BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 SMG Transmission - Things to look out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is on a distinguished road
E46 M3 SMG Transmission - Things to look out for?

Soon I will be on the hunt for an E46 M3, due to injuries from my motorcycle accident I will be unable to drive manual for quite a lengthy period of time, therefore I've decided to go with my original love, the E46 M3, just with the SMG transmission.

I've read a lot on other forums regarding the transmission and there are several mixed opinions. Certain people have an innate hate for the transmission, others love it. I know its not very feasible to have an unbiased opinion however what issues are there with this transmission?

I'm going to be looking to purchase one within the years of '01 and '04 depending on price and options. Does BMW have a system which identifies how much life is left on the clutch like Ferrari or no?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
I owned one for about 25k miles up until about 3 months ago. I had ZERO issues, and LOVED it to death. If you can find one that is CPO (2003.5 or 2004) then you will be in warranty, otherwise know that if SMG pump fails (which RARELY happens) it is quite expensive. Other than that the clutch wears like a traditional manual. There are a few other switches that can fail, but I think not very many people are having issues with them. LOVED mine.

Would buy another one.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned
M3-ADDICT is infamous around these partsM3-ADDICT is infamous around these parts
The great software of SMG won't allow you to ruin the Engine too much even if you tried. For example, you can't just down shift to 1st gear from 5th and do crazy things. No burn outs or donuts which is A+. Essentially SMG cars have great engines and the SMG clutch lasts until 75K with harsh driving. A lot of people never get their clutch replaced.

Do a PPI to make sure, it's not something you can discover.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT
. No burn outs or donuts which is A+. .
uhhhhhhh

Maybe for you...

Let me see if I can find those gifs...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned
<Maciej> is on a distinguished road
The great software of SMG won't allow you to ruin the Engine too much even if you tried. For example, you can't just down shift to 1st gear from 5th and do crazy things. No burn outs or donuts which is A+. Essentially SMG cars have great engines and the SMG clutch lasts until 75K with harsh driving. A lot of people never get their clutch replaced.

Well I'm forbidden to walk or drive for the next six months so I'll be searching diligently and make sure that it does get a PPI regardless.

The issue with CPO's in my opinion is that it adds like an additional $5k to the price as well as an originally high price when it comes to the price tag in general opposed to private party. I'd almost prefer to replace it with my own funds.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned
M3-ADDICT is infamous around these partsM3-ADDICT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 12:03
uhhhhhhh

Maybe for you...

Let me see if I can find those gifs...
It's possible, but you really have to be driving someone else's car to put your car into that type of abuse. Where as on the Manual, a little harsh launch with the clutch could easily spin your tires.

Last edited by M3-ADDICT; 05-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by <Maciej>
Well I'm forbidden to walk or drive for the next six months so I'll be searching diligently and make sure that it does get a PPI regardless.

The issue with CPO's in my opinion is that it adds like an additional $5k to the price as well as an originally high price when it comes to the price tag in general opposed to private party. I'd almost prefer to replace it with my own funds.
CPO covers very limited things. A lot of people forget that, and think it's as good as the Factory warranty. Also as you said, you'll be paying almost up to 3-5K extra.

What's Covered:

Engine
Automatic/Manual Transmission
Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Steering
Brakes
ABS Brake System

Electrical
Air Conditioning/Heating System
Cooling System
Interior/Exterior
Fuel System
Final Drive Assembly, Propeller Shaft

Old 05-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I just picked up a 03 SMG and am quite impressed. For city driving or going on trips it's a blast. You can drive it in full auto during traffic jams, or put it in S5/6 Sequential when you want to have some fun. It works very well and has quite a bit of adjustability.

Place in manual mode, turn off traction control, and press SMG over to mode 6 for all the fun launches and burnouts you want.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned
CPO covers very limited things. A lot of people forget that, and think it's as good as the Factory warranty. Also as you said, you'll be paying almost up to 3-5K extra.

What's Covered:

Engine
Automatic/Manual Transmission
Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Steering
Brakes
ABS Brake System

Electrical
Air Conditioning/Heating System
Cooling System
Interior/Exterior
Fuel System
Final Drive Assembly, Propeller Shaft
Considering I'm mechanically inclined I won't have a problem to do most of the stuff. I'll leave the SMG up to the dealer but the rest of the stuff I think I can handle myself.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Just thought I'd throw in, if you want SMG, you are looking at 02+.
01 is only 6MT.

I'd look for a 2003.5 CPO if I were you.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by WyattH
Just thought I'd throw in, if you want SMG, you are looking at 02+.
01 is only 6MT.

I'd look for a 2003.5 CPO if I were you.
I found a beautiful 2003 Phoenix Yellow with SMG, 33k miles, for $28k which I think is perfect, but I won't be in the actual market until 6-8 months from now... considering I'm not capable of driving or walking.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
if you buy a phoenix yellow car you will have a really hard time selling it when the time comes. worst color ever...

as for SMG burnouts and whatnot, it is about control of the throttle, and your bravery

launch control works well too

Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 12:03
if you buy a phoenix yellow car you will have a really hard time selling it when the time comes. worst color ever...

as for SMG burnouts and whatnot, it is about control of the throttle, and your bravery

launch control works well too

Going to be keeping the car for a very long time so no worries about that, I'm probably going to just go with red or silver.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
I found two ways to do some massive burn outs with SMG. One was just like getting Euro launch control. The other was by accident because I was bored at a stop light and stumbled upon it -basically tricked the computer into dropping the clutch at about 4-5K RPM's.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Damn son, you hit the lottery or something?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 SMG Transmission - Things to look out for?