996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Laptop OBDII reader anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Top is infamous around these parts
Laptop OBDII reader anyone?

Let me preface this by saying I've spent about 2 hours on google/rennlist/here trying to find some kind of definitive answer to the simple problem of pulling my CEL code, but have come up empty.

Every thread just says, buy a durametric you'll love it!

Or the occasional, Actron is $70 well spent!

ex:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-70-bucks.html

I have one of the USB to OBD2 flashing cables from one of the ecu tuning companies which most of us have. Advertised as a "durametric" cable.

Spending $70 for an Actron or whatever more a durametric costs seems like overkill just to see that my car is firing a P0420.

Has anyone used one of the many generic obd2 software from the net just to grab the code(s) off your car? If so, details please?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
maybe find someone local? ---

Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
I -could- do that, just drive to autozone and ask them to plug in their actron and read it for me, but I'd rather do it myself and not shell out the money for actron/durametric for reasons previously mentioned.

I'm talking about things like

http://www.obdautodoctor.com/ (free basic trial)
http://torque-bhp.com/ ($4.95 on google play)

I have read on various porsche forums, people using the Torque android app for this, which requires a bluetooth to OBD2 connection rather than the USB to OBD2 I already have. If anything, that's only $15 for the OBD2 to bluetooth.

I think it might be because the durametric cable isn't ELM327 which is what most of these generic obd2 scanners want. Anyone confirm/deny?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Looks like there are a few threads on the ELM327

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...elm-327-a.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-iis-apps.html

So I guess my other assumption was correct as to why the standard flashing cable doesn't work with these generic obd2 scanners. Guess I'll pick one up for $10 and report back.

Last edited by Top; 05-01-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
You could download durametric software and see if it works with your cable, software is free I think.

You can get a refurb durametric for around 200 if you call and ask.

It does so much more than pull codes, it's worth the money.

If not go take it to autozone. They don't charge you and you'll know that code. Anything else in between you ll look back and regret.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stilov
You could download durametric software and see if it works with your cable, software is free I think.

You can get a refurb durametric for around 200 if you call and ask.

It does so much more than pull codes, it's worth the money.

If not go take it to autozone. They don't charge you and you'll know that code. Anything else in between you ll look back and regret.
Probably not, I think durametric relies on a chip in the cable to verify the product (at least in my pro cable). I've tried it with a ebay vag-com compatible cable that works with VAG for my audi and vw and no response from durametric. I've also tried a cable from EPL from a few years back and again no go.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
He said his cable was one that the tuners use and advertise as durametric.

If it is in fact durametric it may work. If it's generic. Probably not

Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stilov
He said his cable was one that the tuners use and advertise as durametric.

If it is in fact durametric it may work. If it's generic. Probably not
My bad, didn't read in full detail.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
I'm not familiar w/the 'Actron' name but I have a couple of those (as well as Durametric).....but I don't remembering them being $70.......more like $35.

Great tool IMHO......I keep em in the door pocket....handy. You'll use it eventually. Can't tell you how many times I've reset codes and did quick-checks of issues on the fly.