Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm system recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:37 PM
embryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the rough
alarm system recommendations

can anyone recommend a good alarm system for the boxster?

i want something that will alarm when someone tries to reach in and grabs or simply when someone tries to cut into the top. thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM
noboarders is on a distinguished road
I have a 99 boxster and I thought standard equipment alarm motion sensor when the roof is up. Alarm sensor disables when the roof is down but check ebay for a clip. This clip will fool the car thinking the top is up so motion sensor will activate when its armed.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 PM
embryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the roughembryoguy is a jewel in the rough
did you get the motion sensor on ebay also?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 AM
On my car, the alarm with sensor is standard feature from Porsche. the sensor feature turns off when the roof is down.

I didnt get the aftermarket clip to fool the car alarm thinking the roof is up.

Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
awesome thanks very much

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
just tried it out and it works great!!! thanks again very much.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Did you test how sensitive the sensors are? Just wondering for example a leaf blows in the the cabin. Will that set it off or something more dense will trigger the alarm?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
i did not get a chance to check the sensitivity yet. i only swayed my arm back and fourth. i can not imagine a leaf setting it off but i will try it when it s warmer here in pa.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Gator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure if your Boxster has and ultrasonic field disturbance sensor, or a microwave (Radio) field disturbance sensor.

If it's ultrasonic, then it's not likely to work well with the top down. Ultrasonics transmit inaudible sounds and listen to their reflections, much like a bat uses ultrasonic sound to augment their vision. With the top down, there is a lot of room for the sound to escape the interior, which would result in a very low sensitivity. No problem with a leaf.

If it's a microwave FDS, the sensor will transmit radio waves and watch their reflections. In this scenario, using the sensor with the top down will result in increases sensitivity and increase false alarms. But not from a leaf. Microwave FDS react more to large items with large reflective surface areas. A leaf is small, and nearly transparent to radio waves. So you won't have any problems with them. Where you might have a problem is if a large vehicle, like a truck, were to drive by your car parked on the street. That is a large surface that will reflect a lot of the radio waves back to the sensor.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:22 AM
berty987 is on a distinguished road
The 986 boxster has an ultrasonic interior sensor, the 987 uses a microwave device. Microwave devices can be set to give a set field distance for activation , (though the porsche units are non adjustable) therefore less likely to trigger on false alarms. ~They can appear less sensitive than the ultrasonic. The glove box is also covered by a separate sensor , so its only objects in the door bins and centre armrest that are at risk from thieves. If you want additional security the I/ M538 option can be added , this includes a tilt sensor and battery backed siren. This was the upgrade I installed on my vehicle.

Last edited by berty987; 02-11-2009 at 05:27 AM.