BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sechsgang
I hate generalizing like this...but If you dont find the love in you for that motor (notice i only said motor...), then you may concider getting into other aspects of auto enthusiasm...haha...its seriously a divine entity!
drew, are you talking to me or the OP?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
I hate generalizing like this...but If you dont find the love in you for that motor (notice i only said motor...), then you may concider getting into other aspects of auto enthusiasm...haha...its seriously a divine entity!
Another S54 lover here. Seriously, I cannot believe they are done with it. If I were a head of BMW, I would have researched a bit and increase displacement (3.6L like Porsches), lighter block and more lighter internals with rev line at 8500 like the new one. I also noticed a lot of people misunderstood on how good that engine is.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by datax
Another S54 lover here. Seriously, I cannot believe they are done with it. If I were a head of BMW, I would have researched a bit and increase displacement (3.6L like Porsches), lighter block and more lighter internals with rev line at 8500 like the new one. I also noticed a lot of people misunderstood on how good that engine is.
isnt it cheaper for them to make V8 than making S54 lighter and more powerful? i think that's what makes CSL.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
drew, are you talking to me or the OP?
people who are enthusiastic about cars in general...haha

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Enilder
isnt it cheaper for them to make V8 than making S54 lighter and more powerful? i think that's what makes CSL.
but the whole car got more expensive anyway...why not just put more into that FABULOUS engine...

And I say work it to 9k...make the M3 a TRUE gt3 fighter!

(I would still take the 3 but still...haha...it would be sweeet!)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
but the whole car got more expensive anyway...why not just put more into that FABULOUS engine...

it would have been nice for them to work the I6 more...i mean come on, Porsche has been consistently the benchmark of sports cars and still is to this day and have used the flat 6 all 40+ years and hasnt hit an end, yet the m3 in production only 20+ years has already gone to the v8.
while Porsche def builds a better engine, bmw could have done a lot better in my mind. i like the i6 and wish it didnt leave the m3.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute

well i am guessing that if they actually lightned the engine with higher limit, power, torque and so forth, price would be a lot expensive than what the actualy price is right now. (how much is base...55k?)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
it would have been nice for them to work the I6 more...i mean come on, Porsche has been consistently the benchmark of sports cars and still is to this day and have used the flat 6 all 40+ years and hasnt hit an end, yet the m3 in production only 20+ years has already gone to the v8.
while Porsche def builds a better engine, bmw could have done a lot better in my mind. i like the i6 and wish it didnt leave the m3.
i totally agree. I6 was what got me into BMW M3 and I was hoping that they put better I6 engine in E92 M3 but i guess they ran out of budget(?)

Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of

Drop this into your Z4M to make it a TRUE GT3 Fighter.

3.4L S54. 435hp @ 8000rpm. I can't even imagine how powerful it can get if there's an S54 with 3.6L.

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bi...pl?item_id=391

Here's one in action against Porsche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbsmes6APE

Straight six Bimmers FTW! After all it's the design they started back in WWII inside fighter planes. Too bad they lost interest and ending it. Okay...new V8 is cleaner, more environmentally friendly and more economical...who cares!! Especially you are driving next to 7.0L Chevy Z06 and 8.5L Viper...

Last edited by datax; 09-27-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by datax
Drop this into your Z4M to make it a TRUE GT3 Fighter.

3.4L S54. 435hp @ 8000rpm. I can't even imagine how powerful it can get if there's an S54 with 3.6L.

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bi...pl?item_id=391

Here's one in action against Porsche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbsmes6APE

Straight six Bimmers FTW! After all it's the design they started back in WWII inside fighter planes. Too bad they lost interest and ending it. Okay...new V8 is cleaner, more environmentally friendly and more economical...who cares!! Especially you are driving next to 7.0L Chevy Z06 and 8.5L Viper...
is vacmotorsports known for building motors?
pretty sick!
i wonder how much it cost.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I'd get the ZCP also, the 335i looks too bland for me. I'd need aerobits, wheels, coilovers, exhaust, BBK and the chip before I'd be happy = 10-15K

Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
I'd get the ZCP also, the 335i looks too bland for me. I'd need aerobits, wheels, coilovers, exhaust, BBK and the chip before I'd be happy = 10-15K

Exactly how I feel.
Stock for stock, the M3 is superior in every way.

To make the 335i "acceptable", I would need some nice wheels, KW V2, AA Exede/Exhaust, Aero kit, etc etc...
And even then it's fast, but lacks soul and passion.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by WyattH
Exactly how I feel.
Stock for stock, the M3 is superior in every way.

To make the 335i "acceptable", I would need some nice wheels, KW V2, AA Exede/Exhaust, Aero kit, etc etc...
And even then it's fast, but lacks soul and passion.
the m3 has the soul and the passion that the new m3 *to me* doesnt. its the last of the 'hardcore' M cars. everyone will continue to get softer an softer.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Test drove a 04' E46 M3 today and was rather disappointed. From many of your people's comments on here the engine actually reminds me quite frankly identical to my 350z's and that thoroughly disappointed me. Like some had mentioned you have to really be up around 5000k+ to even get the car to start boogeying. I should have assumed the 33hp difference vs my car (300hp + CAI) wouldn't have been that noticeable and it isn't.

I liked the feel of driving it and love the design/aesthetic appeal of an M3 over a 335i any day of the year but I want power. That is solely the reasoning behind why I am getting rid of my 350z in the first place; I became jaded to its power. I am not aware of any real mods that can be done to an M3 that really make a definite difference without dropping a minimum of $7500 for a supercharger from Active Autowerks for me here locally. (when on sale) It doesn't realistically make a whole lot of sense to me and I truly think I will become bored extraordinarily quick as I am not a track person yet and will really never get to enjoy its full potential outside of the streets.

The 335i wasn't available for test drive since the only car on the lot has been sold for months. Luckily a 335i is coming in here in a week and the previous person canceled order so it will be my test drive car!

I expect the stock form of the 335i to be about as fast as the M3 and have the low end grunt/torque I am seeking. I wish I could combine the looks of the M3 and the engine of the 335i into one car! I will most likely end up special ordering a 335i and completely splurge on everything I want and receive it in approximately 2 months because they are seriously back ordered.

Many of you may disagree (which is expected on a car forum) but in the end I don't think either car would be a bad decision. If I test drive the 335i and am severely disappointed with its performance I will undoubtedly be ordering a M3 ASAP!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
Test drove a 04' E46 M3 today and was rather disappointed. From many of your people's comments on here the engine actually reminds me quite frankly identical to my 350z's and that thoroughly disappointed me. Like some had mentioned you have to really be up around 5000k+ to even get the car to start boogeying. I should have assumed the 33hp difference vs my car (300hp + CAI) wouldn't have been that noticeable and it isn't.

I liked the feel of driving it and love the design/aesthetic appeal of an M3 over a 335i any day of the year but I want power. That is solely the reasoning behind why I am getting rid of my 350z in the first place; I became jaded to its power. I am not aware of any real mods that can be done to an M3 that really make a definite difference without dropping a minimum of $7500 for a supercharger from Active Autowerks for me here locally. (when on sale) It doesn't realistically make a whole lot of sense to me and I truly think I will become bored extraordinarily quick as I am not a track person yet and will really never get to enjoy its full potential outside of the streets.

The 335i wasn't available for test drive since the only car on the lot has been sold for months. Luckily a 335i is coming in here in a week and the previous person canceled order so it will be my test drive car!

I expect the stock form of the 335i to be about as fast as the M3 and have the low end grunt/torque I am seeking. I wish I could combine the looks of the M3 and the engine of the 335i into one car! I will most likely end up special ordering a 335i and completely splurge on everything I want and receive it in approximately 2 months because they are seriously back ordered.

Many of you may disagree (which is expected on a car forum) but in the end I don't think either car would be a bad decision. If I test drive the 335i and am severely disappointed with its performance I will undoubtedly be ordering a M3 ASAP!
dude, drive an m3 with 4.10s and youll never think twice about the 335. that solves the problem right there!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to buy: E46 M3 or 335i?