BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Talking What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

So I am in a bit of a situation (not a bad one by any means!). I'm just not really sure what car to decide upon. I have been infatuated with the E46 M3 for years now and my shrine in my room thoroughly depicts that! I am in the works of looking into a new car in the near future and am a bit torn. I bought my 350z a little over a year ago as it was a feasibly priced car for me. I have racked up 20,000+ miles on her already and still enjoy driving it as much as ever (aside from the clutch being a picky and clunky piece of junk). My father and I had been looking into a few various cars as of late and have tumbled upon everything from an 05' Carrera to 335i's to M3's. The Carrera would have been fantastic and is a beautiful car but not really in my price range by any means unless it seems to be heavily used. I know many of you may believe having a high end car at such a young age may be asinine but that is foolish under the right circumstances and irrelevant to the topic on hand. I would like to hear some opinions on the ups and downs of owning either the E46 M3 or 335i. I'm not tremendously familiar with the 335i other than I know it seems to have a lot of potential but the M3 has always been a car of love for me.

I would just like to hear some opinions.

I don't have much that I am looking for in the Bimmer aside from an interior that isn't so damn bland. The Competition package on the M3 is fantastic but it seems like BMW hasn't updated their interiors ever. Luckily I will be transplanting my Pioneer Avic-N3 headunit into the new car. Is it really that difficult to find a leather interior for BMW other than gray and black? I have no problem being patient but I just haven't seen anything that really stands out on any of the cars I've viewed in person or online. Porsche interior 1 BMW 0.

I haven't done much research on the 335i yet but am even interested how they compare driving/speed wise? I could only imagine the help a tune would give a 335i with its stock setup.

All opinions on either car are appreciated!

Last edited by Chris G; 10-09-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Russkiy_M3 is on a distinguished road
e46 M3 will be outdated in just a few months here in the United States when the e92 rolls through.

335i is a very nice car, with proper tuning it will eat e46 m3's all day and all night.

Considering the e92 will be here soon, I suggest you go for a 335i or a e92 m3. Don't get something outdated and slower.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Spencer is on a distinguished road
Step one: Drive both

Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Russkiy_M3
e46 M3 will be outdated in just a few months here in the United States when the e92 rolls through.

335i is a very nice car, with proper tuning it will eat e46 m3's all day and all night.

Considering the e92 will be here soon, I suggest you go for a 335i or a e92 m3. Don't get something outdated and slower.
Thank you a bunch. To be honest, I had not even really considered the E92. I am not sure how the pricing will be on those though. I can only hope they won't come out to something extraordinarily ridiculous. I just did a "Build a BMW" on their official website and came up with a 335i for $42,000. Still cheaper and probably even faster than the E46 M3. Thanks again!

Keep the opinions coming

Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Spencer
Step one: Drive both
Definitely I am in the works of signing up on BMW's website for a 335i test drive here at the local Bimmer dealership.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Russkiy_M3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
Thank you a bunch. To be honest, I had not even really considered the E92. I am not sure how the pricing will be on those though. I can only hope they won't come out to something extraordinarily ridiculous. I just did a "Build a BMW" on their official website and came up with a 335i for $42,000. Still cheaper and probably even faster than the E46 M3. Thanks again!

Keep the opinions coming
E92's will be in the 60k-70k range when they first arrive to the States.

410HP V8...Simply amazing.

335i is a good choice. On the other hand, an M is an M. Nothing can compare.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Russkiy_M3
E92's will be in the 60k-70k range when they first arrive to the States.

410HP V8...Simply amazing.

335i is a good choice. On the other hand, an M is an M. Nothing can compare.
That's the truth. There really isn't any way I could justify nor have the means of buying a 70,000$ car. I was hoping they would be a bit cheaper even the bare minimal base models but apparently I was way off. :P I was optimistic at least!

Time to look up at Active Autowerks in Miami and see how they are doing with 335i's! They're only a hop across Alligator Alley for me here in Naples.

I'm hoping there are a few 335i owners on 6speed that would have some advice/opinions and hopefully some mods to go along. I would be interested to hear how the 335i handles them.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I just answered my own question:

Holy baby jesus, this alone may have me sold on the 335i.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/e92335/main.php

Hopefully this thread is helpful to others as well!

As the page says, +85 hp and +85 tq all with a reflash/tune. That is ridiculous.

Very quick car and all the luxury you would expect from a Bimmer. I think I am sold.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
if i didn't mind finding good used cars, i would get E46 M3 over 335i anyday.
however, i never had/heard good exp with used cars so i am against it.
i will order 335i this spring probably.
get e46 m3!

[edit]regardless of what the numbers are.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
M3. It isn't always about the power!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Enilder
if i didn't mind finding good used cars, i would get E46 M3 over 335i anyday.
however, i never had/heard good exp with used cars so i am against it.
i will order 335i this spring probably.
get e46 m3!

[edit]regardless of what the numbers are.
lol The E46 is a fantastic car if you can find a nicely used and optioned one that fits your criteria; I have had no such luck.

When all is said and done it may actually be utterly foolish for me to spend $10,000 more for a USED car when I can buy a new 335i optioned out as I like for cheaper.

As for performance, I am still young and enjoy my performance as much as the next guy I know that with an M3 you are essentially stuck with your performance unless you start shelling out a lot of money. The 335i - twin turbo - it opens up an entirely new world.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
JCC296 is on a distinguished road
I had E46 M3 years ago. Great car, but go for the 335i coz it's newer.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Same dilemma here. I am canceling my E92 order for the M.

If you are just now figuring out about the tuning possibilities behind the 335i, you have a lot more research ahead of you.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by WyattH
Same dilemma here. I am canceling my E92 order for the M.

If you are just now figuring out about the tuning possibilities behind the 335i, you have a lot more research ahead of you.
Hopefully there is a lot more positive information behind this. Please enlighten me? I'd be lying if I said your post didn't bring a smile to my face. I am only dreaming up the possibilities of what this car is truly capable of!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Coming from an E46 M3 I say take the 335 and Mod it.No comparison if done correctly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?