Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R as Daily Driver ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
porschepro has a spectacular aura aboutporschepro has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
I should add that while the Cayman R will make a good daily driver, you might want to consider a Cayman S instead. Especially if you're not getting the sport buckets. You'd be giving up 10hp and carrying an just 33 extra lbs around (in the form of steel doors, assuming that you'll be adding A/C, radio and choose the sport seats). Using the money that you save by not getting an R, you can get PASM and have a car that's both GT car soft as well as track stiff.
I have never been a big fan of PASM. I am used to sliffly sprung cars though. My previous ride below
That car was a sportbike. 1,460 lbs, inline shifter, flower cut Alcons and 305 hp spell nirvanah!
Build quality was quite sketchy though. In the end it wore on me a lot. I would come into work every day and look at the Porsche parked in front of my desk and say to myself, "I should have got a CaymanS instead". The build quality on these cars is wonderful!
I would take the R over the S even if it was just 50lbs less. Everything is set up spot on.. Think GT3...

Attached Images  

Last edited by porschepro; 09-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
it's got everything, except, the mezger motor. that motor is the one.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
I should add that while the Cayman R will make a good daily driver, you might want to consider a Cayman S instead. Especially if you're not getting the sport buckets. You'd be giving up 10hp and carrying an just 33 extra lbs around (in the form of steel doors, assuming that you'll be adding A/C, radio and choose the sport seats). Using the money that you save by not getting an R, you can get PASM and have a car that's both GT car soft as well as track stiff.
Yes, that was my rationale. I also wanted ventilated seats, although now that I have them, not sure they do much anyway. As a DD, I also wanted the extra sound insulation, storage in doors. Didn't save any money over getting the R, since I added in the design package and LSD, but I still think my car makes a better DD.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
cayman r is just right for a dd.
i'm waiting to hear from guys that will track it. we need to know how well it tracks.