Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Starter Porsche Comment"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
The "Starter Porsche Comment"

You have to know, sometimes you wish you could take back a comment or say it was misunderstood... but it's the perception that people have..
Poor man's Porsche etc... Couldnt afford the 911 so i had to buy a Cayman... etc...
It does suck when you cant afford what you want.. but sometimes its a blessing in disguise as well...
I used to diss the boxter with my stupid aggorance until i drove it and then the spyder... And now i respect the car and applaud the drivers who secretly know how much freaking fun these cars are to drive... and as every other Porsche as well....
Bang for the buck how could you not put one of these in your garage if you had the room? Or had the proper mountainous road with some special twists and turns? Right! No disrespect but i know this comment does burn people.... and as far as it being "gay", even better... these cars are monsters behind the wheel!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
In case folks haven't seen this, the driver posted his drive of Cayman R v. GT3RS @ Monsa. Def shows what the 987's are capable of in hands of a competent driver. In this driver's case, in a very capable hand.

[YT]
[/YT]

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
FAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the rough
A starter Porsche is still better than a king-of-the-hill GM or other manufacturers. And with the forthcoming sub-Boxster, I wouldnt worry about those comments at all.

The Boxster/Cayman is a better pure sports car than the 911, from a purely physics point of view.

A sub-Boxster with a turbo'd 4 banger with good low end torque would be a hoot no matter what IMO. And frankly, I think a start Porsche is a great idea. It takes a certain kind of fool to think that they can go from your average boring commuter car and hop into a 911 Turbo S and not wreck it. A starter Porsche lets people find out if they're a Porsche kind of person, without the massive investment, and lets people hone their driving abilities before getting behind the wheel of a powerhouse that wants to rip your face off and then hit apexes on it.

Last edited by FAUEE; 12-07-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
funny post. all my friends call caymans "gaymans". i usually wave at porsche owners (cayenne owners never wave back, probably bc they're all soccer moms) but when i pull up next to a cayman or boxster, the owners seem to slouch a bit when they see my 911.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
this thread's gonna be fun.....

Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Let's start whippin it out and see how big it really is! LOL!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
even if true - ain't nothing wrong with a starter Porsche.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah the Boxster and Cayman (and base Carreras IMO) are entry-level Porsches. There's no real other way to view it. That being said, I love driving my starter Porsche.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
why would you need a more expensive Porsche if you can so 7:56 in nurburgring?lol

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
This is dumb; I tried to stay out of this thread but I just can't help it. I got a boxster because it excited me, not because I couldn't afford a 911 or because I couldn't handle it (that comment really made me laugh). I missed being behind a proper mid-engine car and at the end of the day the boxster had me smiling most.

I do concede that starter vehicles exist. A toyota tercel for example does nothing well except get from point a to point b with minimal gas consumption for very little money. That said, I simply don't believe in the concept of starter sports cars. It takes a certain level of responsibility, focus, and maturity to be able to manage any car at speed.
Does that mean then that people who buy a Paganni Zonda and not a Zonda R are buying entry level Paganni's? OR a Bugatti veyron 16.4 rather than a Grand Sport or Super Sport?

To me cars are toys. Yes they are utilitarian but I buy mine based on which will bring me the most pleasure and excitement. Simply put sports cars are an expression of emotion and self, and I've never need a 'starter' way of expressing either.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Jay9722 is on a distinguished road
This thread makes no sense. I bought a Spyder after looking at a lot of different Porsche's, 911 Turbo, GT3, and C4S. I drove them all and I went with the Spyder. I could've bought any of those cars so it wasn't a cost issue. My starter car was a Dodge Omni back in the 80's...not my 2011 Spyder. I am not gay, maybe a little metro when it comes to the way i furnish my homes, and I am a big guy 6'0 225. I have never, nor will I ever slouch when someone in a 911 or pricier pulls up next to me. I drive this car because it looks fantastic, feels great to drive, and helps me forget about my crappy job. I have respect for anyone that chooses to drive a Porsche...everything they make is better than every other car out there. Just my .02...

Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 PM
PolarPorsche is on a distinguished road
I'm on my third Boxster with my present 2011 Spyder, great cars and very capable. I laugh at the "starter Car" comments, it's a lots of car for the money. I especially like when a 911 owners starts to make "chick car" comments and I tell him that I've had a few GT3's for track cars but prefer the drive the Boxster on public roads.

I didn't buy the boxster because I couldn't afford the 911, I bought it because I like it.

Hoping to purchase a used Cup Car this winter but no plans to sell the Spyder, it's to much fun on the open road.

Last edited by PolarPorsche; 12-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The wife and I have a 911S and Cayman R, so we get to compare these cars back to back. The CR is no starter car; if anything, it represents a pinnacle of excellence.

And if cost is factored in, I'd say the Boxster and Cayman represent a better value than the 911, though the 911 represents a good value compared to exotics.

I'm actually a bit surprised that so many people are status-conscious about this sort of thing. To me, Porsche exemplifies the kind of car you drive because you love driving it, not to impress people. But maybe I'm not the norm, since I prefer to avoid the attention these cars confer in my suburban, mostly middle class, neck of the woods.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I started this thread because of the comments in the " my friends think a boxster is gay thread or something like that".. Then the " starter Porsche" comment got brought out.. Cause the basic 911 driver has a better car all the time or so he thinks lol!
Now know this, this is coming a 2012 Cayman R owner, but after driving several models of Porsches, a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche... Carry on.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Twice I have had my black on black CS mistaken for a Ferrari while I was driving around town, once by a guy and once by a gal. When I explained that it was actually a Porsche, they looked at me as if I were telling then a fib. Obviously, their first impression was that this was not a starter car of some sort. I love my car, it's looks and it's handling, and I don't care if anyone thinks it's a starter Porsche. Mostly it just gets a lot of double takes and positve verbal responses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The "Starter Porsche Comment"