BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Inspection II completed and now a concern..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Bmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant future
Inspection II completed and now a concern..

Well I had my inspection II today wich included the following:

-Valve adjusment
-Sparkplug replacement
-Diff. oil flush and refill with Lt2 Fm booster
-Transmission flush and refill
-Valve cover gasket replace
I also had my new drilled rotors and pads installed.

After the inspection my mechanic told me there was an oil leak.

I have noticed 1-2 drops underneath my car every morning, so it was a concern, but never took it too seriously.

He tells me it is an oil leak from my head gasket and needs to be replaced. He told me its not a huge leak but should be replaced at most 6,000-10,000 miles.

Being that my car is out of warrenty, I post to ask anyone who knows if the 6 yr./100k mile warrenty would cover this. The reason I think it may is because the warrenty covers anything that touches oil, and the head gasket fills that description.

Im hoping to find any information regarding this and any help is very appreciated.

Justin

Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
You got a very good looking M3!
I'm sorry I can't help you...but generally dealers are not so good with warranties

Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
BTW at what miles this inspection 2 needs to be done?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Bmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by acs-3
BTW at what miles this inspection 2 needs to be done?
Generally 40k-60k.

I have 40k and just got it done.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bmw M3 Guy
Generally 40k-60k.
OK, still a long way for me then...thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 03:29 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Justin,
A simple call to the warranty company would get you a pretty good answer.
It probably would be covered. The warranty you have is it thru BMW as a certified pre owned kind? If so I am suprised that the tech/service writer didnt already see if it can be approved. Even if its a 3rd party warranty the dealer would be the one calling with the claim and not the owner.

Bajo

Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
SpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to allSpeedAddict is a name known to all
Re: Oil Leak

Just my.02 but I doubt your head gasket is leaking oil. Did your car start leaking after the inspection II was done? If so, it is more than likely the valve cover gasket that is leaking. If this is the case then the mechanic did not change the valve cover gasket and/or re-seal it properly when he adjusted the valve's for the Inspection II service. Make them fix it!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM
windnsea00 is on a distinguished road
If your head gaset was leaking you would be burning coolant, which is far worse. The oil leak would more than likely be from an oil pan gasket, rear main seal, or timing chain cover gasket. If you have CPO (6yr/100k) then that would be covered.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by windnsea00
If your head gaset was leaking you would be burning coolant, which is far worse.
Not always. All depends which part of the head gasket failed. As head gaskets have different ports that flow coolant and oil separately.
And while the coolant mixing with the oil is more common.

Justin, did you notice the leak AFTER they performed the Inspection II work?
If so I would have them double check as someone said earlier that it could be something else and not the head gasket leaking.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict
Just my.02 but I doubt your head gasket is leaking oil. Did your car start leaking after the inspection II was done? If so, it is more than likely the valve cover gasket that is leaking. If this is the case then the mechanic did not change the valve cover gasket and/or re-seal it properly when he adjusted the valve's for the Inspection II service. Make them fix it!
Sorry I was not clear before.

He replaced the vavle cover gasket and it was leaking before..

I brought the car in for Insp. II aware of the oil leak.

All he did was tell me where the oil was leaking from. He showed me that the oil was leaking from the head gasket, but I can check everything that was mentioned above.