BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Considering an M6 or 650

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
roadking will become famous soon enough
Considering an M6 or 650

What are the general thoughts around the 6 series? I may be selling my CLS and would like to move back to a two door coupe. Also looking at the SL55 and the CL550. Any issues with the DSG tranny?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
AeroTT is on a distinguished road
I personally love the 6 series. I have had all three models: 645Ci, 650i, and currently M6 (all in coupe form). The 650i Sport I absolutely loved. I used it as an everyday car. It did everything flawlessly and sounded great. The M6 is just a different car altogether. Granted, Im still breaking in the car with only 750mi on the clock, but the V10 is to die for. Go M6 all the way! Good luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Slick //M will become famous soon enoughSlick //M will become famous soon enough
You will not regret buying an M6 - -the only complaint I have about the car - is not finding enough open road to test it's limits. .. It's one of those cars that beg to be driven harder all the time - -

When you test drive it - make sure to put it in "m" mode all 500 hp, fast shifts, sport suspension, etc.....good luck

Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
650 is a great car but I would MUCH rather have a slightly used M6 for the same money. if money is no problem than just get a new M6

Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 AM
master_jcp will become famous soon enoughmaster_jcp will become famous soon enough
Drive all cars and than you must decide for yourself.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
john revis is on a distinguished road
After numerous Porsches of all kinds, mostly turbo cars, and 2 Ferraris, I find myself in my first BMW, an M6 that I have had about a month. Love it. Great power, comfortable, super interior with all leather and carbon, alcantara headliner, excellent trunk, and fast. Not a torque monster, but the V10 winds to north of 8k. I had a new CL55 a couple of years ago, and it bored me after 6 months. I suspect an SL55 would be the same, I then went back to Porsche for a GT2 for 3 years, and the M6 replaced it.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roadking
What are the general thoughts around the 6 series? I may be selling my CLS and would like to move back to a two door coupe. Also looking at the SL55 and the CL550. Any issues with the DSG tranny?
i think CLS55 is definately worth keeping but if you have to sell it, get M6
if i were you, i'd prolly keep CLS55 and buy used M6
i believe M6 still uses SMG not DSG.
none of BMWs use DSG yet.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
roadking will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the comments. The CLS55 is a great car. Runs great, looks great, just looking for something that is a little more engaging. The M6 has all the good aspects of the CLS but appears to be more of a drivers car. I am heading out to do some test drives this coming weekend. Is the SMG tranny civil in day to day driving?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roadking
Thanks for the comments. The CLS55 is a great car. Runs great, looks great, just looking for something that is a little more engaging. The M6 has all the good aspects of the CLS but appears to be more of a drivers car. I am heading out to do some test drives this coming weekend. Is the SMG tranny civil in day to day driving?
i've yet to drive SMG yet but i heard it's really jerky.

only one way to find out though, try !

Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 AM
john revis is on a distinguished road
Drive it in the manual mode with the shift speed increased one bar, and drive it like a manual transmission, both upshifts and downshifts. In the drive mode, also increase the shift speed one bar, although drive is boring in comparison. When I first did my test drives, I was very put off by SMG because of the low speed hesitation in normal drive. I'm cured.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Vantage will become famous soon enough
My dad and I were considering another car earlier in the year and it was mainly between the M6 and the CLS63. I figured the CLS was the better looking car but the M6 had to be the better drivers car and each make an equal amount of power. I drove the CLS63 for a weekend and loved it but you do feel somewhat disconnected, it's really a blunt instrument, you just slam your foot down and go. This can be really fun (and it was) but I see the CLS as more of an everyday car and not something that you would look forward to pulling out only once or twice a week for the purpose of driving. Unfortunately I didn't get to drive the M6 but I imagine it is pretty awesome. We stuck with the Porsche afterall though.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Don't drive the M6 if you're considering the 650. The M6 just keeps pulling and pulling. The 650 would have been fine if we hadn't been thrashing around the track in the M6. We were just doing braking maneuver's in the 650 and the thing just wouldn't go!!!

As for SMG, you need to know how to drive a stick to drive SMG smoothly. Forget auto mode, it's not that smooth, but manual is very good if you drive in S4 or S5 and lift a little right when you pull the paddle up. Downshifts are just intoxicating with the ECU doing perfect throttle blips with each downshift.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM
cmont295 is on a distinguished road
I got my M6 cab this august, traded it a c4s cab 996. There is no comparison, the M6 is such a great car, the SMG is awesome, not jerky, it takes about a week to get used to it. Only regret not getting the soft closing doors. The car is FAST!!! confortable, and you can change its personality by adjunsting a few buttons. The nav system is a little slow, the radio is awesome, unlike Porsche. Love the M6.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM
windnsea00 is on a distinguished road
Funny enough the normal 6's have never rubbed me right way but the M6 is awesome! However the OP being a MBZ driver, let it be known the M6 does take someone who wants to be part of the drive more than a passenger merely pushing pedals.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
It's not as bad as Lexus people who want a BMW because of the name... then complain it's too "bouncy" or too "bumpy." I have a couple friends like this. I just tell them to be happy with the Lexus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering an M6 or 650