Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Cayman-S vs 09 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
weedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud of
I'd go with the M3 without hesitation....

Love the more power, the seats, the comfort, the back seat, the trunk, the wonderful V8.......

Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Interesting comparison but not apples and apples. M3 is a GT whereas Cayman is a sports car.

2 years ago I was shopping for a replacement for my Lotus Elise. Came down to Cayman S and Z4 M Coupe because I wanted a SPORTS CAR which to me has few compromises, is focused, low weight etc. I've owned Vipers and Z06, 993, 968, 951, NSX etc. so I have done some sampling.

This time I wanted something I could drive daily where the Lotus was too loud and boomy, had dash squeaks etc. Yet I was spoiled by the rarity of the Elise so wanted something somewhat rare. Also wanted it to feel raw, unbridled yet composed and relatively refined. I went with Z4 M because just like back in 2000 when I got a then new M Roadster... It was raw and felt like a European muscle car with great steering and brakes. The motor in the Z4 M which is the same as the E46 M3 does have good punch down low and more importantly I can easily get her sideways on an empty road or track.

Now I was aware that the mid-engined Cayman is more balanced especially having owned NSX's. But the icing on the cake for me getting the Z4 M was how rare they are. But I still think a lowered Cayman S with nice wheels is incredibly nice car!

Attached Images      
Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 PM
car4me is on a distinguished road
would take the cayman s, just looks a lot better

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 AM
erenyes is on a distinguished road
hey there, still for sale?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM
daily996 is on a distinguished road
If you need back seat, yes M3, another then that P-car all the way.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Phil3 is on a distinguished road
I test drove both, have had a Cayman S for 5 months, and now feel the M3 would have probably been a better bet for me. Note, I came from a 1998 M3 sedan.

The Cayman is a daily driver for the most part with 19" wheels. The ride on San Francisco bay area roads is marginal, it feels more threatened by preponderance of giant SUVs and big rigs around here, and I miss the four doors and good sized trunk more than I thought I would.

Driving the M3, I found the ride surprisingly good, the noise level low (the Cayman noise is fine though), the handling very good with tons of grip, and the engine more torquey down low than you would expect. Sitting up higher in the SUV laden environment around here felt better, and the interior room was ample and welcome. I probably liked the Audi S4 for the same reasons.

Bottom line, the M3 or other sports sedans are probably a better fit for my needs. But, the M3 is not without faults for even my low demand driving. The fuel mileage is nowhere near the Cayman's 18 - 26. The M3 is 14 - 20. While the M3 does handle very well, it feel heavyish (and planted), due to its considerable weight. Not a bad thing in many conditions, but the Cayman can dart around some debris on the freeway like nothing else. And one real pet peeve for me with the M3 which the Cayman does not have. The M3 (and Audi S4) have 1st gear ratios that are hopelessly too low. My old M3 was actually geared TALLER than the new M3 in 1st, and I got tired of having soccer Moms run up my tail pipe as I shifted out of 1st at 3500 revs before I got halfway across the intersection. The Cayman S is much taller in 1st and does fine with it. That alone was a big deal to me, since I drive in traffic a lot.

- Phil

Last edited by Phil3; 07-31-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
rotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura about
CS all the way, mine's a wknd car and always look forward to driving it, puts a smile on my face =)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Ginza Man will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveC
If your only criteria is "fast" then the Cayman is a poor choice. The Cayman is not about stoplight drag racing or street fighting w/ the fast and furious crowd, but it is about precision handling in a true sports car package. The cabin is only cramped compared to a sedan derived coupe, but still not in Lotus territory, and the power is clearly sufficient to allow a driver to exploit the steering, braking, chasis. Except for price point, the Cayman and M3 are conceptually night and day.
After reading few pages of comment, I don't think anybody could have said it better than you. I own a Boxster S for 4 years now and still love it to this day. BMW M would def be a more practical car as far as dd and interior built quality is great, but CS is made for pure motor sport fanatics. If you are not type of person who tries to take fast turn at every chance you get, this car is not for you. CS is meant to drive hard like you are actually racing. M3 is great car but it's not even in the same category. Mid-engined means everything to how car performs. I only realized only after owning a such a fine automobile. Prior to this I thought tuned up Audi A4 was the s**t....until I have awakened.

I would probably own a Porsche until the day I die. Even if I have only 20k to spend money on used cars, I would still buy a used Porsche. "There is no substitute" for a good reason. There is nothing to replace how it feels on road when you are driving real hard on corners. It fits me like glove.