Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R vs Audi TT RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
Question Cayman R vs Audi TT RS

Cayman R vs Audi TT RS. What do you think?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I traded my TT-RS for a Boxster Spyder.
I would have also traded it for a Cayman R.

That's what I think.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 AM
artrem is infamous around these parts
I had a 2010 Audi TTS prestige, which I loved. Fast, practical and the all leather interior was perfect. However, I've always driven a stick and while the DSG is amazing and all that, I started feeling like the computers were driving it, not me. Hated the substantial turbo lag, too. So, I was looking forward to the US delivery of the TTRS with great anticipation, since it had a stick and a bit more power. Then I drove a Cayman....

Can't comment specifically on the TTRS but the TTS to me seemed like a sporty luxary hatchback with performance tweaked by the onboard computers. The Cayman is more basic and visceral (if that makes any sense). Quoting a sales guy at Audi, "the TTS is like a rocket, while the Cayman is a jet fighter". I think that's pretty accurate.

But you have to drive both and see what fits you. They are both great cars in their own ways.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Dr. Bill, I also have a Boxster Spyder as well as a new GT3. What didn't you like about the TT RS? I was considering the Cayman R, but I think the TT RS is a lot of bang for the buck. I have a Misano Red on order for February delivery.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned
Dansh is infamous around these parts
The Cayman R is a real sports car to my opinion. It is much more responsive, accurate, less luxurious (a plus) and fun to drive in. Nevertheless, the others give a nice fight back...

Old 12-25-2011, 04:17 AM
khooni is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sprinter
Dr. Bill, I also have a Boxster Spyder as well as a new GT3. What didn't you like about the TT RS? I was considering the Cayman R, but I think the TT RS is a lot of bang for the buck. I have a Misano Red on order for February delivery.
TT RS better as a daily driver..

it so happens that in our family (extended), we have c63, GT3 RS, spyder, cayman R and TT RS.

TT RS is a good all weather daily driver, but if you can stretch it and are not too concerned with gas mileage, lack of AWD, the c63 is unbeatable....

caymanR as said before is a pure sports car therefore not ideal as a daily driver.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by khooni
TT RS better as a daily driver..

it so happens that in our family (extended), we have c63, GT3 RS, spyder, cayman R and TT RS.

TT RS is a good all weather daily driver, but if you can stretch it and are not too concerned with gas mileage, lack of AWD, the c63 is unbeatable....

caymanR as said before is a pure sports car therefore not ideal as a daily driver.
Among sports sedans, the C63 is my favorite, and I like it even better than the Panamera.

But as far as sports cars are concerned, the Cayman R blows the C63 away, and makes it feel almost like an SUV (albeit a powerful one).

Old 12-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sprinter
The TT-RS is a lot of car for the money. Since you've already got a Spyder and GT3, you have a couple awesome sports/track cars. The TT-RS would be a great DD. Although the seats are not as comfortable as the Porsche seats for long trips. Believe it or not, I prefer the sports buckets! The TT-RS also understeers like a pig at the limit. It will keep up with a Mustang Boss 302 in the straights (another amazing car that's a great value!) and hang with most Miatas in the corners. Until you get into the understeer problem. With the Spyder and GT3, you have no reason to track the TT, so that should not be an issue.

The TT-RS has a lot going for it - gobs of torque from 1600 rpm and up, roomy interior, decent storage space, very nice interior. The exhaust note is a bit quiet, but that can be fixed if desired. Although if you are one who likes to modify cars to fit your taste, there are many more aftermarket options for Porsche than for Audi.

The TT-RS a great sporty coupe. The Spyder is a great sports car.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Dr. Bill, Thanks for your response!