Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SF area owners-Wanna lend me your Cayman/Boxster/911 and you use mine when in So FL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Dr Chill is on a distinguished road
SF area owners-Wanna lend me your Cayman/Boxster/911 and you use mine when in So FL?

I'm traveling to SF and plan on taking my 16 yr old son down to Big Sur along the PC Hwy. Inquiring about cool cars to drive while we're there opened my eyes to the ridiculous costs of doing so. These exotic car rental companies wanted $1000+ a day for a Carrera convertible and $2000+ for a Gallardo Spyder. It would be a complete waste to travel these roads in a crappy Avis rental. Even V6 Mustang Convertibles are >$135 a day.

I would be happy to return the favor of loaning my 2008 Cayman S or 2008 Audi A3 (if more room is needed) to anyone traveling to South FL if they were to let me use their car when I fly to SF June 15. I would probably want to borrow it for 3 days or so.

My car has full insurance coverage as I'm sure yours does too. I have about $25,000 in go fast and track mods on the Cayman S too. You guys may recognize me from the Corvette Forum, MBWorld, VWVortex, or other car forums under the same username.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Try Getaround. They're a peer to peer based service in SF and have, amongst other cars, an M3 Convertible a friend of mine "rented". Not sure on how much they charge, but I can assure you it's way less than a rental company.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Dr Chill is on a distinguished road
Peer to peer car sharing is a cool idea, but there are very few nice cars, and people have an inflated idea of what their car should rent for. Cheaper to rent from the major companies for these cars.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
There are definitely plenty of people overcharging for their cars, but also consider searching through several different sites, not to mention, you can obviously negotiate lower rates. Example: I once found a guy with a 2006 SL65 willing to rent at $200 a day in the LA area.

That being said, when is the next time you'll be driving PCH in Big Sur with your son? Unless you plan on doing this often, I suggest splurging for the sake of making some unforgettable memories.

Not to tell you what you do, but I wish my dad would have taken me driving in Big Sur when I was 16...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I'm traveling to SF and plan on taking my 16 yr old son down to Big Sur along the PC Hwy. Inquiring about cool cars to drive while we're there opened my eyes to the ridiculous costs of doing so. These exotic car rental companies wanted $1000+ a day for a Carrera convertible and $2000+ for a Gallardo Spyder. It would be a complete waste to travel these roads in a crappy Avis rental. Even V6 Mustang Convertibles are >$135 a day.

I would be happy to return the favor of loaning my 2008 Cayman S or 2008 Audi A3 (if more room is needed) to anyone traveling to South FL if they were to let me use their car when I fly to SF June 15. I would probably want to borrow it for 3 days or so.

My car has full insurance coverage as I'm sure yours does too. I have about $25,000 in go fast and track mods on the Cayman S too. You guys may recognize me from the Corvette Forum, MBWorld, VWVortex, or other car forums under the same username.

Hey, I recognize your name from the Corvette Forum. I use to be on there under MyblueC5 but haven't been there forever. I had to laugh when you said a convertible Mustang was $130 per day. My body shop rents out Mustangs from hertz for 30.00 per day. (convertibles when they are available)

I guess everything is more expensive on the left coast.

And I'm with DBV, I think the look in your son's face to tool around in a cool *** car on Big Sur would be priceless.

The memory he would have when he would tell his kid how his father took him down Big Sur in a Gallardo when he was a kid might be something money can't buy.

Good luck and make sure you take some pics.

Mark