Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiptronic caymans, and aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
scottrx7tt has a spectacular aura aboutscottrx7tt has a spectacular aura about
tiptronic caymans, and aftermarket exhausts

My girlfriend just bought an 07 Cayman base,with tiptronic transmission. Anyone here put an after market exhaust on their tips? My concern is drone. I own an 02 996 Turbo with tiptronic transmission, and the drone from my fabspeed exhaust was unbearable between 2000-2400 rpms. The cayman is my girlfriends daily driver, and I am sure she won't want to deal with ant drone issues, so, if anyone has tip transmission with after market exhaust, please let me know if there is any exhaust drone.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 PM
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
My girlfriend just bought an 07 Cayman base,with tiptronic transmission. Anyone here put an after market exhaust on their tips? My concern is drone. I own an 02 996 Turbo with tiptronic transmission, and the drone from my fabspeed exhaust was unbearable between 2000-2400 rpms. The cayman is my girlfriends daily driver, and I am sure she won't want to deal with ant drone issues, so, if anyone has tip transmission with after market exhaust, please let me know if there is any exhaust drone.

Thanks
the fact is that the less restrictive an exhaust is, besides gaining power, you gain noise and drone. It's just one of those things you cannot get away from.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Yep. Tiptronic or manual, it doesn't make any difference. Don't drive between 2,000 and 2,400 rpm. Keep the car above 3,000 rpms. Better performance and better for the engine.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
FVD exhausts are perfect for your car. You can pick a couple different options in CAT back systems to tailor it to your sound tastes, you get about a + 10 HP power boost, and there is absolutely NO DRONE. I love mine on my 2009 Boxster S !!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
After a lot of research and listening to sound clips I've ordered the Fister modified stock exhaust. It seems to have a great sound and reportedly, from all I've talked to, no drone. They have to make me one and then I have to get it installed so 2-3 weeks from now I'll have a report on this one. If it's not quite right, I'll remove the secondary cats at that time.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM
scottrx7tt has a spectacular aura aboutscottrx7tt has a spectacular aura about
what is the cost of this "fister" modification? and where can i find the sound clips?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
I had the Remus exhaust on my 08 cayman S and it was perfect! No drone and the sound was amazing!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Go to their website at: http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index.htm

Also YouTube has some. I like that the clips I've heard sound the same unlike most others I listen to that sound completely different with the same equipment.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
I had the Remus exhaust on my 08 cayman S and it was perfect! No drone and the sound was amazing!
One of the best selling exhaust system for the Cayman. Great performance gains with very little drone at a reasonable price!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Horsepower does not occur at the muffler. "Performance gains" must occur in the engine, induction, or at the headers. The best any muffler change will do is improve the sound, volume or tone (all subjective) of the exhaust note and add very slight amounts of hp if any. Full exhaust changes, with headers can net better, but still small, amounts of horsepower - but usually not in line with the cost.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pastorsteve
Horsepower does not occur at the muffler. "Performance gains" must occur in the engine, induction, or at the headers. The best any muffler change will do is improve the sound, volume or tone (all subjective) of the exhaust note and add very slight amounts of hp if any. Full exhaust changes, with headers can net better, but still small, amounts of horsepower - but usually not in line with the cost.
Actually, on the Cayman that is pretty nullified considering most cat backs delete the secondary cats which are not connected to the ECU, as a result you do not get a CEL.

Whereas changing the headers will trigger a CEL and there is barely any room for an equal length setup and none for a long tube setup.

The REMUS system pick ups 10whp on a non-S on across the powerband and 16whp on a S, 21whp peak !

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Even if one concedes this to be true - one non-droning exhaust (muffler mod) is around $350 and another is around $1,800. The OP asked about an exhaust modification that would eliminate the drone associated with most after-market exhausts. There are a couple of options at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Take your pick.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pastorsteve
What are your definitions of 'slight' and 'small?' Also, don't forget you can shave off some weight with an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM
For me, 10-12 is slight and small. It won't make any difference to "performance" for anyone with good driving skills. Most people will get much more performance from their car by learning to drive it to it's potential rather than dropping money looking for slight HP improvements and then trying to access them by simply pressing harder on the skinny pedal.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 PM
tenmad899 is on a distinguished road
Dont let vendors fool you...aftermarket exhausts DRONE, more or less. I know from personal experience and fellow Cayman owners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tiptronic caymans, and aftermarket exhausts