Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT Rear Spoiler Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
ExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really nice
Bentley GT Rear Spoiler Malfunction

My rear spoiler on my 2004 Bentley GT is stuck in the up position and will not lower manually. The malfunction light is on the the gauge to. When I press the button to lower the spoiler, I can hear the motor running to lower it but it doesn't move. It is almost like it is caught on something. Any ideas? Can you manually lower it without pressing the lower button in the center console?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
I had this problem - $3500 later it was fixed

Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
try spraying some lube into the posts. it may be jammed that way

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 AM
ExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really nice
Originally Posted by djantlive
try spraying some lube into the posts. it may be jammed that way
I will try this and see what happens. I did find out that if you remove the trunk liner you can access the motor and manually lower the wing. There is a screw in the motor that you can use to manually raise or lower the wing. I have the elec connector disconnected for now.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 PM
caveman24 is on a distinguished road
I got the spoiler error message/logo displayed on my console when I drive above 30km/h. Using the VCDS system to diagnose does not reveal anything. Is there a way to disable or fool the system to remove the error message on the console?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Jmolnar is on a distinguished road
You should be able to just push down on the spoiler and it lowers

The most common problem with the spoiler(if your motor is running properly),
Is seized mechanisms, or the little clips that hold the metal together break and the mechanism comes apart,they are made of plastic and are useless

I normally make my own from metal

If you take the boot panel down you can see easily there is an Allen key screw in the motor which will move the mechanism manually

Unbolt the the motor (3 torx bolts) and operate the switch this woll tell you the motor side of things is ok

Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM
I meant to say the clips thay hold the outer tubing together

Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM
caveman24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply.
I will check it out.
How about disabling the error message on the console? This error message/logo on the console everytime I drive is irritating...Anyway to bypass and off the message?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM
You wont be able ro bypass the error code/light
I supose the only thing you could do if you really didnt want to spemd the money and you want to get rid of the light,is to pull the drive cables out and bolt the motor back in(presuming the motor is working) you said you thought it was
That the way the motor would spin and the light would not show up

Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jmolnar
You wont be able ro bypass the error code/light
I supose the only thing you could do if you really didnt want to spemd the money and you want to get rid of the light,is to pull the drive cables out and bolt the motor back in(presuming the motor is working) you said you thought it was
That the way the motor would spin and the light would not show up
I tried this and the light still comes on. I couldn't figure out why but I believe it is part of the initialization process after you start the car. Once the car is started, the light is not there. After about 30 seconds, the light shows up. Please see my post below (post #74) on how to disable the light on the dash.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4033357

Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
AE86_SF is on a distinguished road
Remove the covering on the wiring harness that travels into the trunk lid from the trunk by the right side hinge. This wiring is subject to a lot of movement & it's not uncommon for the wiring to fatigue & break, causing this exact fault.
It's not a very difficult repair, just time consuming ( if this is your fault & there isn't more to it ).

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Thats good that you managed to sort it
i wasnt sure removing mech would work but at least you worked it out

The module must look for a current draw

Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM
jsmith141182 is on a distinguished road
Jmolnar i have the same problem with the useless plastic threaded parts which hold the outer tubing together on the spoiler mech. How did you make some out of metal? Would you consider making me some? I'd gladly pay for them of course. Thanks, Jake

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Hi guys

I currently have an issue with my gt spoiler coming up and down later than it should.

I believe the car must have had a problen with the spoiler in the past and someone has fitted the older motor with higher trigger speeds.

The correct part number is 1CO 959 733L

Does anyone know if the similar 1CO 959 733F - cheaper model from the VW Beetle is a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 AM
I got mine fixed and disabled so it wouldn't work again. Seems like this part is prone to malfunctioning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GT Rear Spoiler Malfunction