BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Is it me or Do Porsche & BMW go hand in hand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Is it me or Do Porsche & BMW go hand in hand?

Coming from a E60 530i to a Porsche and being on this forum, i've noticed many "Drivers" who drive either Porsche or BMW seem to be big fans of Both..i sold my 530i and use the 911 as a daily driver, but now i'm feeling i want to get an older E39 2000-2002 540i or M5 as a daily driver & put less miles on the porsche plus still enjoy a "Driving" experience with a daily E39...seems to me BMW & Porsche go hand in hand...both "Drivers" cars...did this post make sense? lol...Below was my 530i i sold when i got the porsche!

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Sure there is mutual love. Why? They are both focused machines. One is directed at driving, the other driving and carrying the baggage of life.

I think most Porsche folks respect BMW because they have always demanded an element of "performance over luxury" (opposite of the traditional Mercedes approach).

That being said, people buying Porsche could have likely bought a BMW and didn't. So why did beemer drivers not get Porsche's? Likely cheaper to acquire, arguably better daily drivers, more "space" for personal needs, free maintenance, etc.

That being said I have become less and less a fan of BMW, especially with the onslaught bastardization of the brand (Bangle, iDrive, 5 Series Aztek, oops "GT"), and now M (X5M, X6M, turbos, non-bespoke engines), the rental-grade boy-racer 1M. In my eyes, BMW is dying.

My logical side absolutely appreciates and respects the performance cred at BMW. However someone at BMW is killing that side.

The older M cars are brilliant.

Last edited by KK Moto; 04-18-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 AM
AL///Mpower is on a distinguished road
^^well said KK .. i agree

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
wileoutz is on a distinguished road
e30 m3 is an absolute beauty to my eyes. wasnt even born yet. All i have to say now cars are looking to curvy and out of shape. for some reason the 2011 5series has the appeal of a 2011 toyota avalon

Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
It's a natural progression, both are drivers cars. You start with a BMW, then work your way up to a Porsche. Although 6speed on BMW's are getting rarer by the minute.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Sure there is mutual love. Why? They are both focused machines. One is directed at driving, the other driving and carrying the baggage of life.

That being said I have become less and less a fan of BMW, especially with the onslaught bastardization of the brand (Bangle, iDrive, 5 Series Aztek, oops "GT"), and now M (X5M, X6M, turbos, non-bespoke engines), the rental-grade boy-racer 1M. In my eyes, BMW is dying.

The older M cars are brilliant.
My thoughts, exactly. rep pt for you!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ynot
It's a natural progression, both are drivers cars. You start with a BMW, then work your way up to a Porsche. Although 6speed on BMW's are getting rarer by the minute.
well stated.

You can prolly add Honda to the list of progression..

Quite a few (including myself) went from Honda (vtec) to BMW to Porsche...

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
If BMW kills the manual trans it would be a shame...PDK SMG all that stuff can't & wont ever be the same as a manual no matter what anyone tries to do or say!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tarek307
If BMW kills the manual trans it would be a shame...PDK SMG all that stuff can't & wont ever be the same as a manual no matter what anyone tries to do or say!
+100, that is why I liked Porsches, some models only comes in manuals. I went to a local BMW dealer to check out the new Z4 and to my disappointment every one of them were automatics except the base model. And to add insult to injury, the top of the line model (35is) comes in DCT only. Honestly I rather have 100% control and enjoyment over .3 seconds faster to 60mph.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
+100, that is why I liked Porsches, some models only comes in manuals. I went to a local BMW dealer to check out the new Z4 and to my disappointment every one of them were automatics except the base model. And to add insult to injury, the top of the line model (35is) comes in DCT only. Honestly I rather have 100% control and enjoyment over .3 seconds faster to 60mph.
I'm sorry but you misspoke. It is not the 35is. It is the....

BMW Z4 Efficient Dynamics S-Drive 35is

This is another failing and proof that BMW has been taken over by cyborg accountants and marketing hacks.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
ddigangi is on a distinguished road
hmmm i could have swore i posted in this thread yesterday but i guess it didn't go through...

what i believe i said was that i agree with the thought that BMW and Porsche go hand and hand in a certain sense, someone mentioned above that they are focused machines, and they truly are, while there focuses may vary the cars still give owners specific tastes that you dont find in other cars

one big thing that differentiates as mentioned above also is that Porsche does strike a much higher bank roll, the highest sport bmw (m6 which msrp's at about $110k) hits on the some of the lower pricing for the porsche performance models

Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
chuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura about
My thinking exactly.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
john2plus8 is on a distinguished road
Porsche is doing a great job in keep manuals comparing to BMW

Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
dvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to behold
I had an e92, and now i'm driving a cayman. Both are drivers cars as posted above and both give a great driving experience.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM
turbo_banker is on a distinguished road
Yes I would certainly agree, the first proper performance car I had was an E92 M3 (6MT) and since then I moved to a 911 turbo (6MT!) and I have nothing but good memories of my time with the M3 and the 911t was certainly the logical next step.

What made the BMW M3 so much more special to me than the likes of Mercs or going for an Audi S5 or even RS5 (which I tested before the 911tt) was that the BMW despite being very practical and having loads of room is still a great drivers car, you have a real feel of the road, I have never felt that much control mid-drift in any other car, you can manouver it like its on a turntable! - the others just felt like comfortable cabins attached to fast engines, I found them very boring.

That being the case you probably would chose the M3 over the others as you want a 'drivers' car and excitement as opposed to more of a 'posing-mobile' (enter the white RS5s and E-class coupe brigade!). As such when it comes time to move on, the ultimate drivers cars (i.e. a 911!) is the logical step, whereas if you wanted more of a flashy/poser car you might look toward a R8, aston, lambo, etc as opposed to a 911 turbo, gt2, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it me or Do Porsche & BMW go hand in hand?