Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Cayman-S vs 09 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 AM
funbob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DRE1615
I chose the ISF over the M3 as a daily for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into. You obviously aren't going to get the most out of either car, being a garage queen and all. But with the M3 redlining at ~8400 RPM, just driving it around town you won't have any fun unless you are north of 4500-5500 RPM where the real power is in the M3. I'm not too familiar with the Cayman and gearing, power etc... But I think with the smaller body, less weight and suitable power to weight ratio, it would be much easier to have fun with, without really needing much road.

Both are great cars, but I think I'd rather have a Cayman as my garage queen over the M3.
Having test drove an M3 and a Cayman S I agree with this analysis. Around town I had to rev too high to get the M3 power.My 335i was much better for my style with it's massive low end torque. The Cayman was plenty fun too so I went with it . It works great around town and can still haul the groceries home. It has room for my golf clubs too!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
KrissrocK will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by og risker
Only needs enough room for one man and his I-pod
haha, the S is a beaut, my friend has one. But i can't sit in it w/o rubbing elbows constantly! I'd think i'd take the M...Unless u weight like 150-200lbs

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Yeah how much do you guys weight...?

I find there's more than plenty of room in the Cayman (6'2", 185-190lbs), unless of course you eat McD everyday.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
KrissrocK will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ekam
Yeah how much do you guys weight...?

I find there's more than plenty of room in the Cayman (6'2", 185-190lbs), unless of course you eat McD everyday.

aww dude, you're skinny. I think you weight the same as my friend. He may be a couple lbs lighter, but i'm 250lbs ! of course it's all muscle
Man, i couldn't tell u the last time i had McD's...it's been that long. Now, BK on the other hand...

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 PM
funbob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KrissrocK
aww dude, you're skinny. I think you weight the same as my friend. He may be a couple lbs lighter, but i'm 250lbs ! of course it's all muscle
Man, i couldn't tell u the last time i had McD's...it's been that long. Now, BK on the other hand...
I find the S pretty roomy (I'm 215) and the seats comfortable. Now a friend of mine's brother has a Lotus Elise. He and I were pretty much jammed together with how narrow and close the seats were. Getting in and out of that car was INSANE. Not exactly a daily driver.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
VEGASSPEED is on a distinguished road
I have a Dinan 335i, at least a stage 3 mod with FMIC, oil cooler, exhaust and flash. I also have added some hi flow catted DP's for an extra boost. The reason I jumped in here is I am considering getting a an 06' Cayman S for mid 30's as another car. I like my Dinan 335i but it could use handling charactistics of the M3. I haven't gone with KW V3's or Dinan stage 2 suspension yet. I am contemplating with is better. I did a dyno with my 335i and pulled 340whp/360wtq on a Mustang dyno. I like the torque and pull of the 335i compared to the M3. The M3 has to be up high on the tachometer to feel as good. What is a good price for an 06' Cayman S that is pretty loaded with options?

Sorry, for switching subjects on you.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 AM
rubber_ducky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VEGASSPEED
I have a Dinan 335i, at least a stage 3 mod with FMIC, oil cooler, exhaust and flash. I also have added some hi flow catted DP's for an extra boost. The reason I jumped in here is I am considering getting a an 06' Cayman S for mid 30's as another car. I like my Dinan 335i but it could use handling charactistics of the M3. I haven't gone with KW V3's or Dinan stage 2 suspension yet. I am contemplating with is better. I did a dyno with my 335i and pulled 340whp/360wtq on a Mustang dyno. I like the torque and pull of the 335i compared to the M3. The M3 has to be up high on the tachometer to feel as good. What is a good price for an 06' Cayman S that is pretty loaded with options?

Sorry, for switching subjects on you.
You can expect to pay mid to high 30s for a low milage 06 Cayman S. Sounds like you might want some of the sport options like PASM and sport chrono. Navigation and full leather are the other two pricier options that were available.

PM me for info on one that I'm considering selling.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 AM
boostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of light
I came from a Cayman S to an M3 and couldn't be any happier. It's my DD and a lot faster than my Cayman S was modded.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
hooligan317 is on a distinguished road
I'm actually in the process of attempting to sell (since trade in offers are crap) my 08 Cayman S to move into an M3 as we speak.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM
DaveC will become famous soon enough
If your only criteria is "fast" then the Cayman is a poor choice. The Cayman is not about stoplight drag racing or street fighting w/ the fast and furious crowd, but it is about precision handling in a true sports car package. The cabin is only cramped compared to a sedan derived coupe, but still not in Lotus territory, and the power is clearly sufficient to allow a driver to exploit the steering, braking, chasis. Except for price point, the Cayman and M3 are conceptually night and day.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
I wonder how the CS stacks up against the E46 M3????

Old 07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
VEGASSPEED is on a distinguished road
I think the CS will beat an E46 M3 in the straights or in the curves unless it is an older Porsche.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
numbcaymans is on a distinguished road
porsche cayman S 09 pdk is 0-400m & in 600m in front of a m3 E92.
the m3 shows its power after 200km/h

Old 07-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by og risker
I wonder how the CS stacks up against the E46 M3????
thats me racing 1000m from 1st gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS4cI...eature=related

and its a CSL 200kg lighter than a Stock m3 e46 and 20 hp more.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by boostedtwin
I came from a Cayman S to an M3 and couldn't be any happier. It's my DD and a lot faster than my Cayman S was modded.
my friend you didnt have the 2009 pdk cayman s .... in drag racing the difference is unbelievable from the past model....from 5-6 cars difference stock CS 05+

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 Cayman-S vs 09 M3