push button start all works as it should, and that only the 3 buttons along with the panic button on the fobs is what is not in working order, correct ?

So, being that the fobs work on two different circuits so to say, keyless and push buttons, the first thing to do would be to put one keyfob in the ignition switch and the other in the drivers door lock cylinder, turn on the ignition (do not start the engine) then turn the key-blade in the door lock cylinder to the left iirc while pushing one button on the keyfob in the door lock cylinder, the unlock button iirc, then swap the keys and do the same for the other, I had this same situation once on my GT, the fobs allowed keyless entry and start, but the buttons did nothing, not that they are really needed, as grabbing the handles opens the doors, and the "B" press opens the trunk, an other thing that I noticed was that if I pressed either of the buttons on the fob (at night, or in a dark garage) during this issue, the two little LED 's in the mirror that shine on the console, they would light up at the press of a keyfob button, but did nothing to lock or unlock the vehicle, it is an odd occurrence, as if it sees signal to activate those two lights, why wouldn't it open the door lock, it's like they lost their pairing or certain command programming, but doing as I described above, makes all in working order.

Hopefully you have both fobs by now, if not, and you only have the fob you retained, you can hold that fob just to the side of the ignition switch key slot, then use either any other VAG key-blade or a flat head screwdriver to turn the ignition to the on position, (the ignition switch has no tumblers) then put the key-blade in the door lock cylinder, turn, and push and hold the unlock button as described above.

A scan would help to know of any other issues, like a bad antenna, as there are quite a few throughout the vehicle, different antennas for the different functions.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-26-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2022, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ulflei
I just jump here on the bandwagon with my question .
I get the message key not found or key battery low ,so I changed the battery in the fab and still the same message.
I can lock the car as a keyless go but no open it without physically using the key .
Any ideas, it's a 2008 GT ?
​​​​​​Hello @ulflei ,
Any updates ?

​​​As @British touched on the keyfob battery and the KESSY module itself, let me add this, I just went outside to test two functions of the keyfob, and the reason I did this was, because you stated that you could lock the car by the keyless entry system (pressing the button on the door handle, correct) but it will not unlock when you touch the door handle, so I took my keyfob battery out, I was unable to unlock the vehicle either by keyless entry (touching the handle) or any buttons on the fob itself, I then put the battery back in and opened the vehicle, then removed the battery again and trying to lock the vehicle, the keyfob is rendered useless without a battery, no entry, nor locking of the vehicle, SO, being that you can lock the vehicle by keyless as you stated, the battery is not the issue right now.

Please confirm that we are all on the same page as the your comment of "keyless", and or tell us what the keyfob buttons do when pressed.

As British said, the KESSY is under the carpet on the drivers side (LHD) floorboard, so, tell us if you have any dampness in the carpet, any water leaks lately, heavy rains, car wash, cowl drains cleaned, HVAC drains cleaned on both sides of the transmission tunnel, do you have a scan for any faults of the KESSY, door handles, antennas etc., also, what happens when you try the passenger side door handle ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-26-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:13 PM
Thanks Johnny

i will give that and try and report back.

kind regards

Old 12-01-2022, 09:35 AM
ulflei is an unknown quantity at this point
We are on the same page ,also my Keyless go started working again for a week just to quit again and after a few days working again.
There is no water or humidity under my floor mats.
All my 3 buttons don't work since I own the car 18 month now but the Keyless used to work fine ,no problem with starting the car manually with the key in the ignition.
Also I only have 1 key
I will put my computer on and see if there is any reading for the KESSY ,not sure what that is anyway.
I drove the car 14000 miles since I owned it so far that is the only problem I had.
Thank you both for your help

Old 12-11-2022, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Any updates @H-M3 & @ulflei ?

Johnny

Old 12-18-2022, 05:46 PM
Sorry buddy not yet, cars parked at my dads and been busy with work etc. Will do this week sometime though. One other thing, can you buy the key case replacement from Stealers? Also in the UK I don’t think we have panic buttons??

Old 12-06-2023, 02:30 PM
hongtvu2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i get a duplicate key made for 2009 Bentley??

Good afternoon,

Can someone help me where I can get a duplicate key made for my 2009 Bentley convertible beside the dealer. The closet Bentley dealer is in Houston. Thank you.