Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Ross-Tech and Apple warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Ross-Tech and Apple warning

I've had good luck with my Ross-Tech VCDS analyzer, I'm not that great at using it, but it does give you raw access to what you need as well as a great diagnostic. I've used it to reset the check engine light for spurious alerts and have confirmed what my independent shows needs done.

Anyway, a long time ago I moved from Microsoft to Apple and I use Parallels to emulate Windows 10 for my Windows programs. Over the years I've updated my computer and migrated everything, my newest MacBook Pro no longer has the old USB B inputs.

The Ross-tech cable and software still works (for those who don't know what I'm talking about, you buy the cable that plugs into your car's ODBI port from Ross-tech and the software is a free download to work with the dongle) but here is where the caution comes in. I was able to use a USB-B to USB-C converter for the cable, it still worked too.

But…the other evening at.a stoplight, my car rough idled for about 15 seconds, the check engine light came on, then everything went back to normal.

I got out my computer in the parking garage and plugged 'er in. But Ross-tech needed a software update. So I tethered my iPhone, did the software update. Then the dongle needed a firmware update. This also came with a USB "legacy" update. All of these updates went poorly, I had to re-boot several times, disconnect and re-connect the USB, even restart the whole Mac.

Finally gave up, took the computer and cable home to get good internet. Finally, after dorking around with it, got everything updated.

Then I noticed…my computer wasn't charging. Something I had done killed all four of my USB-C ports, they didn't recognize anything, not chargers, not anything.

Took it into Apple, they said it was clearly a hardware issue and that they would probably have to replace the whole logic board, which includes the hard drive, all data lost, did I have it backed up?

No diagnostics showed anything.

In the end, as the computer ran out of total battery, it started taking a charge and they revived it back to normal, all is saved, yay for the Genius Bar and their patience and my AppleCare.

I emailed Ross-tech to tell them about this, they didn't know. They don't "support" Apple computers, but Apples with emulators have always worked, they just wouldn't help troubleshoot. However, if anyone here uses Ross-tech cables and Apple stuff, don't update the software and certainly don't update the cable firmware. It was an utter disaster.

Funny end to this: I went to Best Buy and asked for their most awful laptop on sale on Black Friday. They had the worst: an open-box Asus 13" 1.1 ghz laptop…for $87.50! Hell yes, I'll take it. Don't try to talk me out of it, I know exactly how awful it is, I only need it for one application. Best Buy sales woman was pretty funny about it, she normally wouldn't have sold this thing to anyone in good conscience but since I was fully aware of the awfulness of this thing, she was willing to.

Got it home, got it updated, downloaded Ross-tech, works like a charm, going to just keep it in the trunk with a cigarette lighter converter for power, still can't believe I got a Windows 11 computer for less than $90.

If only one person ends up reading this that I save from killing their ports (I still think if we hadn't noticed the lightning bolt indicating a charge as he computer totally died, it would be away getting all it's innards replaced) I think that wiring this message will be worth it.

For the search engines: don't update Ross-Tech VCDS firmware with Apple Computer.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-26-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:50 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
Whoa, that sucks having to go through! I'm still very new to my Ross-Tech VCDS, but I've used it a few times on my father's old PC laptop to check and clear fault codes. Thanks for the post, nonetheless! I only have Mac laptops & computers myself these days.

I remember frying a USB-port on my old PC with a faulty USB extension cord that I had ordered off eBay. (Back in the good ol' days when you could order every cord in the world from China for 99 cents, including free shipping and no import duties...)

Perhaps this is not the right place to ask for this, maybe I should start a new thread, but do you know if it is possible to clear a "Service now" message with VCDS? If so, how?

Old 11-29-2022, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@xclens ,
Here is the service reset procedure.

Johnny

Old 11-29-2022, 09:23 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, Johnny!! I'll be darned if you do not know just everything about these ol' cars.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Johnny is the best. He has walked me though some really awful stuff and is super-concerned to make sure I get out the other side. He knows more about these cars than service techs at the dealerships know. My independent would hire him in an instant! He used Johnny's photos and instructions to solve an exhaust issue that I don't think they would have even found, he made a Youtube video and acknowledged him.

What a lot of people don't know is that Johnny is not just online, he is on the phone with Bentley friends from around the world helping them keep their car on the road, he calls, texts, answers his phone, will immediately walk out to his car(s) to see if what you're seeing is what is normal or abnormal, anyway, Johnny is a true good person.