Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiptronic caymans, and aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 PM
bobmyjava is on a distinguished road
I have just installed a catback exhaust system on my 2005 boxster, base model. I love the performance and sound but just after installing it my CEL came on. I am getting mixed opinions from Porsche shops some tellilng me that with a catback exhaust with test pipes there is no way to get away from the CEL coming on. Others say that because there is still the primary cats on the car that the CEL should be able to be reset and still pass Calif. smog tests. So far the CEL was reset once but came back on after about 10 miles. Going back in for a diagnostic to try to find out why. Has anyone else had the problem and been able to find a solution?
Thanks

Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
GeorgeDean is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
After a lot of research and listening to sound clips I've ordered the Fister modified stock exhaust. It seems to have a great sound and reportedly, from all I've talked to, no drone. They have to make me one and then I have to get it installed so 2-3 weeks from now I'll have a report on this one. If it's not quite right, I'll remove the secondary cats at that time.

Any update??

Old 12-18-2011, 03:04 PM
bobmyjava is on a distinguished road
boxster exhaust

I take the car back in on Monday to have a diagnostic done to try to figure out why the CEL came back on. The primary cats are still on the car but on my year model the secondary are built right into the rest of the exhaust as one complete unit. The mechanic seems to think that there shouldn't be a problem and didn't understand why the CEL came back on. I have gotten conflicting stories from different shops so right now I don't know what the outcome will be. I like the new exhaust so I hope they can work it out. I find it hard to believe that a performance car with a good track record would make a car that you can't modify the exhaust, it just doesn't make sense so we will see.
Bob