BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

--BMW has confirmed that it has canceled the Z4 M--

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
belkamc2 is on a distinguished road
Arrow --BMW has confirmed that it has canceled the Z4 M--

Sadly, BMW has confirmed that it has canceled the Z4 M.
The automaker said the economic downturn and a lack of customer interest in the model ruled out going forward with an M version of the Z4.
But it seems odd to cite the crisis hitting automotive sales as a reason for killing the model when the company is also going forward with the X5 M and the X6 M and a whole host of new products that are large, expensive and not very economical on fuel costs.
So maybe the second reason cited was a larger factor than they are letting on, the lack of customer demand. Hard to imagine that of all the new upcoming BMW models, including the 5-series GT, that the Z4 would be the one where customer interest in an M version hasn't been piqued enough.
A BMW spokesperson was quoted by iMotor.co.uk as saying,"Given the current economic crisis there is no business case for a full-on M version of the Z4." The spokesperson also admitted that the X5 M and X6 M were given the go-ahead before the collapse in sales which, in many cases, have hit premium brands just as hard as the volume automakers.
The consolation prize will be an M Sport package for the Z4, like the one for the 135i. That would include a few M-badges tucked here and there but mainly on the steering wheel, a more tightly tuned suspension, a body kit and bigger alloy wheels. Couple all that with the BMW's 3.0 liter, twin-turbo with 306 hp and it should pack enough of a punch. What else do you want? Don't you know there's global economic crisis?

source:worldcarfans.com

Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
A X5 and X6 M,but no M version of a BMW sports car?

that`s ridiculous!

instead of producing a M1 and a Z4M they are putting the M-badge on two overweight grocery trucks..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Striker_AMG can only hope to improve
That's because BMW have always been dumb in every possible way you could ever imagine!!

I seriously can't figure out a reason by creating the 5series GT !!!!!! They already have the X6, it looks exactly the same but the 5series is lower to the ground.....

Reason of Bankruptcy: Stupidity.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
belkamc2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Striker_AMG
I seriously can't figure out a reason by creating the 5series GT !!!!!!
this is what i think!
5series GT is 'an unnecessary car'..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
I hardly ever see Z4 M's around, I think they know their own business better then you guys do... I wouldn't be so quick on giving them advice on which of THEIR OWN products sell well and which don't.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fantasma
I hardly ever see Z4 M's around, I think they know their own business better then you guys do... I wouldn't be so quick on giving them advice on which of THEIR OWN products sell well and which don't.
i agree on that as well. i rarely see reg z4s. maybe good choice for them(?)

Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 AM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
yeah they weren't doing too good here in us with m coupe/roadsters. I personally was waiting to see what they do to new z4m though but oh well..

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
M Z cars never sold well for some reason, that being said the Z4 35sidrive with the SMG is going to be very close to the performance of the MZ4.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 AM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
I knew that this would be coming up

Of course a Z4M or a M3 CSL would struggle to bring in even just a fraction of the money that a 5 Series GT,the X5 and X6 makes.
It`s the same as it is with Porsche,...the Cayenne is not a traditional Porsche,but it brought in a lot of money.

I wrote my point from a enthusiasts pov,not from a business analysts pov

Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Protein is on a distinguished road
Very dissapointing to say the least.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 PM
epbrown01 is on a distinguished road
Take these claims with a grain of salt - BMW always says there won't be a Z-whatever M. They said the same thing about the Z3 and previous Z4. The truth is they don't want buyers waiting 3 years for the Z4M while the standard car sits on lots.

Besdes, the business case for the Z*Ms has always been the same. Five years after the M3 is launched, sales will have slowed, so they've got the extra M3 engine-building capacity and not enough M3s to use them. The Z is always based on the 3-series chassis, so you can swap all the hardware over easily and create a new model for next to nothing and generate excitement and fresh ink.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by epbrown01
Take these claims with a grain of salt - BMW always says there won't be a Z-whatever M. They said the same thing about the Z3 and previous Z4. The truth is they don't want buyers waiting 3 years for the Z4M while the standard car sits on lots.

Besdes, the business case for the Z*Ms has always been the same. Five years after the M3 is launched, sales will have slowed, so they've got the extra M3 engine-building capacity and not enough M3s to use them. The Z is always based on the 3-series chassis, so you can swap all the hardware over easily and create a new model for next to nothing and generate excitement and fresh ink.
I agree completely. When the current Z4 came out, BMW ADAMANTLY denied any chance of a M version. A few years passes and we not only get an M version but an M coupe too.

I'd be happy with something with an M tuned suspension since you can tune the hell out of an N54 pretty easily.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
BMW 507 looks, plus a high rpm V8....too bad its so heavy but still...an oversteer king in the making

Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by epbrown01

that's very true. new z4 looks good but i think m version is going to be stunning. i miss my z4m..

Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM
you know what?
yesterday we had the official Z4 premiere in Munich and the new Z4s could be seen driving around without any camouflage except on the BMW badge for weeks now,but 2 days ago I saw a Z4 driving in full camouflage...
so obviously there`s still something to hide

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: --BMW has confirmed that it has canceled the Z4 M--