Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSJ Boxster Spider Top review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
WSJ Boxster Spider Top review

what about doing a complete review?

http://online.wsj.com/video/down-cam...ideocarousel_1

Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
weel, i believe the top will keep a lot of folks from ordering one. However, I live in Alabama, a rain state, specifically, Mobile, where annual rainfall is the HIGHEST in the US, and I have ordered one.

Listen, I have owned three porsche cabs, and presently have a 996 C2 cab daily driver. when it rains i have to find a shoulder, stop, and wait. if im going over 50 i dont even put the top up and i dont get wet.

i have practiced this on a spyder at the dealership. It is a pain, but i did it quickly after a couple of tries, without all that grunting this Boob did in his editorial.
mike

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
dave4tide is on a distinguished road
I have a Boxster as my every day driver. I don't think I could drive the Spyder every day mainly due to the top. I have had to put the top up on several times, love being able to put it up at 30 MPH.
The Spyder would make a great second car.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
It is just a silly top design, period. Esp coming from the Germans! Is Porsche trying to beat out Lamborghini's LP640 spyder for worst soft top setup in recent car history?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Surprised by the language and just over all poor review especially coming from the Journal. Strange

Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM
casaforte9 is on a distinguished road
the top has no insulation so it lets more ambient noise than a soft top which in turn lets on more ambient noise than a hard top

I think if you are someone putting the top up and down daily and several times between stops it can get tiring /annoying

But putting the top up or down is not a big deal, WSJ exaggerated the whole top issue and yes it is not much faster than boxster S but it is more livelier, handles better , flat cornering and feels more racy. Ordinary driver like me can feel this difference and manages wind draft better over boxster S ( probably due to the higher humps at the back, low side windows)

Car is water proof in heavy rain but it takes 2 minutes to put the top up or down and is noisier ( more wind noise, slightly louder engine sounds from cars in other lanes)over standard boxster S especially at speeds>70 mph on highways

To its favour it is one of the best looking porsches cabs top up or down and is grippier but have to live with a manual top that also may not hold a lot of snow if ungaraged

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
canada964 will become famous soon enough
i dearly love the idea of a manual top (eliminates all those mechanical issues with cable, motors, weight), but remain puzzled at this top design altho am drawn to its looks.

when i saw the car/read the reviews could not understand why the designers would stray from design of the last speedster editions....so much simpler/practical.

everything pops down under the "clamshell" (which quite frankly in the last edition may look better than the new solstice style)

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Surprised by the language and just over all poor review especially coming from the Journal. Strange
That's just Dan's style - especially w/ regard to Porsches or any sports car. Week prior he had the same tone regarding the new Cadillac CTS Coupe. He'll probably get booted from WSJ soon just as he did from LA Times...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 PM
jeff3wai is on a distinguished road
the spyder has no a/c. lol

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jeff3wai
the spyder has no a/c. lol
Wow, so, pay more for less? Porsche never ceases to amaze me w/ the gorging.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
The Spyder is a special car for a person who wants something different. You really can't compare it to a regular Boxster, it is entirely different animal, and probably a blast to drive! So what if the top is hard to put on and take off.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tranquility
Wow, so, pay more for less? Porsche never ceases to amaze me w/ the gorging.
you can add back the AC

Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by mikegee
you can add back the AC
For free?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tranquility
For free?
ROFLMAO

Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Free Ha!
However they did take the stupid cup holders out for free ! but you can't add them back for anything. one of the few things they've needed to do that they have actually done

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WSJ Boxster Spider Top review