Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Starter Porsche Comment"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShahulX
I really like the look of the spyder, I mean love it.. I work at at Porsche dealer and everyone would comment on the spyder and think it was more than a 911 .. I guess it's still a toss up but I guess with the extra safety of the fixed roof, it makes more sense to do the R...I have a audi s4 convertible anyways..

Question is performance.. Excellence magazines track test of the R and spyder showed the spyder was better... Lighter and more bottom heavy maybe?

I think I'd change the pads and fluids on the cayman R for track use.. I've had good luck with motul rbf600 and carbotech pads... And of course change the tires to cups to toyo r8888 or ra1's (also liked those)... I think with the better pads and tires I can give the 911's a run.. I'm no pro but not a novice
With the top off, I think the Spyder is one of the best looking Porsches out there, at any price. With the top on, I like the look of the Cayman R better.

On performance, I recall seeing some reviews favoring the Spyder and some favoring the R, but the differences weren't large, so I'd say it's about a tie overall.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Ackmann is on a distinguished road
Sold C5 Vette and bought a 911 (not paid for), sold it and bought a Panoz Esperante (not paid for) sold the Panoz and bought a used factory Boxster S Aero I with all the usual aftermarket performace add on's. (PAID FOR)

So for me, I love my boxster s, it's lowerd 1 1/2" and drives like a go kart. When I compare it to cars I've driven, Ferrari, Maserati, 550hp 911 Turbo, Panoz, Lotus, Camaro SS, Shelby GT500, Viper. All I can say is they are all fun in their own way. For the money though, BOXSTER S for me. AND DID I MENTION ITS PAID FOR; for me it adds to the ownership experience. Whatever your driving, there is always something else that someone can point to as better. Enjoy what you have, many don't have the opportunity.

Last edited by Ackmann; 01-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
It's rarely a starter Porsche. Many 911 owner's switch to the Boxster after driving one because they handle better. If a starter vehicle can also be a final vehicle, then it is indeed a starter vehicle.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I've now had a good bit of opportunity to alternate between the 911S and Cayman R, including pushing both cars pretty hard. IMO, it's difficult to rank either car as better overall, so neither is a "starter" for the other. Both are great, and both feel like Porsches, but they're also quite different, so I think the choice between them is largely a matter of personal preference (assuming the "back seat" of the 911 isn't needed).

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM
imthedecidah will become famous soon enough
VTACH - I don't have enough POSTS to use private messaging yet... so i tracked you down in the forum. If you want to go back off-forum just send me your email. - Sorry to all others for my interruption...

Your car is beautiful! Wow! Thanks for the link and access to all the photos.

How many miles do you have currently?

I have detailed my "quest" on 6so and the CliffNotes version is that I think I'll be better off in a non-RS GT3 (I'll get realistically 4 DE session/yr and really need the car for a weekly 300mi RT hwy commute I make up and back to the Blue Ridge Mtns.-where things get interesting!)

That said, I am having a tough (near impossible) time finding a GT3 in an exciting color - mexblu, siggreen, orange are my 1-3 choices ...so your car sure is compelling.

Pls let me know miles and keep me in the loop.

Best

...oh, yeah, where is the car located?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
The Boxster/Cayman is a superior platform vs the 911. It is a superior sportscar: why else would Porsche constantly and intentionally underpwr the B/C engines? Technically, the B/C is a starter just because it is the least expensive, entry-level sportscar if you want a P-car. However, I don't view the B/C as a 'starter' in any derogatory sense because it is the superior handling car and actually find it funny that some 911 owners would look down on it just because their cars are more expensive: seems like some of the posers would choose the 911 while the real drivers would choose the B/C.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by tranquility
The Boxster/Cayman is a superior platform vs the 911. It is a superior sportscar: why else would Porsche constantly and intentionally underpwr the B/C engines? Technically, the B/C is a starter just because it is the least expensive, entry-level sportscar if you want a P-car. However, I don't view the B/C as a 'starter' in any derogatory sense because it is the superior handling car and actually find it funny that some 911 owners would look down on it just because their cars are more expensive: seems like some of the posers would choose the 911 while the real drivers would choose the B/C.
I wouldn't quite go as far as to say the B/C are superior. Setting power aside, the grip/cornering of the 911 is measurably on par with the B/C, and the 911 arguably provides at least as much feedback to the driver.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
scarab440 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MB7000
I got the 911 because I prefer the two extra seats in the back
This.
Else I would have gotten a boxter S or the C6 vette instead of my C4S

Plus my 911 is more entry level than most since it's only a 996

There is always someone bigger badder and faster

Last edited by scarab440; 01-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
usually, people who make that kind of comments cant afford one.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Jungwook is on a distinguished road
Wow!!!! Spoken like you mean it! :-)

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Enilder
usually, people who make that kind of comments cant afford one.
Heh, there you go, i.e. "my car is more expensive, therefore it MUST be better!!!!".

Anyway, using a hyperbolic example to illustrate, what if they reintroduced the 924 from olden days and priced it at $400,000...would anyone owning a 911TT feel inferior just because their car costs less?

I dunno about you. I look at the cars themselves, not at the price tags.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM
This video gives a sense of why the 911 platform works well, despite (and because of) the rear-weight bias. It also illustrates why the 911 can be trickier to drive than the Boxster/Cayman, which is a good reason for many people preferring the latter. The video focuses on the GT2 RS, but mostly applies to any 911.

http://www.carnewser.com/news/106825...-rs-is-so-fast

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 AM
scarab440 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Manifold
This video gives a sense of why the 911 platform works well, despite (and because of) the rear-weight bias. It also illustrates why the 911 can be trickier to drive than the Boxster/Cayman, which is a good reason for many people preferring the latter. The video focuses on the GT2 RS, but mostly applies to any 911.

http://www.carnewser.com/news/106825...-rs-is-so-fast
Great video thanks!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Heh, there you go, i.e. "my car is more expensive, therefore it MUST be better!!!!".

Anyway, using a hyperbolic example to illustrate, what if they reintroduced the 924 from olden days and priced it at $400,000...would anyone owning a 911TT feel inferior just because their car costs less?

I dunno about you. I look at the cars themselves, not at the price tags.
well for those of you who think the starter porsche is a joke, they will soon change their minds when they see one in person.

what a great looking car!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I own my third Boxster S. The Boxster/Cayman is the best balanced and easiest car to have fun with in the Porsche line-up. I admit that it was my first Porsche when I was in my 20's. Now in my 40's with many crazy cars in between, I still go back to this car because of how fun it is not because of it's expense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The "Starter Porsche Comment"