Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Air Filter Replacement - 987

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
DIY Air Filter Replacement - 987

DIY Guide to Replacing the Air Filter in the 987 Boxster

You can download the PDF here: https://www.box.com/s/2b0a1132ac51680b0d6b

This is a suggestive guide detailing steps one can take to replace the engine air filter in the 987 Boxster. The first section includes steps to put the Boxster convertible top into service position, as the 2007-on Porsche owner’s manual no longer includes these steps. Putting the top in service position will enable the owner to access the engine bay.

Important dress/outfit tip: You’ll be leaning on the car/paint OFTEN. Unless you don’t care about paint work, I strongly recommend wearing clothes that do not have buttons, zippers or made of tough fabric (i.e., AVOID button down shirts, jeans, belts, etc.). Gym shorts, sweat pants and regular tee shirts are great. If you want to be George Costanza and “drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable”, now is the time.

Putting Convertible Top in Service Mode:
1) Open the convertible about half way as pictured below. According to pre-2007 owner’s manual, Porsche suggests a distance of 60cm (23.5 inches) between the top windshield frame and the convertible top.
Name:  Topopen.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  42.1 KB

2) Lift the rear glass about 6 inches or so to find a silver wire cable attached to the window frame via a ball-joint. Simply “pop” the ball-joint out of the socket (circled & close-up). Repeat for other side. This let you lift the glass frame greater than the 6” now.
Name:  cablesocket.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  36.6 KB

3) As you lift up on the rear window glass frame, you’ll find a fabric cover connected to a drain gutter/channel (blue line) clipped to the trunk firewall. Unclip the “gutter” from the two clips (circled) located at the firewall to the trunk - see close-up.
Name:  glassframe.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  73.0 KB

4) Now, lift up on the rear window, un-Velcro the tether (circled) and hook the “hoop” to the front of the convertible top to hold the window frame at service position (see picture & close-up). That’s it. The top is now in service position. I then used some painters tape to “tape up” the fabric cover.
Name:  tetherhook.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  60.0 KB

Removing Bose Subwoofer:
If you have the Bose system with Subwoofer, you’ll need to now remove the subwoofer from the shelf. If you don’t have this option, you can skip to next section.
1) Look for two twist lock holding the subwoofer down (circled). Turn the lock 90 degrees to un-lock. Repeat for other side (arrow). You should now be able to move/wiggle the subwoofer unit.
Name:  subwoofer.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  45.5 KB

2) You must now disconnect the power connector at the sub. I found it was easier to wiggle the driver side of the sub at an angle towards rear of the car. This will give you more room to flip open the door and disconnect the connector. Now is also a good time to lay a towel down across the trunk to protect the paint.
Name:  subwooferangled.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  37.5 KB

3) The power connector is located passenger side, under a small “flip-up door”. There is a small plastic clip (circled) that you need to push down so you can flip-up to open the door. Reach in, follow the cable and unclip the power connector. Like other connectors, you squeeze the sides and pull. After that, simply remove the sub from the trunk side.
Name:  subdoor.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  subconnector.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  41.9 KB

Removing Engine Cover Carpet & Aluminum:
1) Un-lock the two twist locks by turning them 90 degrees. Now, you can lift the carpet out of the way.
Name:  Unlockcarpet.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  52.2 KB

2) Undo the five T30 torx screws (2 towards back of trunk and 3 under the roll-bar to remove the aluminum engine cover. Tip: You can remove the aluminum cover from the cabin side to avoid risk of scratching paint.
Name:  alumcover.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  alumcoverremove.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  34.2 KB

Air Filter Replacement:
1) Find the airbox (on drive side) and remove two Philips head screws (circled). Pull up and remove the cover/flap from the airbox, then remove the 3rd screw (circled)
Name:  airbox.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  44.9 KB

2) Push the filter towards front of car. Once filter is free, wiggle it out of the airbox.
Name:  removefilter.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  59.1 KB

3) Re-installation is reverse. Be patient as you put the filter back into the box. The filter removes easier than the install. Depending on location, 17.7k miles filter looks like this.
Name:  filtercompare.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  76.7 KB

While you have the engine bay open, it’s also a good time to check your hydraulic fluid. Open the twist top (circled) and check the dipstick – one side marks for hot/other side for cold.
Name:  hydraulic.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  44.7 KB

Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 PM
jnkk1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info & great write up for the boxster. The Cayman is much easier! Need to replace the filter on my friends car.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
glad to help. The most time consuming piece was removing the sub... but that only b/c you don't have a lot of room to unplug the connector.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
shermanator is on a distinguished road
Thank you Lithium, very detailed.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 AM
syaero is on a distinguished road
Excellent detail write up! Thanks for your effort, Lithium! This helps a lot of us who owns the 987s.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Goshow is on a distinguished road
Great right up thanks

Ah nice right up I need to replace my air filter too.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 AM
alainbil is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lithium1330

This is a suggestive guide detailing steps one can take to replace the engine air filter in the 987 Boxster. The first section includes steps to put the Boxster convertible top into service position, as the 2007-on Porsche owner’s manual no longer includes these steps. Putting the top in service position will enable the owner to access the engine bay.

Important dress/outfit tip: You’ll be leaning on the car/paint OFTEN. Unless you don’t care about paint work, I strongly recommend wearing clothes that do not have buttons, zippers or made of tough fabric (i.e., AVOID button down shirts, jeans, belts, etc.). Gym shorts, sweat pants and regular tee shirts are great. If you want to be George Costanza and “drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable”, now is the time.

1) Open the convertible about half way as pictured below. According to pre-2007 owner’s manual, Porsche suggests a distance of 60cm (23.5 inches) between the top windshield frame and the convertible top.

2) Lift the rear glass about 6 inches or so to find a silver wire cable attached to the window frame via a ball-joint. Simply “pop” the ball-joint out of the socket (circled & close-up). Repeat for other side. This let you lift the glass frame greater than the 6” now.

3) As you lift up on the rear window glass frame, you’ll find a fabric cover connected to a drain gutter/channel (blue line) clipped to the trunk firewall. Unclip the “gutter” from the two clips (circled) located at the firewall to the trunk - see close-up.

4) Now, lift up on the rear window, un-Velcro the tether (circled) and hook the “hoop” to the front of the convertible top to hold the window frame at service position (see picture & close-up). That’s it. The top is now in service position. I then used some painters tape to “tape up” the fabric cover.

Removing Bose Subwoofer:
If you have the Bose system with Subwoofer, you’ll need to now remove the subwoofer from the shelf. If you don’t have this option, you can skip to next section.
1) Look for two twist lock holding the subwoofer down (circled). Turn the lock 90 degrees to un-lock. Repeat for other side (arrow). You should now be able to move/wiggle the subwoofer unit.

2) You must now disconnect the power connector at the sub. I found it was easier to wiggle the driver side of the sub at an angle towards rear of the car. This will give you more room to flip open the door and disconnect the connector. Now is also a good time to lay a towel down across the trunk to protect the paint.

3) The power connector is located passenger side, under a small “flip-up door”. There is a small plastic clip (circled) that you need to push down so you can flip-up to open the door. Reach in, follow the cable and unclip the power connector. Like other connectors, you squeeze the sides and pull. After that, simply remove the sub from the trunk side.

1) Un-lock the two twist locks by turning them 90 degrees. Now, you can lift the carpet out of the way.

2) Undo the five T30 torx screws (2 towards back of trunk and 3 under the roll-bar to remove the aluminum engine cover. Tip: You can remove the aluminum cover from the cabin side to avoid risk of scratching paint.

Air Filter Replacement:
1) Find the airbox (on drive side) and remove two Philips head screws (circled). Pull up and remove the cover/flap from the airbox, then remove the 3rd screw (circled)

2) Push the filter towards front of car. Once filter is free, wiggle it out of the airbox.

3) Re-installation is reverse. Be patient as you put the filter back into the box. The filter removes easier than the install. Depending on location, 17.7k miles filter looks like this.

While you have the engine bay open, it’s also a good time to check your hydraulic fluid. Open the twist top (circled) and check the dipstick – one side marks for hot/other side for cold.
Wow you did an excellent job detailling all the steps, being an ex Aircraft Technician I really appreciate the work you have done, I am doing a clutch replacement on my Boxster 2006 as we speak. Cheers

Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Martins_2000 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thank you very very much

Originally Posted by lithium1330

Removing Bose Subwoofer:

Air Filter Replacement:

Fantastic.

Thank you very much.

I live in Brazil and here is very difficult and very expensive to maintain a Porsche.
Helped me a lot and saved a lot $$$$$$$$.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
This is the first time I've seen this particular DIY. Awesome job Cris

Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Croc is on a distinguished road
indeed - very helpfull.
many thanks !!!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Most excellent. Also would serve to instruct access to the motor to replace the plenum and TB. OP's effort should be a DIY sticky.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 AM
cesarpeji is on a distinguished road
what is the hydraulic fluid for. if its low need to add. what kind to use and what is that functions. thank you. please post an answer ..anybody. just want to know.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Croc is on a distinguished road
it's for power steering.