BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BMW 535 Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
tsmithmdtx is an unknown quantity at this point
BMW 535 Problem

I ordered a 2008 535 that I have had for about 18 months. During this time it has had 4 high pressure fuel pumps (the original plus 3 replacements!). I have been patient up till this point but now feel that something has to be done about this car that apparently cant be fixed.

Through my dealer and BMW NA I have been offered to have the car bought back through BMW if I purchase another BMW (which they will make me a "deal" on)

If I had my choice I would rather not buy another BMW but if it is the only way to get out of this car I will consider it.

Anyone have any similar experience with BMW and buying cars back, etc????

By my research this car qualifies as a lemon under Texas law. Should I pursue the legal route????

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
A quick thanks and update to my problems.

First of all thanks to ALPINE6SPD for the information and advice.

Second, BMW NA bought back my car today without having to buy another BMW and also cut me a check for my original down payment on the car. Overall a very quick and painless process. I guess they realized there really was a major problem with the car. I was always very nice but firm at my dealer and maybe this paid off.

I hope no one else has these issues but if you do just remember there is a solution.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
why didn't you just get a sweet deal on a new M3?

-just sayin

Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i've heard a lot of people complaining about fuel pumps on both 335s and 535s. i'm glad you had such a quick and painless resolution.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tsmithmdtx
A quick thanks and update to my problems.

Second, BMW NA bought back my car today without having to buy another BMW and also cut me a check for my original down payment on the car. Overall a very quick and painless process. I guess they realized there really was a major problem with the car. I was always very nice but firm at my dealer and maybe this paid off.

I hope no one else has these issues but if you do just remember there is a solution.
I am glad you got it worked out. If your nice to the dealership yet firm on what you want it usually works out. If you need anything else let me know and I will be glad to help. I am jsut happy you got this all worked out and can move on to better things.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by UMADBRO
why didn't you just get a sweet deal on a new M3?

-just sayin
I was given that option from BMW first but after some consideration i chose not to get another BMW right now. This experience has made me somewhat leary of BMW although I realize this was a relatively isolated problem. I will likely get back with BMW in the future. For now I have my eyes on a 911 S Cab-hopefully pics soon.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Now you're talking.........love me some S cab P-car

-just sayin

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Devin1205 is on a distinguished road
That sucks to hear your problems with your 535. I'm a BMW dealer tech and I can't tell you how many HPP's we replace and its getting a little out of hand. They still haven't came out with a updated pump but i'm sure one is in the works. Other than this problem those have been really good cars to us and are great to drive.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
m3bs is on a distinguished road
I guess I should consider myself lucky. 11K miles on my 135i with no problems. I wonder if they've even figured out what is killing the fuel pumps?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
bmwfan996rookie is on a distinguished road
I loved the feel behind the wheel of both 335i and 535i, i love these both cars, but maybe someone could clarify which year production or serial no cars have this problem? All of them have this issue?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
As far as I know, any model with that engine is susceptible. I don't think BMW has really solved it yet. Some folks have replaced the HP fuel pump multiple times. Others, like me, haven't had the problem.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
bmwfan996rookie is on a distinguished road
Any aftermarket options available?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Not yet. Since BMW has extended the warranty on the pumps to 100K miles, there's not much demand for an aftermarket part.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
MCars is on a distinguished road
Problem Solved...??

Seems the fix is to no longer offer the TT N54 motor but go with the N55 single turbo....at least you got yourself out of the car w/out going the Lemon Law route.
I had a similar issue w/my E92M3....SES light kept coming on continually...they kept throwing parts at the car...1st one thing...then another...and another etc....car was in their possession for a total of just over 30 days...PUMA case was opened etc.
What did they do to make a repeat customer happy(10 BMW's since 1989)..after back and forth emails...and 3 months...they sent me a check for $1000.....
I commend you on your choice of replacement...P-Car!!
I am also in the market for a 996 GT3 to replace the M3.
Best of Luck

Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Nalid99 is on a distinguished road
Hi. I am having lots of problems with our 2008 535i, it has been in shop 9 times

Hi
We are having lots of problems with our 2008 535i.
It has been in shop 9 times to fix engine malfunction reduced power problems

Now we are afraid to drive it long distances.

Do you think we can get BMW na to take it back
We do not want to buy another BMW

How can we go about talking to our dealer and to BMW
Our dealer keeps saying sorry but now we have had enough

Thank you very much for your help

Viran Nana. 817-308-1780 cell

Originally Posted by tsmithmdtx
A quick thanks and update to my problems

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW 535 Problem