BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Adismo is on a distinguished road
the dealer here offered to provide at ECU flash for 500 bucks for the HP and TQ increase, compared to 1k+ retail, if i buy the car

Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Spencer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sechsgang
The M3 is among the most "mature" sports car and the most "infantile". I believe it really takes having one and getting rid of it to realize what that car really offers. At first, the "power" of the M3 wears off and you dont know what you are doing in a car that feels slow and needs to be revved above 5.5k for any meaningful power. Thats about when you sell it. However, a year or so after, you realize that that is really heaven on earth and the degree in which you can throw around a car with those dynamics is really quite amazing...

I know I missed my car...and its why I got the z4m C
Bit OT, but can you comment on the E46 M3 vs. Z4m Coupe?? Looking at your avatar, i'm assuming you've tracked both?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
the 335 is a nice car, but its nowhere near as agressive and mean looking like the bulldog stance of the m3. its quick but it is softer and has more understeer and body roll and is a bit on the heavy side for me. (all of which can be fixed with $$$).

as you can see from my sig, my m3 is modded to the hills short of FI and i love every minute with it. but then again, i have 25K worth of parts and labor into my m3, so its def not cheap. i havnt seen a 335 around here that can keep up with me from any speed yet.

you need to think of a few things. what do you want the car to do? are you gonna track it? street use mostly? do you like a high revving engine? or do you like more tq?

with the chip and tuning of the 335, you also have to think about the warranty and the reliability.

to be honest, for a twin turbo car, and being able to spen 50K, stetch your budget a little bit and buy the ultimate twin turbo car, a 996TT, and then just a chip will give you over 500 hp.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
If you are looking at an 05-06 Comp. M3 coupe that is priced @ $50K, I would take the 335i.

I am looking for an 04 in the mid-high $30Ks. For me, I not only love the M more, but it saves money. If they were the same price, I might opt for the 335i.

The M is used no matter what. I'd find a cheaper one with low miles. They are nearly unchanged after 03.5 (few upgrades) aside from ZHP.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Spencer
Bit OT, but can you comment on the E46 M3 vs. Z4m Coupe?? Looking at your avatar, i'm assuming you've tracked both?
In short, the M3 is an easier machine to drive by a LONG shot...it comes out very predicably and under provocation. When it comes out however, it has some definite swing to it and though easy to catch, it MUST be caught fairly quickely to control the car. The car is heavier than the z4m and thus requires a BIT more smoothness to get the car around the track...in the end, I would say smooth is the way to go with teh M3...the z4 on the other hand, LOVES to be manhandled...plain and simple...the thing holds slides amazingly and is really a glutten for punishment...it is one of a VERY few cars where it is TRUELY WAYYY more fun to go to a track event and be a hooligan on every corner...just slipping and sliding about...I know if I did that with my Pcar...it would tank slap into some random wall...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 PM
jay_ftw will become famous soon enough
Although I've never driven a 335i, I've ridden in a stock one and I don't think it is any quicker than my M3. I won't argue that equal money in mods will make the 335i much quicker...

However I'd be very careful about modding a 335i- I think BMW will be looking very closely to the modifications done and wouldn't be surprised if they started voiding warranties...

Also, I've heard about the 335i's overheating...? Any truth to that?

More food for thought- stock for stock on the track, good bye 335i- M3 FTW!

Again I'm very biased, I absolutely love my car.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
335!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Less than $3k in upgrades get you over 400HP!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by evsmotors
335!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Less than $3k in upgrades get you over 400HP!
lol I think I could live with that.

What all do you think would have to be installed in order to achieve 400+hp?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
It consists of ECU Tuning (+2psi of boost, and fuel/air tuning) and catback exhaust only. You gain approx 55-60rwhp and 70-80lbs-tq.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by evsmotors
It consists of ECU Tuning (+2psi of boost, and fuel/air tuning) and catback exhaust only. You gain approx 55-60rwhp and 70-80lbs-tq.
yes, but then, you REALLY should spend 2k on a LSD...you will be seconds faster on the track with the same HP...

(or you could spend 4k and get a 400 hp car with LSD...which is needless to say...bad ***)

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
showsayin is on a distinguished road
If you like to go to the tracks frequently then pick the e46.
If you want an all around daily-driver faster car then pick e92.
Also Pick the newer model as the resale is going to go down for the old, do to the e92 M3 comin out in 5 months.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Thanks for everyone's responses so far! It has definitely helped me out a lot.

I think I am becoming more fixated on the 335i each passing day. I can't seem to turn down the modding capabilities of this car. It definitely intrigues me.

I wouldn't be tracking it (most likely) and may bring it to the drag strip a handful of times but that's about it. Having no LSD kind of pisses me off though especially when I am to start modding the 335i and start pushing out higher horsepower numbers.

BMW apparently offers the 335i in AWD as well. Can anyone confirm this for me or have any personal insight on this?

It's roughly 2,000 dollars more but may most definitely be worth it when you start modding the car more. It will be a bit more bulkier than a RWD 335i but may make up for it with well, AWD! I'm not really sure how much an LSD would cost and would probably just be something I wish the 335i had right from the get go.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? I am concerned as to how the 335 would handle the higher hp/tq numbers without the LSD.

I am looking for a quick car with the comforts. I think coilovers would suit the 335 well though. I love the interior/look/build of the 335 and with the tune it will happily fit my speed criteria as well.

Last edited by Chris G; 09-26-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
Thanks for everyone's responses so far! It has definitely helped me out a lot.

I think I am becoming more fixated on the 335i each passing day. I can't seem to turn down the modding capabilities of this car. It definitely intrigues me.

I wouldn't be tracking it (most likely) and may bring it to the drag strip a handful of times but that's about it. Having no LSD kind of pisses me off though especially when I am to start modding the 335i and start pushing out higher horsepower numbers.

BMW apparently offers the 335i in AWD as well. Can anyone confirm this for me or have any personal insight on this?

It's roughly 2,000 dollars more but may most definitely be worth it when you start modding the car more. It will be a bit more bulkier than a RWD 335i but may make up for it with well, AWD! I'm not really sure how much an LSD would cost and would probably just be something I wish the 335i had right from the get go.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? I am concerned as to how the 335 would handle the higher hp/tq numbers without the LSD.

I am looking for a quick car with the comforts. I think coilovers would suit the 335 well though. I love the interior/look/build of the 335 and with the tune it will happily fit my speed criteria as well.

The cost is 2k from turnermotorsports...and its not about the hp(which isnt affected) the idea is that now, all the power is put to 2 wheels

twice as efficient!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:15 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
a buddy with a chip 335i dynod his car and was doing 330 at the wheels...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
The cost is 2k from turnermotorsports...and its not about the hp(which isnt affected) the idea is that now, all the power is put to 2 wheels

twice as efficient!!!!
Makes sense to me. Thanks for your response. I am curious as to how much installation would cost for something like a LSD.

My bare bone base Z currently has no LSD. It makes for some squiggly and fun to look at tire marks when I launch! One tire fire!

If I bought an LSD for the 335 then I would definitely have no regret purchasing it. That is the only thing that upsets me that the M3 has that the 335 doesn't. Take that factor away and I will be a very happy man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?