BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BMW E46 M3 or Audi B6 S4 For First Car ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Lamborghini12 is infamous around these parts
i say m3 all the way man.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Vantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud ofVantage_6 has much to be proud of
The E46 M3 has a limited slip differential so with a set of winter tires you can expect pretty decent performance. Maybe not as solid/tank-like as a Quattro equipped audi with winters but still quite good.

Make the decision after a test drive! (And of course availability of the 'car you really want at the time of purchase)

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
another to consider is if this car is going to be purely a daily driver/fun car or is this just a fun car? because your on the east coast winter's are more of an issue i didn't see that when i posted from my phone earlier. with those winter's in mind and daily driving duties i'd suggest the s4 but if this is still purely a fun car then m3 no questions

Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 AM
c m3 fly is on a distinguished road
The M3 was my first car, I drove numerous S4 and M3. You can clearly see where I ended up. Then again, my car doesn't leave the garage in the winter.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mcr_driver
another to consider is if this car is going to be purely a daily driver/fun car or is this just a fun car? because your on the east coast winter's are more of an issue i didn't see that when i posted from my phone earlier. with those winter's in mind and daily driving duties i'd suggest the s4 but if this is still purely a fun car then m3 no questions
Well currently I have an 86' SVO Mustang that my brother left me after he passed, but the thing has a totally rebuilt engine so I dont think I'll be using that until I get some driving experience.. Unless I use that for a fun car I would be looking for an everyday driver. But I dont think that I'll be using that car so I'd like a car that would be good for driving in the rain and snow, and still be able to track on the weekends.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 AM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Sercan
Thanks for all the input.. I guess E46 M3 it is, does anyone have a suggestion on which year I should look into or any problems I should be aware of.
In general, '03.5 are more desirable with the LED's etc... Nothing wrong with buying '01+ M3 as long as you check that the rod bearing recall was performed. Also, stay away from SMG as 6 speed will be more reliable outta warranty. Other than that check inspections I & II (depends on mileage) and you're set. Also, it's ///M car so budget little extra for maintenance.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
I say M3 all the way I bought a 25th Anniversary S4 and traded in a 545i for it I hated it by the end of the first day car drove like **** and drank gas like it was free. Even my 545i Handled much better then that car. But the build quality was nice and it was a nice LOOKING car especially with all the Carbon bits. In the end I got my 545i back especially since the S4 didn't want to start on multiple occasions.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Efterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these parts
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 AM
...GRAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sercan
How much do you think a B7 S4 will run in about 2 years ?
2 years man! damn... Already have It all planed out huh?

Sounds a little familiar

The M was my first car, got it when I was 15 after I got my permit. I've almost had it for 2 years, living in a very busy city and have had no accidents or close calls for that matter.
I have NEVER felt overwhelmed with power, I mean 333 crack hp isn't huge power and with the low tq numbers, Its very manageable WITH DSC ON. Things change when you decided to switch it off. As long as you respect the car, remember it is a RWD car with a good amount power, and don't drive like a nut you should be fine.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ...GRAM
2 years man! damn... Already have It all planed out huh?

Sounds a little familiar

The M was my first car, got it when I was 15 after I got my permit. I've almost had it for 2 years, living in a very busy city and have had no accidents or close calls for that matter.
I have NEVER felt overwhelmed with power, I mean 333 crack hp isn't huge power and with the low tq numbers, Its very manageable WITH DSC ON. Things change when you decided to switch it off. As long as you respect the car, remember it is a RWD car with a good amount power, and don't drive like a nut you should be fine.
Yup, Loved cars ever since I was 4, and now I'm only a few years away from driving, I'm looking into my first car. And from all the comments and the video I'm starting to lean back over to the M3, but I'm still not sure.