Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided: Boxter Spyder vs New Boxter S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Boxster Spyder speed limitation
Written by Pete Tremper, National DE Committee Chairman **
June 13, 2011
To: Regional President and Chief Driving Instructors (please forward to your CDI)
Re: Boxster Spyder
The Owner’s Manual for the Porsche Boxster Spyder contains a limitation on the operating speed of the car while the convertible top is in the “up” position.*As you are aware PCA DE Minimum Standards require that all convertible tops be in the “up” position during DE events.*This minimum standard applies to the Boxster Spyder as well and will not be waived.*
While it can be presumed that vehicle owners are familiar with operating limitations that have been imposed on the vehicle by its manufacturer, we are making you aware of this particular limitation in an effort to redouble the safety of our events.*According to Porsche, the top may suffer damage above 200 KPH (124 MPH). The damage is not specifically stated and efforts to have Porsche provide us with additional information have not been successful.*
Please remind Boxster Spyder owners participating in region DE events of this limitation on their vehicle and advise them that their speed must be limited to 124 mph at PCA events.*Also advise the owners that PCA has no way of measuring vehicle top speeds at our events and that it is therefore incumbent on the driver alone to make certain that this limitation is followed.*
Please let me know if you have any questions.

tremper9146@aol.com
Last Updated ( Monday, 27 June 2011 )

Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Airdoc
Boxster Spyder speed limitation
Written by Pete Tremper, National DE Committee Chairman **
June 13, 2011
To: Regional President and Chief Driving Instructors (please forward to your CDI)
Re: Boxster Spyder
The Owner’s Manual for the Porsche Boxster Spyder contains a limitation on the operating speed of the car while the convertible top is in the “up” position.*As you are aware PCA DE Minimum Standards require that all convertible tops be in the “up” position during DE events.*This minimum standard applies to the Boxster Spyder as well and will not be waived.*
While it can be presumed that vehicle owners are familiar with operating limitations that have been imposed on the vehicle by its manufacturer, we are making you aware of this particular limitation in an effort to redouble the safety of our events.*According to Porsche, the top may suffer damage above 200 KPH (124 MPH). The damage is not specifically stated and efforts to have Porsche provide us with additional information have not been successful.*
Please remind Boxster Spyder owners participating in region DE events of this limitation on their vehicle and advise them that their speed must be limited to 124 mph at PCA events.*Also advise the owners that PCA has no way of measuring vehicle top speeds at our events and that it is therefore incumbent on the driver alone to make certain that this limitation is followed.*
Please let me know if you have any questions.

tremper9146@aol.com
Last Updated ( Monday, 27 June 2011 )
Wasn't aware of this PCA ruling. That would limit the speeds for Spyder owners if they were participating in a PCA HPDE, which would defeat the purpose, especially in high-speed tracks. Intuitively, I suppose Porsche reached the reported top speed of the Spyder with the top down.

Does the same restriction apply to the New Boxster S??

Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 AM
DavidM is infamous around these parts
The new Boxster S laps the Ring @7:58 or so? I think the new Boxster S outperforms the Spyder, just as the 991 S can keep up with the GT3.

Both of those times are just Porsche claims. They may not be reflected in reality. According to independent mags, the new 991 a fair way behind the 997 GT3 ... so I'd go by that. Sport Auto, who are the best source of independent N'ring times clocked by the same driver has the 991 over 10sec slower than the GT3 there.

And I would not be surprised to learn the same thing about the new Boxster when compared to the Spyder. After all, Spyder is lighter, has the same power and on top of it has more track oriented set up.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DavidM
Both of those times are just Porsche claims. They may not be reflected in reality. According to independent mags, the new 991 a fair way behind the 997 GT3 ... so I'd go by that. Sport Auto, who are the best source of independent N'ring times clocked by the same driver has the 991 over 10sec slower than the GT3 there.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info

I double checked and the time was 11sec off GT3 RS. The GT3 time was only 4sec quicker than 991. See below ... though, note that all the times are from different days ... so there could easily be variation in those times from one day to another..

7.30 min – Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0
7.33 min – Porsche 997 GT3 RS mk2
7.40 min – Porsche 997 GT3 mk2
7.44 min – Porsche 991 Carrera S PDK
7.47 min – Porsche 996 GT3 RS
7.48 min – Porsche 997 GT3 mk1
7.48 min – Porsche 997 GT3 RS mk1
7.50 min – Porsche 997 Carrera S mk2
8.05 min – Porsche 997 Carrera S mk1

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Given the fact that GT3s come with the Sport Cup tires, the 4 sec advantage maybe a disadvantage with the 991. I can't wait for the tests with the 981. The 7:58 time is questionable, no source has been quoted. With PDK and launch control, the 981 is quicker than a comprably equipped Spyder. Boy, bench racing is a time honored pastime.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
If the pca doesn't want spyder owners on track that's fine... Plenty of other organizations let me.. Scca and trackdaze and my local track events at summit and VIR...

As for the op's question.. I had the same choice the last 2 months and decided on the spyder..

The new one may be faster with better electronics and electric steering and a wider base etc... But I chose the spyder because I think with carbon fiber buckets, a manual, a more tossable chassis, defeatable Psm , and hydrolic steering and the spyder looks... It's a way more fun time on track... I went that choice last month and am happy I did so..

I did put a harness in and upgraded pads , lines & fluids, exhaust, intake and tires

A new pdk 991 gt3 will be faster around track but don't tell me a 997 gt3 wouldn't be more fun

Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 AM
With PDK and launch control, the 981 is quicker than a comprably equipped Spyder.

What makes you say? As fair as I'm aware there has not been a single test to show one way or the other. Or is there a test (or something else) you know?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Just Porsches stated "ring time"... Again just bench racing haha

As for the cayman R... I thought about that too.. But open air on a track or anywhere is too good to pass on, add in the spyders Unique look over the caymans. Plus excellence magazine pretty much squashed (as did the lightning lap with car and driver) that the cayman R has any performance advantage over the spyder... Honestly with the harness a d built in rollbars, I wouldn't worry.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Turb-OH Brad has a spectacular aura aboutTurb-OH Brad has a spectacular aura aboutTurb-OH Brad has a spectacular aura about
If it were me, I would rather have the exclusivity (relative) of the Boxster Spyder. They are significantly more "raw" than a 981, and they feel more connected. I just cannot get used to that electric steering assist.

The braking feel of the 981 might be marginally better, however, so I would probably upgrade to the GT3 master cylinder, were I to get a Spyder.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Yea it's funny... I drove a 991 and decided to buy the 987 spyder haha... I'd love to get into a 997 gt3 rs at some point I think..

Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DavidM
With PDK and launch control, the 981 is quicker than a comprably equipped Spyder.

What makes you say? As fair as I'm aware there has not been a single test to show one way or the other. Or is there a test (or something else) you know?
Yep, it's official, 7:58 for the 981S @Nurburgring. Now let's guess what Sport Auto and Horst Von Saurma can record. 8:02? Sport Auto and Von Saurma recorded a 8:06 with the Cayman R on Conti R compound tires...

Last edited by Cayman Cab S; 05-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.