Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix of gemballa/techart Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Rui725 is on a distinguished road
I don't think i'm able to drop it anymore, but I agree with the bigger wheels. 19's would definitely be great here. Any more lowering and this car would not be drivable. great photoshop pic though, what a big difference!

I may get the hood painted white later in the future, but for now, the black is quite distinct.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
jriggs is on a distinguished road
i think if you continued the lines of the hood threw the front bumper i think that would set off the car even more. i'll see about chopping it for you to explain what i mean.

real ruff but you get the idea, i think it could look even hotter with some little paint touches

Last edited by jriggs; 06-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Rui725 is on a distinguished road
That does look very good actually. hmmm.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM
DevySalem is on a distinguished road
good looking

I think it looks great. Yes 19" would make it nicer, but overall, it's cool. I'm not feeling the hood though. But that's just me.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:52 AM
SVE
SVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Question About Fitment

Question. How did you get the fender flares to line up with the front and rear bumpers? Typically, wide body kits require matching, extended side fender flares with wider front and rear bumpers so everything looks OEM, so to speak. However, by looking at your body kit parts, you have installed Techart style fender flares along with a pair of custom bumpers? The bumpers that go with the fender flares you have are the old aero facelift front bumper with a wider OEM looking rear bumper. The fender flares seem to line up perfectly with the side markers on your front bumper. Please let us know. Thank you in advance!

Old 09-07-2023, 02:26 AM
SVE
SVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Daggie
If it was mine, I'd get:

- bigger and wider wheels
- the hood painted white
- the 996 MK2 front lights
- drop it a lot

I had the same front bumper on my old Boxster:

But with the mods above
So, you favor this look? 😉 👇

Porsche 996 GT2 MK2 Xenon Headlights, Techart GT Street RSR bumper, Carbon Fiber Vented GTR hood, European air horns tucked behind the front bumper retainer, 4/0 gauge battery cables, etc. Runs like a champ!

Techart Fender Flares aren't on. I agree, it would look more OEM or higher quality if the fender flares were molded on. The issue with that is that making the flares permanent will block future repair to the functional side air vents. Hence, the fender flares need to be removable. I plan on selling the Techart widebody fender flares and this rear bumper, which I really like. I plan on removing the aluminum rear bumper pad blocks.

The biggest challenge with the Boxster 986 chassis isn't finding aftermarket body kit parts for the front end, especially since it shares the 996 heritage. It is the rear end, from quarter panels back. As you can see front the pictures of my Boxster, the front end now over powers the rest of the car. That's why it is imperative to find a good widebody kit for the rear end.

There are a number of options out there is you want to spend $10,000 to $30,000 on just the bodykit, which is practically a "kit car kit." The only reasonably priced widebody kit is the one on my Boxster, which is the same set on the yellow Techart show herein above my response and on RUI725's Boxster. Porsche made a huge mistake by designing the Boxster 986 with such a flat a$$.

Moreover, don't get me started with the narrow, functional rear spoiler wing (lol). That thing is embarrassing, which is why I removed mine. I took out the spoiler wing motors as well and saved weight. I know that the Germans are masters at what they do, but everyone makes mistakes. Even when installing a rear trunk mounted spoiler wing, it ends up looking like a shopping cart because the rear end is too flat. The Boxster looks great when it has a Coke bottle shape, which is only achieved with a widebody kit. And for the record, guessing what parts will work and conducting R&D like I did is not cheap! That's why we share in forums like this one. We share the wins and the loses. Always remember that those who sell us body parts won't tell us that converting a Boxster 986 into a 996 front end is not that practical, in terms of daily driving and not cracking the front bumper.

The H&R sport springs and Bilstein sport struts make it sit too low for the 996 front end. I need coilovers with air cups. Full air suspension isn't reliable IMO. My wheels are 19x8.5" in the front and 19x10.5" in the rear. The wheels help with ride height with any Boxster front bumper but it still sits too low for the 996 GT2 front end. The 996 is a shorter, taller, and wider car while the Boxster is narrow and longer, which is why the rocker panels are not interchangeable. The interchangeable parts are from the door to the front bumper and the dash and interior components.

Due to the fact that the 996 has a taller body design, and causes the front end to be so low, I pray that going with a set of coilovers helps correct the raked look and at least raises the front by a half inch, if not about 3/4 inch while keeping the suspension somewhat firm. The air-cups on coilovers will be extremely helpful for driveways and speed bumps. Again, the 911-996 sits higher. Wheel options for the 996 are 19-inch and 20-inch.

I may try to go with 20-inch wheels and see if it helps. The challenge with going with 20-inch wheels is that there isn't much room under the wheel well, and the Boxster 986 would potentially drive like crap, especially due to the extra weight and the wheel diameter. The Boxster with 20-inch wheels would require a strong motor and transmission so there is more torque.

Last edited by SVE; 09-07-2023 at 01:57 PM.