Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Need a trickle charger for a 2005 GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 11:03 AM
Bent is on a distinguished road
Need a trickle charger for a 2005 GT

I have a 2005 Bentley GT. Looking for a trickle charger.
2 quick questions:

1. What trickle charger would you recommend?
2. Where do you connect it to? Am I supposed to leave the trunk open while it's connected?

Any info would be appreciated!

Old 03-23-2024, 11:52 AM
hq_
hq_ is an unknown quantity at this point
The official charger is a run of the mill CTEK with a proprietary plug for the trunk socket. I remember seeing adapter cables sold online for using a generic CTEK for this purpose. I have a bunch of CTEKs that have accumulated over the years and have thought about testing if a more powerful MXS10 works like the OEM equivalent XS7000. There shouldn't be a problem closing the trunk, batteries are vented out so no hydrogen should accumulate inside while charging.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by hq_
The official charger is a run of the mill CTEK with a proprietary plug for the trunk socket. I remember seeing adapter cables sold online for using a generic CTEK for this purpose. I have a bunch of CTEKs that have accumulated over the years and have thought about testing if a more powerful MXS10 works like the OEM equivalent XS7000. There shouldn't be a problem closing the trunk, batteries are vented out so no hydrogen should accumulate inside while charging.
Thank you, in regards to the trunk...my concern was more about the wire getting crushed/damaged when the trunk is closed.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
hq_
hq_ is an unknown quantity at this point
High quality cables can take a lot of punishment so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've closed trunks on lots of cables over the years with no ill effects. It's best to gauge where's the most space between the trunk lid and car body (usually lower corners) and route the cable through there.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:17 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
On my '09 I had the charger in the trunk and closed the lid over a standard flat extension cord for power. I used a couple of Harbor Freight chargers, one connected to each battery and it worked well for the years I owned the car. My '16 has the magnetic charge point on the exterior which is a pleasure and the CTEK charger came with the car.

Pro-Tip! When you have any cord coming out of the trunk hang a reminder on the door handle - particularly if you back into the garage. Ask me how I know!

Harbor Freight chargers I used: https://www.harborfreight.com/4amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+charger

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-25-2024 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Link
Old 03-24-2024, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by hq_
High quality cables can take a lot of punishment so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've closed trunks on lots of cables over the years with no ill effects. It's best to gauge where's the most space between the trunk lid and car body (usually lower corners) and route the cable through there.
Should I leave the trunk open a crack? Or just close it on the wire?

Old 03-24-2024, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by BruceR
On my '09 I had the charger in the trunk and closed the lid over a standard flat extension cord for power. I used a couple of Harbor Freight chargers, one connected to each battery and it worked well for the years I owned the car. My '16 has the magnetic charge point on the exterior which is a pleasure and the CTEK charger came with the car.

Pro-Tip! When you have any cord coming out of the trunk hang a reminder on the door handle - particularly if you back into the garage. Ask me how I know!

Harbor Freight chargers I used: https://www.harborfreight.com/4amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+charger
Haha, great idea hanging something on the door handle as a reminder! Also, is it important to trick charge both batteries, or should I trickle charge a specific one?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-25-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:33 AM
I trickle charged both batteries with individual chargers on the '09 and closed the trunk lid completely on the wire.
This is what I hang on my door handle: https://amzn.to/4auxUVp

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-25-2024 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by BruceR
I trickle charged both batteries with individual chargers on the '09 and closed the trunk lid completely on the wire.
This is what I hang on my door handle: https://amzn.to/4auxUVp
That's great, thank you!

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-25-2024 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Link
Old 03-24-2024, 11:44 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
I always leave my trunk lid slightly cracked, and I learned that the hard way. I've had the unfortunate incident of the power to my separate garage going out, with me not noticing for a few weeks, and the main Bentley battery was dead with no way of getting in the trunk. The pull switch behind the back seats didn't work, and it wasn't until I learned that I could turn the key the other way, to engage both batteries together, so to speak, that I got the trunk opened again. You live and you learn!

Old 03-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bent
That's great, thank you!

Old 03-26-2024, 06:57 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
I purchased two of the CTEK 7002 charger/maintainers and also two of their Ctek Comfort Connect extension cords. I have a hard wire quick disconnect which came with the chargers so I connected one of these to each battery. The extension cords are thin and I close the trunk with them in place. If the trunk ever damages them or they show wear, I will just replace the extensions. I am happy with it.

https://smartercharger.com/collectio...-multi-us-7002
https://smartercharger.com/collectio...xtension-cable

Bruce,
Great idea on the remove before flight. I am just waiting for the day I drive off with the chargers connected. I am hoping it doesn't end up like Ms Nausbaum driving out of the gas station or Wiley Coyote.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mars911
I purchased two of the CTEK 7002 charger/maintainers and also two of their Ctek Comfort Connect extension cords. I have a hard wire quick disconnect which came with the chargers so I connected one of these to each battery. The extension cords are thin and I close the trunk with them in place. If the trunk ever damages them or they show wear, I will just replace the extensions. I am happy with it.

https://smartercharger.com/collectio...-multi-us-7002
https://smartercharger.com/collectio...xtension-cable

Bruce,
Great idea on the remove before flight. I am just waiting for the day I drive off with the chargers connected. I am hoping it doesn't end up like Ms Nausbaum driving out of the gas station or Wiley Coyote.
Exactly what I once did however the chargers were in the trunk and only the extension cord was dangling off the back. I was wondering why everybody was waving to me that day!
That afternoon the RBF tags were in place.